How much do braces suck?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ready2go43

#16 Post by Ready2go43 »

Hi Imaking,you really do not sound as if you would be committed to braces,if us with braces had that attitutude that they suck,we would not be trying to sort our teeth out,a lot of members on this site,like myself are doing it for medical reasons,not vanity,plus a lot of us never had the option when we were your age,im 44 and wish I had the option when I was your age,maybe I wouldnt be it the situation im in now.I wouldnt say its a barrel of laughs but you get used to them,it may be 2 years inconvenience out of your life,but what is 2 years when your teeth should last you a lifetime.I mean no dis-respect but you are at the age where what you look like takes priority,I live next door to an 18 year old so I no what im on about,if your concern is what other people will say,it is them with the problem,good luck with your decision,do it,you wont regret it,I have had braces 10 weeks and already notice a difference,sod other people their your teeth,good luck :thumbsup:
Braced 19/04/07
Damon 3s
Upper & Lower

Lisa65

#17 Post by Lisa65 »

I have to dispute what you say about people with a braces fetish being "sickos". While I do not have a braces fetish personally (in case you were wondering), most of us have our little quirks, whether it's a preference for certain items of clothing, stockings, high heels, long hair, buxom ladies etc which are probably not considered "sick" by most, or slightly less mainstream preferences such as sado-masochism. If the fetish is between consenting adults, or a private preference, and harms nobody else then I don't consider it sick.

Somebody else's braces fetish only becomes a problem when (as has happened on this site) people who have braces for genuine reasons end up being targetted by fetishists because they are wanting to contact brace wearers. That's why it's recommended that you don't post personal info such as your e-mail addy or real name, or pictures that you would not want to be used elsewhere.

Lisa65

#18 Post by Lisa65 »

I guess your definition of sick isn't the same as mine. I was contacted by a braces fetishist on that German site I mentioned. I didn't realise it was a fetish site when I joined. I just told him that I wasn't into all that, but I wasn't offended. We'll just have to agree to differ. But then I'm one of those funny crazy Europeans that Imaking mentioned and we get upto all sorts over here :lol:

bbsadmin

#19 Post by bbsadmin »

Dear IMaking,

It has come to my attention that your IP address is exactly the same as a member named Soundcannon.

Looking at Soundcannon's posts from a couple of months ago, you two do sound the same. So tell me, did you have your oral surgery?

I also want you to know that posting under more than one identity is a violation of the Board's rules unless you had a good reason to do so.

-Lynn the site Admin
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Imaking

#20 Post by Imaking »

Oh well did not know this to be a prob. I lost all my other information do to a new computer and got rid of my other e-mail. You can close the other one just needed some info to help my decision which will be to get braces. It doesnt seem that bad and I kinda need to do it anyway.
thanks

bbsadmin

#21 Post by bbsadmin »

No problem. Just checking to make sure everything was "kosher." If you have a valid reason for registering with a new identity, that's OK. In the past we have had people cause trouble by trying to fool everyone with multiple identities -- that's why I'm so concerned about it.

You ask if braces suck. Well to an extent they do. But you get used to them and in the end, you wind up with much better teeth. At age 18, you will be able to enjoy your new smile your entire adulthood. It's a good decision. I'm sure you won't regret it when you begin to see positive results.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Imaking

#22 Post by Imaking »

i was actually gonna do the oral surgey back a while ago but didnt cause my teeth are not all in the right places. SO I am getting braces I have decided to do it but was wondering how much they suck and apparently it is only a matter of how much you make them suck lol So i will see what happens soon enough. I have to go ahead and take care of it so when I go to college I will not have to worry about adjusting to them.

Jennine

#23 Post by Jennine »

They suck yes, but not that badly, sometimes they hurt, but you get used to them.

I had a chance to get them done many years ago as lisa did, and if i had have done that when i was young I would have had a great smile and a nice jaw in my teens and young adulthood, but instead i had fangs and overbite/crossbite and crooked teeth.... my advice... do it now, suffer now... reap the rewards later. the best years of your live will be in your 20's.. thats when you want to look good. Dont wait, just do it now, and get it over with.

