Cuts from the wire...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatK

Cuts from the wire...

#1 Post by KatK »

Hi All!

It's been a while! I hope everyone's treatment is going well! (Mereytan, get your braces off yet??)

I've had my braces for about a month now and I'm still having trouble with my wire. I had them clip it again in the back, but I'm still bleeding when I eat, and when I touch my last top brakets my fingers are pricked by something very sharp!! I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm frustrated because I can't eat anything hard because my mouth bleeds. AND i'm using SO MUCH wax/peroxyl. AHHH!! Doesn't anyone else have issues with the sharp wire? Everyone I talk to here looks at me like I'm nuts!
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

I agree with above, its best to have the wire bent slightly at the ends and thus helping you to avoid irritation. My wires are rather pokey at the moment too but im just living with it, not something you should be doing might i add.
Try some warm salt water rinses to help toughen up your mouth and give your ortho a call and see if there's anything they can do. It will get better :)

mindykatz

#3 Post by mindykatz »

I had a poking archwire only a few days after getting my damons on. My ortho said that the wires shift a little more with the Damons than with regular brackets, so having poking wires is normal. Give your ortho a call - even though he clipped the wire before, he can probably grind it down even more and smooth it out a little.

Laurie

#4 Post by Laurie »

I've been having a bit of a battle with a pokey wire on one side. I was naughty and bent it inwards myself. It's not poking me anymore but I'm not sure how intelligent it was of me to do it myself. Although being among the long-drive-to-the-orthodontist club I might of been a little extra motivated to do it myself.

KatK

#5 Post by KatK »

Yay for getting your braces off Meryaten!! :-)

Thanks to everyone for their comments... i didn't know that about self-litigating braces and my brothers and sisters look at me funny when i tell them about the wire poking. (They all the braces when they were younger.)

I think filing would work for me... it's just so darn sharp! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow - will keep you posted!
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

Jesus Freak

New to braces

#6 Post by Jesus Freak »

Hello All,
This is my first day for two new things. I just got braces (uppers only for now) yesterday afternoon and this is my first try at a message board. I have a quick question. How is the best way to get the wax off of your braces? My back molars on both sides are tearing me up and getting the wax off has been, well..., interesting. Any pointers for a newbie? :o) Thanks,
Lana

Jesus Freak

Thanks

#7 Post by Jesus Freak »

Thanks for all the info. Sorry you had to reply twice. I've never used a message board and don't really have a clue what I'm supposed to do. Thanks again!
Lana