An imposter in our midst

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

An imposter in our midst

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

I wanted to tell everyone about something that has been going on.

A supposed teenager keeps posting to this site under various identities. A few months ago, this person posted under the identity Bailey and wrote a fake story about headgear being wired in permanently to her face. The person posted under another identity, calling herself Caitlin Sprabery (or Spraberry), and posted what looked like a perfectly legitimate braces story.

I banned both people, becase probably they are the same person. "Bailey" emailed me, saying that her sister really is in braces and could I please unban her? Sorry, no way. Not after posting a fake story that incited people to anger.

But that isn't enough. This person keeps coming back, posting new messages on the board, saying that she is 15 or 16 or 17 and trying to initiate a thread about "her treatment".

Well sorry, I don't buy any of it.

The other identities that this person has posted under include:

Tay
Ashton Helm
Ashley25
Caitlinsprabery11
Bailey or Bayley Bennett
Caitlin Young (in email address)
Caitlin Strawberry (in email address)
DoctorJames (in email address)

Often these are names of people who play on a certain high school basketball team in Oklahoma.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

I am assuming that this is not a real teenager in treatment, but a person with a braces fetish.

Future idenitites will also be banned if this person continues to post. This person has lost their privileges on this message board.
Last edited by bbsadmin on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Laurie

#2 Post by Laurie »

Thanks for the heads up!

joney

#3 Post by joney »

Good that you're so vigilent Lynn.

I do sometimes wonder when people come on here and seem to post inflamatory posts.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Samantha19

#4 Post by Samantha19 »

Laurie wrote:Thanks for the heads up!
it's sad that someone would do this
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

That person needs to be put in permanent headgear and wired to the lock of a lighthouse.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Tin Indian

#6 Post by Tin Indian »

Thanks for the vigilance Lynn. Sometimes the smoke that these kinds of people use is hard to see thru but to your credit you have. It takes a small minded person to create havoc in a website that is supposed to be used for honest questions and opinions. THANK-YOU!
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

From now on, if a teenager posts to the board and seems to have a ridiculous story, you should be suspicious. Please report it to me, because I don't always have time to catch this stuff when it first happens.

Sheesh!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

acehigh

#8 Post by acehigh »

I'm glad you caught this person and figured it out. I don't understand.....what can you possibly get out of it if you come on and post your own braces story? What are they looking for.......replies? Some people have way too much time on their hands.

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

Here is a typical story posted by this person. If you see future posts that have this information, please let me know:

My treatment started last year at 15 with a 5mm underbite and a 7mm openbite and both my arches were to small.My treatment time was 5-6 years.I started out with top and bottom expanders and after a year of wearing them i got them off.I had a gap inbetween my front teeth for a couple months.

Now the last 3 months ive been wearing a box elastic on my front 4 with an x across it and two triangle elastics next to that on each side.3 months of wearing them and there has been no movement what so ever.Im expected to have upper and lower jaw surgery in 2-3 years.

My sister and me have the same teeth issues.My sister is 22 and recently had upper and lower jaw surgery.She has had braces for 5 years and gets them off next year and will have to wear retainers for life

acehigh

#10 Post by acehigh »

Ok, now I see what you mean. Sounds to me like there are some young people out there making more of a joke out of it just to see what kind of responses they can get. They should find themselves a better hobby. 8)

newmetal

#11 Post by newmetal »

Haha this person does sound truly pathetic. He/She does'nt deserve a post of thier own, but deserves our sympathy for being such a dull, boring and sad person to have to get their inner demons out in a forum, through making up false brace 'tales'. Id go as far to say, someone who has tried so many times, under so many different names with such ludicrous, elaborate stories is actually a pervert.

Newmetal

Samantha19

#12 Post by Samantha19 »

acehigh wrote:I'm glad you caught this person and figured it out. I don't understand.....what can you possibly get out of it if you come on and post your own braces story? What are they looking for.......replies? Some people have way too much time on their hands.
I am guessing that it is someone who craves attention and cannot get it otherwise.
Samantha

Tooth-Colored Brackets and a white wire for 8 months.

Braces are off! Retainer coming soon

chillin-in-grilz

#13 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

5-6 years hahaha my foot!
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

SDFD TSchott

#14 Post by SDFD TSchott »

wow, a battle to stop the brace fetish type... why don't you do an ip address ban that usually works for the same person!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

MsViola

#15 Post by MsViola »

Thanks for the warning.

It was exciting to talk to you last week (black folding mirror vs purple folding mirror, & brace comfort covers). It dawned on me as I was hanging up who "Lynn" is :shock:

Take Care!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months