Short term pain = long term gain

* plus if you hate your teeth now, you are going to hate them more later, and then you wont have anyone to pay for them... get it done now especially if someone else is picking up the tab.

str8teeth

#24 Post by str8teeth »

I guess it just depends on who you ask. I'm 30 and just got braces on my top teeth last week. I went with the InOvation C brackets. I wish that I'd had braces as a kid, but didn't because my parents couldn't afford them, and really dreaded getting them now. I finally made the decision to do so when I realized just how bad my bite was and I didn't want my teeth to wear down unevenly, which they were doing. Once I had my appointment all scheduled, I nearly chickened out! However, it wasn't bad at all, wasn't even a big deal, and I'm totally relieved and happy that I made this decision. It was weird at first having my teeth feel rough and big and getting used to feeling and seeing them. Within two days I was eating everything again and not the least bit sore. Now, a week to the day later, I'd say I'm almost totally used to them. They don't really bother me at all and I'm still really happy with them. I'm really looking forward to the day that my teeth are all nice and straight and I've no doubt that I'll never regret my decision to get braces.

bracieb

#25 Post by bracieb »

Whether they suck or not isn't he issue- as has been said, not many people love to wear their braces. Most are used to it and it isn't a big deal.

BUT... as has also been said- it is soooo worth it to have great teeth, for both looks and health. You have to look at the end result and focus on that. Do you want to improve your teeth? If the answer is yes, then ask "How badly do I want straight healthy teeth?" and if the answer is "enough to wear braces and put up with the negatives associated with it", then go ahead and do it.

You are right to ask lots of questions and learn as much as you can about the whole thing- you must go into it with your eyes open and be prepared for all you will experience, both good and not so good.

How do you feel about people around you who are wearing braces? That is probably how others will feel about you.

If you just can't cope with the idea of wearing braces and doing all the extra things you must do to keep your teeth clean etc, then don't do it. You will hate it.

It's one of those things where the wearer MUST be 100% on board with the treatment or it just won't be easy for anyone.

Good luck with your decision. If you choose braces, you won't be disappointed, I'm sure.

SnowSara

#26 Post by SnowSara »

I don't think having braces is a big deal AT ALL. I like 'em just fine. Since I know I'll only have them for a limited amount of time I try to have fun with lig colors and smile with confidence. It was a choice I made to better myself and I never once have regretted my decision, in fact, it's a heck of a lot easier than I thought it would be before I got them on. Enjoy them, they'll be off before we know it!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

idolfan4

#27 Post by idolfan4 »

I hated my braces. They were complete tourture and carnate on my teeth. To make matters worse, I got teased in school for them and I looked so ugly with them on. :evil: :x

Braces Came On: August 2nd, 2005 :cry:
Braces Came OFF: April 19th, 2007 :-)o

sugarplum59

#28 Post by sugarplum59 »

In the beginning braces are a little hard to get used to. I've been lucky in that I haven't had too much pain. When my teeth are shifting there is some tenderness but never anything so uncomfortable that I'm miserable.

As far as looking stupid...let me say this. I was told when I was in my early 20's that I should have braces...went through the "I'll look stupid" thing...I was too self conscious to take the leap. Of course back then I don't think they had clear braces or I might have gone for it!

After years of wishing my teeth looked better I finally got braces at 47 years old...and have had them on for 1-1/2 years. Since teeth were extracted later in treatment I'll have to keep them on maybe 4 months longer than anticpated but and should have them off right around my 49th birthday.

Even though I still have a way to go, my bite feels SO much better, and quite honestly, I'm kicking myself for not doing this much earlier in life! So, speaking from experience...don't let looks stand in your way. Frankly...if anyone says anything it's never more than "Oh, you have braces" or "when do you get them off?"

In passing I would mention that to get the best results I too should have had jaw surgery but opted just for braces knowing things won't be perfect but considerably better!