food and RPE?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sirithaeariel

food and RPE?

#1 Post by sirithaeariel »

My RPE was installed yesterday and I've realized that food gets stuck up between the RPE and the roof of my mouth quiet easily. I'm expecting this is natural but is there anyway to avoid it? It really bothers me anytime I eat anything.

science teacher

RPE

#2 Post by science teacher »

Man I get that!!! I had a RPE for 6 months and now have a TPA,

My tips.
Use a fork. If you can put the food in straight to your molars you will push less up there than biting in to food. example- eat pizza with a fork.

Drink water with a straw while eating. the pressure of sucking water through the straw tends to dislodge food stuck.

Avoid long foods. Spaghetti, shredded lettuce, etc.

Otherwise you just deal. My tongue got pretty good at getting food out of the expander. If I couldn't get it out I could use the superfloss and get it out.

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

Filip

#3 Post by Filip »

I highly recommend gettinga WATERPIK, which is like a small high-pressure water gun. It is highly effective.

I LOVE IT !!!

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

Graceful58

#4 Post by Graceful58 »

I second the water pik...I would go nuts without it! There is NO way to avoid getting food stuck, just something you must deal with. I've had my expander now for 8 wks and if I didn't have the water pik I would have the worst smelling breath in town. Get one!! :)

Best of luck,
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

maia1orual

#5 Post by maia1orual »

hey sirith, i don't know if you can avoid getting food stuck completely, but what science teacher said is pretty good about putting food as far back as you can. i also found that drinking between each bite . . .drinking LOTS between each bite is helpful for dislodging food. and kinda swishing the water around. (water is the best drink for this) but, thankfully it gets better! i've had my RPE for 6 months now and for the last month or so nothing has gotten stuck in it but rice and nuts. =)

another helpful tool besides a waterpik are something called "brushpicks."
they have one end that looks like a flattened christmas tree and fits under the RPE perfectly to get anything out from under it. i like them alot!!
i think GUM or Doctor's brand both make them, and you can buy them at any drugstore or Wal-Mart. hope it all gets better!

Amburly

#6 Post by Amburly »

I had my RPE for 6 months and I think that was the worst part of braces. All the advice that people are giving is great. Another tip would be to not put big bites of food in your mouth. Your mouth is already full with braces and the expander so not much room for large pieces of food.

Things do get better and before you know it your RPE will be removed.

sirithaeariel

#7 Post by sirithaeariel »

yeah, I've had friends near me that have gone through braces or are currently doing so and they all said (Even the ones with out a RPE) to piece foods, no more biting down into stuff...well not often. I think I have figured out how to do it now ^_^ I bought some plastic toothpick things and that helps getting stuff out as well. Thanks to everyone that helped ^_^