What's this lower wire thingie called?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracieb

What's this lower wire thingie called?

#1 Post by bracieb »

I have a wire on the inside of my lower arch. I assume it it to push my left side out- the molars there are pushed in toward the inside of my mouth. It was a bear to fit as the left molar it attaches to is twisted. I think it will also push my crooked front tooth out, as it presses on that tooth.

Just wondering what it is called.

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I think it's a bihelix expander, although I can't see it that well from the pic.

There's a pic of one here http://www.braces4oxford.co.uk/Expanders.htm

Another member here, Gennel, had one too. There's a pic showing it here viewtopic.php?t=18461&highlight=

jorx

lingual arch

#3 Post by jorx »

I wear one of those, it is called 'lingual arch' and it is like the TPA but for the lowers. My ortho has told me that it prevents my molars to move forward while she is moving the rest of my teeth.

Well, maybe yours is a little bit different, mine seems to have less loops...

It has not bothered me, except for some tongue soreness and the normal discomfort of having another piece of metal inside the mouth!

bracieb

#4 Post by bracieb »

Thanks for the replies! Ask a question and disappear for a week- sorry 'bout that!

I remember something about keeping things in place with the molars, and I think it very likely it is an expander too, as my teeth are "pushed in" on that side.

I have an appointment Monday am, so I will report back with answers to the quiz on that day... :lol:

danz23

#5 Post by danz23 »

If it is a lingual arch I'm curious to know how youre finding it to wear cause I'm probably getting one. Seems like some people find them ok, and some dont same as other appliances but I'm still interested. Specially if you had problems with speech?

Danielle

#6 Post by Danielle »

Hey, I have one of those too! I have no idea what it's actually called and when I first heard I was getting one I searched these forums up and down as well as Googleing (is that even a word?) lower appliances. My Ortho and her staff always call it an "appliance." I've had it for a month now and other than food getting caught in it and making flossing a little more time consuming I have no complaints!
Specially if you had problems with speech?
I got mine on a Friday afternoon and with a little practice of talking out loud I was mostly fine by Monday morning.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present