Singing with Braces/tongue thrusting

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dellyfish

Singing with Braces/tongue thrusting

#1 Post by Dellyfish »

I know this has been discussed before. I did a search, but I'm still looking for some different info.

I'm a singer. I am currently planning on auditioning for a second bachelor's degree in Vocal Performance. The auditions wouldn't be until January, but I also will hopefully have an aria to sing in the Messiah here at my university this December.

I'm supposed to be getting braces on soon - I had to go through a LOT of fillings before I could set the date for my 3-4 extractions. I am terrified to make this appointment, because I'm afraid my diction will suffer. I know it depends on what exactly you're having done - I have crowding on the bottom and the top - but I am also a tongue thruster. My ortho said that braces can change how I move my tongue.

Does anyone have experience with this? I can't afford to be missing lessons every other week because I can't enunciate properly. Will the fact that I'm a tongue thruster make this problem worse? According to my professor, I say my "S" differently than most, and I'm sure it's because of my tongue thrusting. Am I going to have to re-learn how to make certain sounds? Do I have to re-learn again when they're off?

adrienne

#2 Post by adrienne »

Wow! I'm a singer too!
I'm also wondering the same thing but right now I have to worry about an expander I'm getting soon.
I don't think braces will affect your singing technique .. maybe singing more will get you used to it and maybe the tongue thrusting :D

I'm 15 and I got a vocal scholarship (classical + musical theatre) here in Hong Kong and I don't start until September so hopefully summer will get me used to my appliances as in the expander lol :)
I guess it just depends on how quickly you can used to it!!

I'm also working towards my diploma (after grade 8 ) in singing and my italian and latin and especially german might get screwed up, but hopefully the singing lessons i have will get me used to it even quicker cause the more practice you do, the better!!! 8)

good luck with the braces and the audition!
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

Dr Jon Harrow

#3 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

:lol: Hi Dellyfish
I'm also a singer amonst other things..a vocalist with a band, a counter tenor with a number of choirs, and i do session vocals also. Anyway, you may, or maynot notice a difference in your diction with the braces on at first, I know i did, but after a week or so, I did not notice they were there, I find I sound different when I talk..(i also have a fixed biteplate as well as upper and lower fixed appliances), more so than when i sing...cannot explain why...and i do use a lot of head voice as a counter tenor/alto.
You may want to think about how the over crowded teeth may cause further issues when you get older...as my ortho said that whilst teeth will always move...hence retainers..they mostly have a tendancy to more forward...and i know that my bottom arch was so over crowded that i caught my tongue on the teeth, as well as hitting my upper and lower arches together, when i sang certain things (due to an overbite).So having the treatment may solve a lot of other problems later in life.
Also ask the question, do I want to have nice arches for when I'm performing in the future...I did not think people noticed my mouth, but its since I have had braces that people have asked me questions about them after performances...because they have noticed them...these are positive comments by the way. :)
Hope this is of some help, ask your singing coach/teacher also they should know, i was advised that it was a good idea.
Jon XXX

Laurie

#4 Post by Laurie »

I'm by no means a professional singer. The singing I do is either in the car or in church. But I do enjoy it. However I've noticed that things really haven't changed all that much and I've gotten over the majority of speaking/singing problems (lisp). But all I have right now is my top braces. I however have no arch expander or bite plate or the such to contend with.

PfectPitch

#5 Post by PfectPitch »

I sing, too, but haven't noticed any changes. I don't think you'll have a problem. One piece of advice would be to make sure you are very well-hydrated, as having a dry mouth with braces makes it a lot harder to speak/sing correctly. If you're auditioning and are nervous, which can dry your mouth out, make sure to take a few sips of water right before you go out so your cheeks don't stick to the brackets! Good luck!

Vittoria

#6 Post by Vittoria »

I'm a singer as well (mainly opera, but also some musical theatre and certain kinds of folk music, jazz and gothic rock). Well, it won't be the same the first time, because you've suddenly got all these thingies in your mouth. I can't say whether it'll "get better" or not, since I've only had braces for about a week, but I have noticed that my resonance is already getting better, oddly enough. Diction has proved to be a problem for me, but I think it should be possible to adapt to it. Look at it as an exercise in articulation - if you manage now, you can be certain you will when the braces come off! :)

Catmom

#7 Post by Catmom »

I'm a singer as well and my first rehearsal post-braces was very interesting. That was in January and it didn't last too long. As a matter of fact, I find that my diction is much better because I have to make a conscious effort to make sure that I'm singing/speaking clearly. I only seem to have problems just after adjustments when everything is really tender - it's difficult to manipulate vowels when all your teeth and cheeks are aching!

Good point about hydration - I always make sure that I have a bottle of water handy, even during church services. Singing, braces and dry mouth are a horrible combination and usually results in ripped cheeks and gums.