Braces off in November...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MrKadash

Braces off in November...

#1 Post by MrKadash »

I will be wearing what the Ortho calls "spaghetti elastics" starting in August for twelve weeks where, from what I understand, rubber bands will be intertwined throughout my whole mouth connecting both upper and lower teeth. Apparently this is the last stage of treatment, and sounds complicated. Any advice from those who are familiar with what I'm talking about would be helpful....

JumpTheDitch

#2 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Twelve weeks, Mr Kadash??

Sounds similar to what my ortho calls a 'squeeze' but thankfully he only puts the bands in place on debanding eve.

Looking at Brandy's pics (thanks Meryaten) they look like similar processes.

The 'squeeze' thingy is done the afternoon before debanding. The office advised me to eat my evening meal before my appointment where Dr W removes the wires, places elastics over every upper bracket to a corresponding lower one (doing something tricky to sort out my midline @ the same time). They advise you can talk but only through clenched teeth, and the bands cannot be removed until I'm debanded the next morning. The idea of not being able to remove them makes me feel a little claustrophobic but at least it's only for 16 hrs or so (making me wonder how much effect they can really have :?:, but he's the boss).

Compared to your twelve week sentence I count myself lucky, but at least you'll have control in that if you're freaking out or need to eat, go to a meeting, etc, you can removed the bands and replace when convenient.

I can't advise how it feels yet but am due for debanding soon so will post again then.

Good luck :thumbsup: