New archwire... yay! Marker right smack in the middle...boo!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crysredd

New archwire... yay! Marker right smack in the middle...boo!

#1 Post by crysredd »

Hey everyone...
I went to my ortho for my 3rd visit since being braced and he changed my archwire to a thicker gage which is great but the wire has this marker right in the middle (I suppose it's there for positioning) of my 2 front teeth which wears away with time but I have this dinner party with my boyfriends boss tomorrow night and I'm afraid it's pretty visible. When you glance at me it looks like I have a space between my teeth. Any recs on wiping this mark away? I've tried rubbing alcohol and peroxide with no luck. I also scrub a little more with my tooth brush too. Help!

P.S..... tooth colored ligs which I am loving! And avoiding coffee and tea to minimalize staining.

GinaLime

#2 Post by GinaLime »

I recently had my archwire bumped up as well, with a little red marker line on the wire between my top two front teeth. It faded away by the next day, so I think you'll be OK.

However, while changing the bottom archwire, the assistant put a bead of glue on the wire between my two bottom teeth. She said it's to keep the wire from traveling to one side. Has ANYBODY else had this done? You can't see it unless you look very closely, but I feel like it looks like I have something stuck between my teeth (and I do!).
Bimaxillary protrusion, 4 MM of overjet with a small overbite

Zondrae

#3 Post by Zondrae »

I've had a few of those red dots right in the middle - they usually fade away in a day though. They are there & then all of a sudden they aren't!

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I got a new wire with a black marker on top and green on the bottom. They put clear and smoke powerchains so you can see the marks. It is pretty noticable for the green lower mark. My 5 yr old niece even said "What's that green thing? I think you have something stuck in there." That made me feel great, I tried brushing but the darn powerchain is making it so hard to brush off.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

acehigh

#5 Post by acehigh »

My stainless steel archwire has 3 small black dots right in the middle of the top arch. I had this wire put on about 3 weeks ago, and they don't seem to be fading too fast. Also, my technician put some kind of 'stopper' between brackets to disallow archwire movement. It's a thin metal thing wrapped around the archwire, and is unnoticeable.

4113n

#6 Post by 4113n »

is that what it is?! mine is a different shade of silver. i though the outer coat of the arch wire was scratched or something haha.

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I had a red dot on one of mine. I scraped it off with my finger nail.

All of my later wires had a HUGE metal band clamped to it (a stop)between my teeth. I hated that!!

Towards the end the stop got loose so they put a glob of glue on it and that looked yucky, too. :(

Basically, nobody else really noticed it and if they did they just figured that it was part of my treatment...and it was! :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

I learn new things every day here! :shock:

Dimples

#9 Post by Dimples »

I have 2 metal bands on my archwire, on each side of my two front teeth. They are cylinder shaped. Are these markers??? If so, what is it for...to keep the midline in place???

JumpTheDitch

#10 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I found the red markers in the centre of the lower archwire wore away quickly (1-2 days) but the black marker on the upper wire was far more resiliant, and often lasted 1-2 weeks!

Sorry, crysredd, nothing I did made it fade, but then it never really bothered me so I didn't really try :?

cowlypso

#11 Post by cowlypso »

The black marker on my upper archwire simply isn't going anywhere. I think it's permanent. I got this wire at my first adjustment, which must have been sometime in February... Now it's July, and it's still there. Oh well. She actually used it at my last adjustment, since my archwire had slid around to one side.