why is expansion necessary?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raysun

why is expansion necessary?

#1 Post by raysun »

So, I'm trying to get some clarification as to why expansion is necessary in my case. I have a narrow arch and an open bite. I also have a posterier crossbite, I think. My open bite was caused by tongue thrusting at a time when I had severe TMJ. I would thrust my tongue forward to relieve the pressure on my joints. I did not have an open bite before my TMJ and do not think I thrusted my tongue before either. I remember at the time that I began to have problems with my TMJ, I also started to have trouble with my speech. I developed a bit of a lisp. I've always been extremely aware of what my tongue and mouth are doing because I'm an actor.

So fast forward a couple of years. After a year and half of agony I found a neuromuscular dentist who made me an orthotic and thus ended my TMJ woes. I also worked with a orofacial myologist to correct my tongue thrusting and mouth breathing. This work was very thorough and I know that do not thrust or mouth breath any longer. And I have no issues with breathing through my nose. Oh and also, I have no crowding. Except for the open bite my teeth are essentially completely straight.

So my question is...if I do not have a problem with mouth breathing, tongue-thrusting or crowding, WHY do I need to expander. And what is really going to do for me? These are questions I need to ask my dentist I realize, but I thought I throw out to the forum and see what came back.

Thank you!!
Rachel :D

adrienne

#2 Post by adrienne »

I have a posterior cross-bite as well, and I guess an expander is the only way to correct it! (I'm getting an expander as well) And seeing that you said that you have a narrow arch, I guess that's the reason why you need an expander because what it does is that it expands your arch and will uncross your posterior cross-bite and give you a wider smile 8)
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!