eating w/molar buildups. Help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jorx

eating w/molar buildups. Help!

#1 Post by jorx »

Hi,

Last week I went for an 'emergency' appointment due to a bracket that had popped off bc my top teeth used to touch my lower brackets :(

My ortho put me some red bonding on my molars -I have now discovered they are usual and called 'buildups'- to avoid my teeth hitting my lowers and also to help in opening my severe deep bite (my uppers used to completely cover my lowers).

Now I am having real troubles with these buildups: eating is really difficult bc my teeth do not touch! I have so far limited myself to soft food but I am really tired!

Is there any tip to eat with those things inside? Will I be able to eat normally again?

I forgot asking my ortho how much time I am supposed to have those things in my teeth... how long did you had them? all the treatment?!? (I really hope it won't be the case for me!!)

Ready2go43

#2 Post by Ready2go43 »

Honestly you will get used to it,it took me about a week,it was really awkward trying to bite into things although I dont really bite into things anyway found it easier to cut or break food into small pieces,mine wore away naturally after 8 weeks,I know it is frustrating but stick at it it does gat easier,good luck :wink:
Braced 19/04/07
Damon 3s
Upper & Lower

swede

#3 Post by swede »

I actually just had mine taken off today, 5 months into my treatment. My top brackets were hitting my bottoms so they had to put them on day one. I do think that they wore down a little as time went on, but I do remember the challenge to eat with them in the beginning. It truly does not take long to get used to them. I thought "yeah right, I'll lose 20 lbs", but I was wrong. The only thing I had trouble with for a while was lettuce. It was too flat to make any contact. I looked like a cow trying to moved slowly the lettuce around for any kind of contact :) .

dubnobass

#4 Post by dubnobass »

I had molar build-ups for 18 months, and in all honesty it was the worst and most inconvenient part of my treatment. For the first month or two they really made my jaw ache, because it was forcing my jaws apart by 1cm or so, into a position they woudn't normally have been in. My teeth were too tender to chew much anyway at first, so I ate mush for 3 months. Eventually I managed a sandwich, and after that just tried to eat normal foods as usual. It does make eating very messy, as it's very easy to have food just drop out of your mouth when you chew it. But to answer your question, yes, you will eat normally again.

The only thing I just *could not eat* was leafy salad type stuff - lettuce, spinach, anything like that would just flap around in my mouth, not being chewed.

I managed to chip the edges off mine over those 18 months, and they ground down by a few mm too. My orthodontist ground the rest off a couple of months ago, and I was so happy I could have kissed him!

jorx

#5 Post by jorx »

Thank you very much! I hope you are right, I'm getting tired of this diet! Tonight I am supposed to goout for dinner, so I should try to eat something more normal! I'm so nervous!