Dirty brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Phil098342wq

Dirty brackets

#1 Post by Phil098342wq »

Well I went to the dentist. Even though I have not been flossing and all the other things besides brushing as good as I could, that was not the problem. I had some plaque build up around the brackets. Everything else looked good; of course I had been to my last cleaning on April 4th. I thought just brushing was good enough, in reference to the front of the teeth, guess not. Listen to me; spend some extra time making sure the bracket areas are really clean. There’s this thing called decalcification, which is really, really bad! My current dentist and staff really support me. I go back in a month to see if what they suggested is working. This means whether or not I am doing what they recommended. The return visit was my idea. I approached them saying I had not been doing as good of a job as I could and wanted their feed back. And they were very supportive. There was one other older gentleman there who was also a brace face!

They know I have dental fear issues, and for good reasons. Today got me down a little, I thought I had been doing ok. I know they weren’t scolding me like a child, but that’s how I feel. Its not anything they did, just me. I had really bad dentists growing up and I just can’t get what they said and did out of my head yet. Although today was a step forward. The staff was very kind towards me and kept reassuring me. Despite the pain, and emotions, I am happy I am here. Please excuse as I go to power wash my brackets! :-#)
[/url]

MsViola

#2 Post by MsViola »

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear you are so down. Are you sure plaque and decalcification are related? I get my teeth cleaned every 4 months, because I am a "plaque builder" and have been even before braces. I also use a sonicare toothbrush and waterpik which helps. However, I still tend to have some plaque. The cleanings always take care of it. To date I have had no problems with decalcification.

Schedule some extra cleanings and you will probably be A-ok!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Laurie

#3 Post by Laurie »

Decalcification scares the poo out of me. My ortho's office warned me about it and after seeing photos I'm terrified of it.

One of the office techs recommended using a proxy brush around the brackets to ensure that I get them nice and clean.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Plaque can eventually lead to decalcification if it's not cleaned away effectively. DJ, sorry you found out that your cleaning regime wasn't being entirely successful, but at least it's been pointed out early. Like Laurie says, proxy brushes are a good aid in scrubbing round the brackets.

At night, I floss my teeth and then I dip the proxy brush in peroxide and scrub round each side of each bracket and under the archwire. Then I do my normal brushing.

Hope you can get yourself into a good cleaning routine and that your next dental visit will earn you a gold star!

MsViola

#5 Post by MsViola »

I should have been clearer. What I should have asked is are you saying that your teeth were decalcifying just because you had plaque around your brackets.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Phil098342wq

#6 Post by Phil098342wq »

I have no damage yet. I have had a strict schedule of a cleaning every three months, my doing. Like my dentist, braced 6 weeks ago. I am glad to find this out this early in the stage, yeah on one hand its a bummer and saddens me, but oh well. I am also trying to be upbeat about it. At least I have a good dentist.

Phil098342wq

#7 Post by Phil098342wq »

They commented on the proxy brush and i have been using it, just not right i guess, I like Lisa's comment about the peroxide. It might help with everything, I am already using so much mouth wash and hate the ones that have it in them.
Thanks everybody!
[/url]

skintz

#8 Post by skintz »

what does hydrogen peroxide do to plaque? what strength is it and where do you get it?

thanks guys (decalcification scares the life out of me) :shock:

Phil098342wq

#9 Post by Phil098342wq »

I just assumed regular hydrogen peroxide, to help keep everything clean.
[/url]

Kat

#10 Post by Kat »

what did you dentidt tell you to do in you everyday cleaning?