Times between adjustments....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

skintz

Times between adjustments....

#1 Post by skintz »

When i had my brace fitted (a week ago to the day), my orthodontist said he would see me again in 4 to 6 weeks, or was it 6 to 8....? Anyway, i got my next appointment letter through and its a whole 10 weeks from when i had my braces fitted. This worries me, it seems ages between adjustments. Is this normal? How long does everyone else have between adjustments?

Thanks

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

There's a thread here about this viewtopic.php?t=19607

10 weeks isn't excessive although as a general guide (although it varies widely), six weeks seems to be about the average. 10 weeks won't hold up your treatment. You should see a quite lot of changes in that time, as the teeth can start to align pretty quickly with the thin flexible wires used early in treatment.

thenumber12

#3 Post by thenumber12 »

Hey skintz.
When I had my braces the appointments were 4 weeks apart. Rather once every month. Typically I'd say appointments can range from 4-6 weeks apart but it can also depend on the type of braces you have. For self ligating braces such as Damons, there's a longer distance between appointments which can reach up to 6 weeks depending on the case and your orthos approach.
Personally, I've never heard of anyone waiting passed 6 weeks for an appointment.

I would call and ask.

skintz

#4 Post by skintz »

I don't know what my braces are, they're the 'full-on train track' type-NHS braces for any british people on here (!).
I've taken some photos of my arches to monitor the progress but 10 weeks seems so long. What happens if one wire's not quite right or something and it sets me 10 weeks back in my treatment? Don't they need to monitor the teeth moving?

Thanks guys

Pixel Witch

#5 Post by Pixel Witch »

Mine told me 6-8 weeks in general, but depending on where we are and what he is currently doing, it can vary from as little as 2 weeks to 3 months.

My first adjustment is 4 weeks after installation ( :lol: ) where I will get an adjustment, new ligs and spacers.

2 weeks after that I get new ligs and molar bands. ( boo!)

After that he thinks 6 weeks to next adj.

sashafeelgood

#6 Post by sashafeelgood »

Pixel Witch, I am getting spacers 6 weeks after being braced and then getting molar bands the following week like you. I was concerned that I was the only one of the board that gets spacers and molar bands AFTER being braced. Glad to know we are in the same boat. Any idea on why the dentists are using this strategy? I will ask my ortho as well.

Thathrill

#7 Post by Thathrill »

as i posted in the other thread, I was told 8-10 weeks. I have ceramic uppers and bottoms. While I will receive my first adjustment next week at week 7. I am interested to see if it will be another 8-10 weeks after that. I think my teeth moved fairly quickly altho there is one stubborn one lol
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

fmjess

#8 Post by fmjess »

I'm not sure if it was just my ortho sucking up to me, but she seeing me every 4 weeks. She said that if we go 6-8 weeks she "worries about her patients" so she sees us every 4. lol

I seem to be a brat (a 27 year old wuss) and she's left it open to see her whenever I want :oops:

I would go crazy waiting 10 weeks! Like the other posters mentioned, a lot of movement can happen in that time and you'd have wires sticking into your cheeks!

SinOnYourLips

#9 Post by SinOnYourLips »

I also would say, I;m one of the lucky ones and I see my ortho every 4 weeks. But my next adjustment is goin to be in 2 weeks this time! :D

Thingsis I had a wire put it to create space for a tooth and in one month I got more than enough space but it got spread out unevenly, alot on the side where i need it less and less on the side where I actually need it a lil more, but in any case it was a mm away so my ortho said "ok listen wear this for another month and then we def take it off! Although it probably will move enough in 2 weeks!" So me, dying to get the ugly spring out of the front of my mouth, asked my ortho if I could maybe than come in, in 2 weeks instead of 4! And he said "alright!" he said he will see if I have enough space then, and if I do we will get it out, if not I'll wait another 2 weeks.

I love my ortho!

So exactly next week, I'm going in for my already 4th adjustment! Although I only been in braces for...I don't even know, check my ticker :wink:

Yay for shorter time between adjustments!
I know peoeple often fear adjustments because of the uncomfort and pain it brings for a few days after, but every adjustment to me is like a party, I trully would see my ortho every day if I could :shock:

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life