Share your experience with expanders... An update!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peach

#31 Post by peach »

Thanks for the reply Cbushnaq :) We were able to finally get it. My husband ended up using the end of a sewing needle to move the hole forward a little so that he could turn it with the key.

irena

#32 Post by irena »

Hardest thing to adjust to so far: Not freaking out and wanting to clean out the expander after every single bite of food. Seriously, it's driving me nuts. But I take a deep breath, and just take my next bite, with promises to clean out the expander after I'm done eating. *deep breath*

:)

peach

#33 Post by peach »

Everyone's expander treatment is very different. Some have braces on first, then their expanders are put in and others have the expanders first. I've also noticed that many people have a different # of times they are expected to turn their keys in a week. Just curious... how many times do you have to turn your key (if you have this type of expander) and did you have your expander placed before or after braces? I had my braces put on first and then my upper expander about 2 weeks later (my lower expander will be placed this Tuesday :D ). I have to turn my key two times a week.

cbushnaq

#34 Post by cbushnaq »

I got my RPE and braces both on the same day and was told to turn the key once a day. I ended up turning it 28 times and wore it for about 3 months.

C.

Amburly

#35 Post by Amburly »

I got my braces and expander on the same day. I was told to turn every third day for a total of around 28 to 30 turns. I turned for 3 months then had it 3 more months for things to settle. I have to go back to the ortho in one week to get my TPA installed.

Filip

My RPE experience

#36 Post by Filip »

I am also one of the sufferers from having an RPE. I had to run the key once a day for a month to expand, and then 4 months of healing. My experience is that the month of turning the key to expand (in my case) is the worst. Then the OD locks the RPE with a wire for healing and should cover the wire with some type of plastic glue. That glue has been key to amend the tongue soreness created by the RPE. Now my tongue can touch the RPE without scratching. Make sure you get this lump of glue over the wire. It also helps to block food from entering between the RPE and the roof of your mouth.

I have worn the RPE for 5 months now and lately my speech has started to slip. Maybe I'm just being lazy when it comes to announcing properly/adjusting for the RPE, don't know, but it's gonna be a deeeeeliiiiight to take it out in 2 weeks. :singing: :singing: :singing:

Check my story for pictures of what the glue looks like. (It's been stained by my local Indian resturant).

Good luck

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

peach

#37 Post by peach »

Well I got my lower expander yesterday. I was thinking that the lower one would be much easier to adjust to than the upper expander...I was wrong. When I first looked in the mirror, I asked the ortho. assistant why it was so much higher than I expected. The bar of it is about level to the top of my bottom teeth. I have no place to really put my tongue and this thing has completely messed up my speech. I had to go to work right after the appointment and talk with several clients. It was an awful experience. Not only was is very difficult to talk (I sound like the goffer from Winnie the Pooh-My "S" sounds terrible) but I didn't realize that the expander was going to tear up my tongue. This thing is definitely a torture device for my tongue and my self confidence. I'm hoping it will get better. At least now I know to wrap some wax around this thing! Just curious, does anyone have pics of their lower expanders? Mine is the type with a key. I saw some pics of people's expanders and they are so much lower to the base of their mouths than mine. I'm wondering what the deal is with my expander being so high up.

Filip

#38 Post by Filip »

I'd get that checked right away with your OD. They may have given you one that works better/is more effective, but more cumbersome to wear. That was the case for my upper one. It was so lumpy in my mouth it would have been impossible to speak. The next day they took it out and took molds for a "slim version", which was rougher on my tongue, but allowed for speaking semi-normal right out of the chair.

But do expect that the first 1 week will be a horror when it comes to speaking. Somehow, somehow, maybe from the opening of the expander, speech DOES return after 1-2 weeks. I was the strongest doubter of this claim by others on this board - but they were right and I was wrong.

FYI - I'm speaking for myself, which is only an upper RPE.

Good luck !

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

peach

#39 Post by peach »

Thanks for the feedback Filip. My upper expander hasn't caused me too much trouble. I'm getting used to eating with it and I'm noticing that not as much food gets stuck up there like it used to :HugeGrin: . However, this lower expander is awful. I think my speech is getting a little better but it still ends up hurting my tongue. I use wax on it at night to give my tongue a break from rubbing on it. However, when I try to use wax throughout the day, it never stays put. I have to talk all day at work and when I do, my tongue rubs against the bar, making the wax fall off and causing my tongue to feel sore again :soremouth: . The more my tongue gets sore, the more my speech is affected because I'm trying to avoid contact with the metal bar. At least some of the sores have started to heal since I've been trying to use wax whenever possible.

