Gums...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracesRacer

Gums...

#1 Post by BracesRacer »

So this may have been covered but how do gums react to teeth moving? I have a tooth that twisted a little bit and the gums that were there are still in the wrong shape... hard to describe but basically the tooth is in the right spot but the gums that were formed around it while it was in the incorrect position are still in the incorrect position.... how quickly do gums move or receed? I can floss there but the gum is usually very tender so I have to be careful. I am hoping it is going to move to the natural shape cause it looks blah...

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

It's a real complex situation and has lots of variables. The short and simple answer is that the architecture of your gingiva (gums) follows the bone. If you look at an x-ray of a healthy 18 year old with perfect bone levels you will see a nice smooth curvature of bone around the tooth with a corresponding gum architecture. There are certain levels in which the gingiva remain above the top of your bone. This is why people get "black triangles" with periodontal disease. The bone disappears and the gingiva cannot be as high up on the teeth.

Hope this helped a little....

Best,
Rory

BracesRacer

#3 Post by BracesRacer »

That kinda helps... so what i am getting from this is that once my teeth are lined up and the bone structure is what its supposed to be the gums will follow suit in about a year? I dont have receeding gums I just have too much of it where the tooth turned and just kinda trapped the gum there. If the gums are moving then they are moving reaalllly slow...

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

That kinda helps... so what i am getting from this is that once my teeth are lined up and the bone structure is what its supposed to be the gums will follow suit in about a year? I dont have receeding gums I just have too much of it where the tooth turned and just kinda trapped the gum there. If the gums are moving then they are moving reaalllly slow...
A year is on the long end of the spectrum, it should be within a few months. Things are different if you have areas of recession or hyperplastic tissue or inflammation. Assuming everything is healthy on your end it sounds like you may be interested in gingival recontouring (a nice way of saying electrosurgery).

Good Luck,
Rory

BracesRacer

#5 Post by BracesRacer »

My mouth and gums are all really healthy and I do an excellent job of keeping everything clean... I have hated my teeth all my life and now that I am finally taking the steps for a perfect smile I plan on keeping it that way! I didn't pay all this money for nothin thats for sure :) I think the gum is already moving a tiny bit... but its slow going. Its not really that bad just one of those concerns I have from time to time... If i dont ask about my own teeth who will :D

Thanks for your input!

wwdia

#6 Post by wwdia »

I couldn't help but to ask you all a question gum related, since you were already on the subject...
I had the right upper 1st bicuspid removed yesterday and besides feeling (and looking ) like a hillbilly, I've noticed that there appears to be a "chunk" missing from my gum (which only makes it look even worse!)will this grow back?
Thanks
Diane