What do you dislike the most about your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

acehigh

What do you dislike the most about your braces?

#1 Post by acehigh »

You know, now that I'm used to wearing braces it's really not such a big deal any more at all. The initial shock and panic have subsided......lol :shock: I don't mind smiling, don't mind my elastics showing at the sides, and don't mind people kind of glancing at my teeth as I speak.....lol. But there is one thing that drives my crazy. I wear the InOvation C braces and find that after a nice big smile my top lip gets all caught up on the top brackets!!! Ohhhhh this irks me. For work I actually go through the trouble of waxing every top bracket so the top lip can slide nicely over them after I've finished smiling. I have to say this is my worst dislike. As for anyone asking me about them or looking??? It does not bother me at all. I can't even believe I'm saying this, considering within the first hour I had them put on I went back to the ortho's office to have them taken off!! They're still on. 8)

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

There seem to be periods of time when things are really moving around and it feels like my brains are being squeezed out of my head. Seriously, I hate those periodic really tight moments/days where you teeth just feel like they are being squeezed or pushed around! I find I have a low grade headache.

TLB in Minneapolis

#3 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

It's gotta be the food that get stuck in them. It sounds wierd but I don't mind wearing braces because I know they are temporary. I'm excited to get them off and see what my new smile looks like. It gives me something to look forward to.

As far as the brackets, I wear 3M Clarity and they used to feel like a shelf for my upper lip but it doesn't bother me much anymore.

Are In-ovation C brackets higher profile than 3M Clarity? Just curious. I've heard a lot of people mention that the In-ovation brackets were bigger...
Thanks.

AngelOfLife

#4 Post by AngelOfLife »

The food getting trapped! :x

Samantha19

#5 Post by Samantha19 »

I have to agree with everyone who said getting food stuck in them.

Luckily I have learned how to chew gum with them in and I don't have any problems.
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

First off I'm only seven months into a 24-36 treatment cycle. Maybe they're still new enough that I don't dislike them. I'm excited about the good things happening. I have less intense headaches although right now they are more frequent, I'm not grinding as bad and my teeth show. So far win-win.

If I don't like anything it would be the time to floss and brush. I jokingly call brushing my new hobby. I also wish my appointments were closer together.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Samantha19

#7 Post by Samantha19 »

iBorg wrote:First off I'm only seven months into a 24-36 treatment cycle. Maybe they're still new enough that I don't dislike them. I'm excited about the good things happening. I have less intense headaches although right now they are more frequent

Mike
I guess I was lucky. The headaches I had were not intense but they were no fun to say the least.

Expecially when you are in college and trying to study for a test
Samantha

Pepper

#8 Post by Pepper »

I don't really dislike anything in particular... They're just kind of annoying.

Dark_angel

#9 Post by Dark_angel »

Definatley having to remove the food from them after eating almost anything. Also my clear powerchain (my ortho dosent have coloured chains) is now a lovely yellow/green colour :yuck:

Im counting the days untill i get rid of them :D

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

The amount of money they've cost me!

Tin Indian

#11 Post by Tin Indian »

I would say for me the most annoying thing is the feeling of something caught in my brackets even though when I look it's not there. It's a wierd feeling that never goes away.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Miss Smiley

#12 Post by Miss Smiley »

having to floss around those darn archwires! Not being able to bite into a HUGE HOAGIE SAMMICH, or bite into a loaf of warm crusty bread!!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Whitters

#13 Post by Whitters »

My inner cheeks/lip gets caught in the bracket when I sleep :( --I ALWAYS have to remember to wax before I go to take a nap.
I've had my braces for about a month and a half... I guess I need some more time for the inside of my mouth to get tougher........

*Denise*

#14 Post by *Denise* »

I don't like the wire that pokes my inner cheeks. Apart from that I am fine. :)

Samantha19

#15 Post by Samantha19 »

Miss Smiley wrote:having to floss around those darn archwires!
I agree, flossing is not fun
Samantha