uppers vs lowers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalmizzle

uppers vs lowers

#1 Post by metalmizzle »

i've had my uppers for 6 months now and have had no problems (yay for me!), but im getting my lowers tomorrow and have heard from a few people (including my ortho) that they can be more difficult to deal with.just wondering if anyone else has had a lot harder time with their lowers and is there anything i might not be expecting?

thanks and wish me luck!

metaljen

#2 Post by metaljen »

I got my uppers and lowers at the same time, just a little over a week ago... I'm sure it's different for every person but my lowers actually bothered me less than my uppers. The tingling or sensitivity has lasted longer in my uppers. I'm sure you'll do fine after getting your lowers, good luck!

lea72104

#3 Post by lea72104 »

I just have my uppers as well, i get my lowers next tuesday and i was wondering the same thing. I have 5 spacers right now and they're pure torture!

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I got my uppers first and I thought they were okay. Sensitive and tight, but nothing that stopped me from going out. Lowers, WOW! I am still having a hard time. They still have a hard time biting into things and when I floss, OUCHERS! My gumline actually looks bruised, as if my lower gums got into a fight with my braces and the braces kicked my lower gums in the @ss.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Thathrill

#5 Post by Thathrill »

Haven't had any real problems with the bottoms except for the archwire poking me in the back. Altho I have not needed wax in a very long time. I have lost 2 brackets on the uppers. One was lost right after I was braced. The other popped off about 3 weeks later. Other than that, uppers and lowers are both equally annoying LOL
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

lab117

#6 Post by lab117 »

As far as pain goes I have had really no discomfort with either the uppers or lowers. All my problems have been with having the lower brackets come loose. I have now popped 6 of the original 10. I still don't think it is what I am eating since it is mostly fish, rice and other soft foods, but according to my ortho he says I need to be more carefull of what I eat.

So far no upper brackets have come off!

Delag

#7 Post by Delag »

I also had uppers well before my lowers. I found the lowers a bit harder to get used to because I felt quite a bit of tension in my chin (I guess from the lower lip pullingover the brackets). However, I find my uppers much more sensitive/tender when I have adjustments - even with the ortho has said that the lowers were going to hurt.