Debbie

#40 Post by Debbie »

Hi Peach,

I have just got an upper expander (day four), its a removeable one with a key. I'm finding it hard to talk properly (mainly because of the lump of plastic at the front) and all the saliva in my mouth and like you I did try the "search" function on this site but didn't find anything that answered my questions.

I'm going to try using the passage that has been provided and like you my job involves talking all the time. I am also starting a new job (same company but on a different floor) in 3 weeks so I am anxious that I can talk confidently by then.

I'd love to hear how you are getting on...Debbie

peach

#41 Post by peach »

Hi Debbie :)
The first couple of days with an expander are definitely very trying. My upper expander is not removable but does have the key. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I don't even notice it anymore (except when I'm eating and some food gets caught). It hasn't caused too much trouble with my speech but there were a few words that were difficult for me to pronounce, such as "cute". The weird thing is that now that I have the lower expander, which has caused a great deal of problems with my speech (especially words with "s" in it), I can now pronounce the words that I originally had problems with perfectly :huh: .
I must admit that I have been feeling very embarrassed since I got the lower expander in just last Tuesday. Talking at work can sometimes feel like a nightmare and I have to keep reminding myself that others don't seem to have a problem with it like I do. At first, when my upper expander caused me to have some minor speech problems, I just laughed it off. I found it humorous :biglaf: . But when my lower expander increased my speech problem, I just wanted to hide for the next 3-6 months until the thing was removed :paperbag: .
Since running off and hiding for a few months isn't an option, I've been practicing reading out loud and have to slow down my speech, which must have helped some since my coworkers have commented that I sound much better. I've also recorded myself a few times to get an idea of what others are hearing. Surprisingly, I sound a lot worse to myself. I still have a lot of practicing to do but at least I can speak a little more clearly than when I first got my lower expander.
Best of luck with your expander. It will get better. Just make sure that you keep the expander in. I think that if mine was removable, I might be tempted to take it out to talk. It's a good thing that mine is cemented in tight :lol: !

renocivik

my experiences

#42 Post by renocivik »

I have had top and bottom expanders since Thursday.. so today is day 4. They are both removable... and I am instructed to turn the key only once a week for a month. I am guessing this is because i am 26 years old.. and i didnt have the oral surgery to separate my palate... so he is just having me turn it once a week to see if my palate will move on its own without surgery? who knows.. just a guess... id rather just have the surgery.. and then be able to turn once a day or every other day.. and get this over with. Talking has been quite a mission... as well as eating... as well as maintaining the right amount of saliva in my mouth.. haha... I am just now getting used to the feeling of not having any room in my mouth for my tongue... in fact.. its already starting to feel a little bit wierd trying to talk without the expanders in my mouth.. after 4 days.. my bite already is starting to feel a little different.. hardly much at all.. but when your bite is a certain way for 26 years.. and it changes 1/4 of a half of a fraction of a millimeter.. you definitely know.. I have no idea how long i will have to have these expanders in my mouth.. ill know in 4 weeks.. hopefully by then i will know how to talk... i will say though.. i think it would be easier with permanent expanders... without all this acrylic in my mouth...

adrienne

#43 Post by adrienne »

I'm on my first week with my upper expander nearly second week and I can talk fine except for words which require my tongue to reach my palette..
Right now I've already gotten a gap and I'm so freaked out cause my mid-line is now off and my bite is totally different and my nose and my two front teeth hurt :(
I was wondering whether the gap will get bigger after every turn?"
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

renocivik

#44 Post by renocivik »

i am guessing it will get bigger and bigger as you turn the key more and more and your palate spreads apart... but as ive read in many other posts.. it will go back on its own within a month (and sometimes your front teeth will even overlap) but im guessing you will be getting braces right after expanders (some people get braces at the same time as expanders).. and that will correct that gap between your teeth...

i wouldnt freak out too much... just look at the big picture... thats what im trying to do... focus on the end result... if having a perfect smile for the rest of my life.. means a little pain and suffering for a year or 2.. so be it... its hard tho.. when sometimes you feel like you are going in the wrong direction...

myself.. i am 26.. decided that i no longer want to hate my smile... so i went to the dentist... to get it all fixed.. and in the process... they pulled my 2 back molars on the bottom.. and gave me these expanders..which are making my mouth and nose sore (mouth sore.. nose tingly itchy feeling).. and it really feels like i am taking a huge step in the wrong direction.. but i know sometimes you gotta take a few steps back.. in order to step forward in the right direction... ya know..

so dont worry about the gap.. heck.. be proud of your gap.. because you know its part of the process to having a beautiful smile.. :)

gunter8888

#45 Post by gunter8888 »

I got gaps between some of my front teeth when I had my first expander. Once expansion is complete they all slide together nicely.

The best part of expansion is that I now have a wider, more full smile. It was well worth the hassles.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces