Braces and the Workplace

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pumpkinpatch

Braces and the Workplace

#1 Post by pumpkinpatch »

Just wanted to hear people's experiences about when you first got braces and people's reactions at work. Are most people supportive? Also, does everyone feel that they can be free to get whatever lig colors they want, or do people think it's weird that you wouldn't want it to be discreet? I'm a teacher, and I love color! I'm just starting my career, so I have to wait until I can save up for braces. But after seeing everyone's posts on here, I'm definitely going to do it hopefully soon! One more thing... has anyone ever had to go on interviews while in braces? Please share some experiences, I need a lot of support before I can really do this!

alexa

#2 Post by alexa »

Braces in the workplace has never been much of a problem for me, of course we have a rather casual environment here.

No one ever minds the color choices I make (and I've made some wild ones! :wink: ) and a couple of people even became interested in treatment themselves. No one has taken the plunge yet, but I bet when they see me all retainer'd out in a couple of months, they'll all be signing up!

8)
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Lil Sunshine

#3 Post by Lil Sunshine »

Well I am in the process of getting my on, in two days, and I work.

My place of employment has been very very supportive and understanding so much in fact so this past week when I got most of my molar bands on they bought me pasta for lunch so that I didnt have to chew. Everyone always asks when I am getting them on and commenting on how much I will love my new smile when I am all done.

As for the lig colours....I am like you. Love colour and so I am looking forward to getting something bright each and everytime.

May I aks what grades you teach? I personally think that depending on the ages that it might be pretty cool to have a teacher in braces.

kypsis

#4 Post by kypsis »

I work in a pretty conservative business environment, and have had my braces on for a month now, and no one has said anything negative. Mostly curious questions as to how they feel; or sympathetic comments from people who had them as a kid.

That aside, when I told my boss I'd be getting color ligs, she said "you probably shouldn't if you have the option for clear, given that this is a conservative environment." But I did get purple ligs for both my top clear brackets and my bottom metal ones about 2 weeks ago, and either she has not noticed the color, or she decided it's not that crazy - cause so far she hasn't said anything about it :)

bracedintx

#5 Post by bracedintx »

Most people were supportive of me getting my braces--my last job was very casual. The kids liked to comment on them, the younger ones like to try and touch them ;)

I went on 6 job interviews was very nervous about how people reacted. Not one person commented on the braces. I had more than one offer so I was relieved to see that my teeth didn't seem to have an effect on my image as a potential employee. I have coloured ligs and it's only sometimes that I get comments, but it's never anything negative. Just things like, "hey! you got a new colour!" I work with the parents as well and they still seem to listen to me, regardless of my teeth. People are usually curious and like to share about when they had braces.

Cute story: One little girl I work with has just started talking recently--during her last visit she looked at my mouth for a few seconds, reached out and said "pink!" (referring to my ligs). :lol:
self-ligating metal brackets all around

alexa

#6 Post by alexa »

Cute story: One little girl I work with has just started talking recently--during her last visit she looked at my mouth for a few seconds, reached out and said "pink!" (referring to my ligs). :lol:
Haha..That reminds me of when my downstairs neighbor was 5...she hadn't been to school yet, and was unfamiliar with the idea of braces. The first time she and her dad were heading into the building at the same time as me and she saw the braces, she pointed and with a huge smile said, "I like the jewelery on your teeth!"

:lol:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

bracedintx

#7 Post by bracedintx »

with a huge smile said, "I like the jewelery on your teeth!"
Out of the mouths of babes, Alexa.
We should all think of our braces that way!! :D
self-ligating metal brackets all around

Nancy51

#8 Post by Nancy51 »

My colleagues are fairly eclectic about when to be formal and when to be casual. Also, they tend not adapt calmly to change. As a result, I casually let one co-worker know in advance that I was to be braced and then just showed up one afternoon in braces.

Most of my co-workers had failed to notice the braces until the second day, even though the uppers are only partially clear (Damon III metal brackets.) They were so engrossed by not having noticed them the previous day, that they forgot to think about whether seeing an adult in braces was something they liked or not. (Of an employee pool of about 1,500, I may be the only one in braces--no kidding.) I proceeded with my work as usual.

Although I could sense that most of them were somewhat distracted at first by my slightly altered speech pattern, most seem to have adjusted to the novelty by now, the third week.

The colleague who knew in advance now cheerfully welcomes me in the morning with, "Good morning, Smiley!" All in good fun, as usual between us.

The best part has been that by keeping everything low key, I have hardly thought about the braces beyond the daily upkeep. But it all could have become a two-year nightmare, I know, if I had not gone into the project with a calm attitude. :)

IzzyCharm

#9 Post by IzzyCharm »

I only told a couple of people I was getting braces. My agent almost dropped dead when he finally saw me (i was in hiding for about 2 weeks) and my main photographer didn't even know WHAT to say. Everyone has gotten used to them now but at first it wasn't a good situation. Now we just use my braces as a marketing tool lol

SnowSara

#10 Post by SnowSara »

Everyone's been super supportive and they love my brightly colored ligs. I may have even inspired a few others to get into braces - when I started my treatment I was the only one in the office with braces, now there are 2 women older than I that are just starting with braces! My office mate, a man in his 30's, is also saving up and planning ahead to get braces soon! I think I started a trend!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Miss Smiley

#11 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'm an Executive Asst. and my boss has never said anything about my choice of ligs and clothing style. I think they like me better with colored ligs because I noticed that they tend to talk to me more face-to-face rather than over IM chat.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Pixel Witch

#12 Post by Pixel Witch »

I work remote from home, so it has been a non-issue for me, but I think it would be incredibly rude for anyone to comment negatively on anyone's orthodontics, no matter the situation, and moreso if it was a professional one.

fmjess

#13 Post by fmjess »

I haven't really had a problem, and I talk on the phone all day!

My mouth gets sore, and I still have a slight lisp and have trouble saying numbers still.... but other than that, no big deal. I've only had them on a week.

I've told pretty much everyone, and have even been bearing my teeth to show people (which I would have never done before).

I kinda like the look of them now and I'm sure the kids you are teaching will be super proud of you!

dojo

#14 Post by dojo »

My work means doing radio shows. The huge problem so far is that even if I have Damons only on molars and premolars I do have a slight lisp. And I need PERFECT diction ... but I do work a lot on this and most of the time I sound normal. Few "mishaps", but scarce in the end. I was scared it would be worse and I am improving my speech day after day.

The coleagues were very supportive. I showed them pictures with pre-post treatment and they cannot believe how awesome results there can be. I told them a lot of things about braces and how they work and they are interested in all this stuff. It's something new for them (none had braces) and they just act normal.
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

bracieb

#15 Post by bracieb »

I'm a teacher too- it's been a total non-issue. Today I had to talk for an entire class, so I apologized to the students in advance for my slighty fuzzy speech, and nobody batted an eye. Many of them have braces or recently had them, or are going to get them, so they don't think about it at all.

I have a thick wire on the inside of my lower arch, and it does get in the way when I talk. Sometimes I think I sound like Sylvester the Cat! That is exaggerated by my being a bit self-conscious about it, of course. I don't think it is really all that noticeable to others.

Think of Sylvester giving a lecture on Early Christian art... !

My colleagues have been fine, too, and some of my friends are getting braces as well, so I have lots of company. As for interviews- why worry? Nobody will care. Just go ahead and fix your smile!