Six months with braces and my teeth looks worse

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gilda

Six months with braces and my teeth looks worse

#1 Post by Gilda »

I have braces for six months now and I hate how I look talking or smiling. The treatment is supose to last 10 months
The bottom shape of my mouth looks so strange, looks too wide.
That shape of U on the bottom looks a little square, looks too wide like I have too many teeth on the bottom.
Is it normal? Is it just part of the treatment and then it will go back to a more normal narrowed U?
I don't know if something is going wrong or if the dentist really intended to have this arch very wide

smileygirly

#2 Post by smileygirly »

have faith in your ortho!!!!! mine gave me a REALLY STRONG powerchain, which gave me an underbite!!!!!! that lasted probably two months, and then he gave me some elastices, and my teeth look great!!!! you could always ask them too!!!!!

sportsgrl97

#3 Post by sportsgrl97 »

they always say... " things get worse before they get better"... which was completely true for my case.

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I had all these gaps opening where they never existed. I was getting scared thinking I was going to be gap toothed after tx. The next adjustment, he powerchained them and they're moving into a better arch and not so bucky anymore.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kirjax

#5 Post by kirjax »

after only two weeks in braces a tooth that was in perfect position pulled out - I was mad. So I asked my ortho and she said yeah it did but not to worry right now I'm in the beginning stages and my teeth will move in funky positions before it's time to settle into their new positions. She said that the main focus is to make room meaning some teeth will move forward because of the added pressure. But she assured me not to worry about it.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

LilRedPitViper

#6 Post by LilRedPitViper »

kirjax, I have the same thing happening to my front 2 lower teeth. They were in the right place until the braces went on. Tomorrow is my 2 week mark since I got them on, and now those same 2 teeth are crooked.

I have an appointment with the ortho on Friday, and was planning to ask him what the heck was going on. Some of the teeth are straightening, and others are getting worse?? I'm hoping he'll tell me the same thing your ortho told you.

I guess it makes sense though. But it's still makes me worry. :?

bracieb

#7 Post by bracieb »

arrghh, me too. I knew my ortho had to move my front teeth out in order to put brackets on the bottom (so I don't bite them off) but the movement I've had in the last 2 weeks has me looking more like my horse every day. He's cute and all, but he's a HORSE.

My front teeth have moved out and apart, and look all spread out and gappy, and bucky to boot. NOT attractive, IMO, but I am assured that it is all going according to plan.

It does help to hear others going thru the same thing- that it does get worse before it gets better. I am more self conscious about my teeth now than before I got these things. I hope things move along fast so I can get them looking better sooner.

We'll all hang in there together! :wink:

raninhas

#8 Post by raninhas »

I'm top braced since february, and will have my bottom braces in august 1st. I had an extraction space on my right side (in the back), and now, to close that gap, I suppose, my bottom teeth moved to the right. So now my midline is way off and I hate smiling, because i have a strange smile. It really bothers me...
I have an apptm in 6 days, so I'll definetely adress this issue to my orto...