Please help me get over this one, I am beside myself!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bernadette

Please help me get over this one, I am beside myself!

#1 Post by Bernadette »

:shock: Beware of the ortho assistant with a drill! Just jump out of the chair !! I am an adult with braces. Funny how I don't tolerate things as an adult like I did when I was a kid. But I let this one slip by for a minute. I have received various dental work over the years. Crowns, fillings, bonding, etc.I have braces on right now and I went in to have the wire adjusted. The new tech spotted some "glue seepage" on my tooth(really a different looking tooth, because it is a real, good one -no crown, etc) and before I knew it, got the drill out to drill it off. I finally had to make her stop after about 30 seconds. The orthodontist knew she was doing this. About an hour later when I was home eating, a piece of my tooth fell out. My reg. dentist is on vaca, so I saw another for advise. Without seeing my xrays, he determined that she actually cut off part of the tooth. I'm going on vaca also. So this dentist said it will be ok to wait for 2 weeks for my reg dentist to come back and maybe I'll even :shock: have to get a Crown ($400.00) I am so upset, what should I do???? How can I stop thinking about this!!

Thathrill

#2 Post by Thathrill »

sounds to me that someone needs to pay to have that fixed.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

That's awful!! Image
Definately call their office and speak to the ortho directly.

At my ortho's office only the orthodontist is aloud to use the "high speed" tool that you are speaking of.

Now I know why!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Dimples

#4 Post by Dimples »

yeah I agree, call your ortho and explain to him what happened.

Wouldn't the ortho have some sort of insurance to cover things like this?
If not, you still need to be compensated.

I too would be PO'ed!

I hope everything works out for you!

married2abuckeye

#5 Post by married2abuckeye »

YIKES!! Sorry Bernadette!! I don't trust anyone poking at my teeth. Hope I get over it by Monday (b-day)!! I had this horrible dental assistant seat one of my permanent and one of my temporary crowns. She basically had 2 left feet for hands, and kept knocking my front teeth with her instruments (ouch!), was just very rough with everything, and it was a very unpleasant experience :-(* I even had bits of cement all over my teeth from her messiness. Luckily she is gone now, but anyway I really understand how annoyed you must be. I hope you're able to sort all this out and you don't have to pay! Maybe your ortho can dip into the thousands you've already paid him in order to cover the costs of fixing the tooth :wink:

I wonder how common things like this are... Keep us posted!

Kirsten

married2abuckeye

#6 Post by married2abuckeye »

Oops, and I forgot to add the part that she did the impression for my permanent crown wrong, so it came back wonky and didn't fit right :-+ My dentist said it'll be ok thru my ortho, but it will need to be replaced after that - at their expense, of course 8)

pinkpatrol

#7 Post by pinkpatrol »

I wouldn't jump the gun on a personal injury attorney. Talk to the ortho first, calmly, and frankly and see what he/she chooses to do. If he/she is just defensive or a jerk about it, and is unwilling to do something about it, THEN maybe consult. Check your waiver/disclaimer paperwork that you had to sign before you started treatment to see what it says about situations like yours, if any. Hope this helps :)

Nancy51

#8 Post by Nancy51 »

Do explain to your ortho calmly the facts and your concerns. Also be clear and direct about what you want him to do about it: apologize, correct the problem without charge. Let him know as calmly as possible that you will feel compelled to see an attorney if you believe that the problem won't be corrected in the manner you've described.

Avoid backing a potential defendant into a corner. If he feels threatened he may stop communicating with you, and you may have to take legal action, which would be a blockade between you ever after. You have your long-term relationship with your ortho to consider. Also, any new ortho you may see may be overly conservative in his advice to you, in fear of a suit. (It's illogical and unfair, but even deserving plaintiffs with excellent cases are treated like dangerous characters. And, yes, word does get around.)

Remember that you never recover all of your costs/losses, even with pain and suffering. Lawsuits are expensive, even if it's small claims court-sized, at the least because of the time they take.

Good luck to you!

Nancy

payoki

#9 Post by payoki »

i'd be very upset as well, I am getting my braces off next wk and it's always the assistance who does most of the work...now I'm worried.
you should definitely talk to your ortho and have him pay for it or repair the damaged tooth himself, if he's a dentist.
mother of one.