What do you dislike the most about your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wwdia

#16 Post by wwdia »

The fact that I have to go around with only a couple bracets on the top right side ( for the time being)
But hey, at least I can chew easily with the left side
Oh and everything feeling like it's caught in the nance
[/url]

Samantha19

#17 Post by Samantha19 »

wwdia wrote:The fact that I have to go around with only a couple bracets on the top right side ( for the time being)
But hey, at least I can chew easily with the left side
Oh and everything feeling like it's caught in the nance
Yeah, they aren't really that bad and after 6 months I am used to them.

I am actually able to chew bubblegum (real bubblegum), blowing bubbles and all with them on and I don't have any problems.

Still there is food I cannot eat which is a bummer, but I know the braces will come off soon enough
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

Pepper

#18 Post by Pepper »

Tin Indian wrote:I would say for me the most annoying thing is the feeling of something caught in my brackets even though when I look it's not there. It's a wierd feeling that never goes away.
I AGREE!

Dovechild20

#19 Post by Dovechild20 »

It definitely has to be the trapped food and the wires stabbing me in my cheeks, lol.

Meloho

#20 Post by Meloho »

The worst to me is the pain ALL over after an adjustment. My first "adjustment" wasn't really one yet, but I was told to wear my elastics differently and gosh it hurts. Makes me think of when I first started wearing them. I imagine all future adjustments will be similar for the first couple days as pressure is intensified to different areas. The pain is really bad...it radiates from the teeth to the jaw into my head and neck...not good.

Close to that is the lengthy cleaning process, although once I have NOTHING in my mouth eventually, my teeth will never have plaque again.

The food thing doesn't bother me much, cuz I really don't miss anything...not yet anyway.

CanehdianGal

#21 Post by CanehdianGal »

ok here I go...The worst is having 2 elastics dead center in front! They went on April 9 and will continue atleast end of August. I have to more in the back but atleast u can't really see them like the fronts.
I cannot wait until I can just wear the braces alone...I will never complain again!

The food is tough as well getting stuck. I'm not sure if it's the damon 3 that are more prone to food wedge because they stick out more but I don't enjoy going out to eat anymore.

Flossing is much easier! since I found an amazing floss by Crest Glide. Something about the stiffness that makes flossing a breeze with braces.

dojo

#22 Post by dojo »

The way they look, the way my lips get caught when I smile, the fact my teeth are sensitive and hurt some time. But I am willing to go till the end with this all :D
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

PfectPitch

#23 Post by PfectPitch »

For me it's food getting stuck, inside of cheek getting caught on hook, and the discomfort that is still there constantly, although it migrates around my mouth just for variety. (I'm four months into a 27-month process, BTW.)

Yesterday I met a woman my age who got her braces off 3 years ago for the very same problem with bite that I have. Her smile was great! She encouraged me, saying the discomfort is not so bad after awhile. I wish "after awhile" would get here pretty soon.

joney

#24 Post by joney »

Mostly I don't really mind my braces but if I'm honest I have to say the worst thing for me is vanity. I know I'll look so much better when they come off. Although already my teeth in braces look much much better than they did when I started. (This doesn't mean that I am constantly self conscious, I'm not.)
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

gunter8888

#25 Post by gunter8888 »

+1 on the food and
+1 on flossing

The cost isn't fun, but I still think its worth it.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

fitchick

#26 Post by fitchick »

Yes, definitely food that gets trapped! And not being able to clean in certain places where the brackets and TPA meet. Apart from that, nothing.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kirjax

#27 Post by kirjax »

The thing I hate the most as everyone says is the constant food caught up in them.

The other day I was eating pasta and didn't cut it fully. Well bc I have inside elastics which get in the way and also makes it so my bite is off, I actually choked on pasta! lol

I have to say so far braces for me aren't horrible. But I am only in the beginning stages. So it could be a long road.

I also hate that the cleats tend to dig into my tongue sometimes and cause sores.

And I just hate that I don't really look all that wonderful in them but that's really the least of my worries.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

kirjax

#28 Post by kirjax »

The thing I hate the most as everyone says is the constant food caught up in them.

The other day I was eating pasta and didn't cut it fully. Well bc I have inside elastics which get in the way and also makes it so my bite is off, I actually choked on it! lol

I have to say so far braces for me aren't horrible. But I am only in the beginning stages. So it could be a long road.

I also hate that the cleats tend to dig into my tongue sometimes and cause sores esp. at night when I'm sleeping and my tongue is rested on them.

And I just hate that I don't really look all that wonderful in them but that's really the least of my worries.

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

kirjax

#29 Post by kirjax »

kirjax wrote:The thing I hate the most as everyone says is the constant food caught up in them.

The other day I was eating pasta and didn't cut it fully. Well bc I have inside elastics which get in the way and also makes it so my bite is off, I actually choked on it! lol

I also hate that the cleats tend to dig into my tongue sometimes and cause sores esp. at night when my tongue is rested on them.

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009

kirjax

#30 Post by kirjax »

double post sorry.

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009