Difference between Damon Braces and Regular

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KathyC

Difference between Damon Braces and Regular

#1 Post by KathyC »

I don't have braces yet and I have been doing some research. Does anyone have the Damon braces? I would like some information on the differences. I don't even know if there is a doctor near me that uses the Damon but from the website they sound pretty good.

cwatt1

#2 Post by cwatt1 »

Hi Kathy,

I do have Damon brackets, as do a number of other posters here. So far am very pleased with them. They're one type of what is known as a "self ligating" bracket, which is a type of bracket that lets the archwire move relatively freely through the bracket as the teeth move. Traditional braces attach the archwire to the brackets with "ligatures", typically elastic rings that hold the bracket tightly to the archwire. Because the brackets and archwire are held tightly together, they have to be periodically adjusted by the orthodontist. Self-ligating brackets are supposed to require less frequent visits to the ortho and are supposed to use less force to move the teeth more gradually, but continually.

If you're interested in Damons, their website is www.damonbraces.com. You'll also find information about self-ligating brackets if you type in that phrase in the search box on the right of the home page of this website.

Good luck!

Click here to read about my progress.

Rainy

#3 Post by Rainy »

What Meryaten said is true. My ortho will let me choos the knid of braces I want in my situation. He dosnt charge more for any of them. He happens to use Smart Clips, which is another form of self ligating braces.

He did tell me though that what ever kind of braces I chose I was still looking at 24 months. That the treatment would not be shorter if I chose the Smart Clips. So in my case I am choosing based on the looks of them right now, unless something changes between now and my Bday.

Rainy

KathyC

#4 Post by KathyC »

Wow, thanks for all the really GREAT advice. I found an orthodontist that I really like already and had one consultation with him but it was over a year ago. I couldn't find the money to get braces then but I have it now and I'm going back for a second consultation on July 31st. This time though I'm going to be ready with better questions to ask because of this website. He does use self-ligating braces so I'm going to talk to him about those and see what his recommendation is for me. This is such a great website and I'm so glad that I joined here. I'm learning a lot and I will be prepared for my appointment.

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

I liked my Damons a lot....Meryaten has EXCELLENT advice!!

I chose my ortho for his expertese, the bracket system he used came with him. It was a great match.

The ortho's skill comes first!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

My ortho doesn't offer self-ligating but that doesn't mean he's behind in technology. He teaches at a prestigious University and I believe he is very skilled, especially seeing what he has done for my two cousins with very bad under bites and no surgery. Amazing work he does! That really makes me believe that it's not about the big name, better looking, or newest brackets available.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

braced4asmile

#7 Post by braced4asmile »

I totally agree that it's the ortho's skill and expertise that should influence your decision on braces. My ortho came highly recommended and not knowing much about braces, I was lucky to have been educated by my ortho on the different types. She offers a number of different types ranging from traditional to Damons and recommended Damons for my bite and my teeth. I really like them (as much as you can like being behind bars) and feel they are a good fit for my teeth. Best of luck with your consult!

Anxious to be debanded 4/23/08!

cwatt1

#8 Post by cwatt1 »

Going back to the original post, I totally agree with Meryaten that one should always endeavor to find an ortho that he/she is comfortable with and that will give straight and satisfactory answers to the questions Meryaten suggests in her post. I totally agree with jt2lang that those responses are worthy of their own "sticky" so they'll be available as a ready reference to all new visitors to this forum!

My intent in my original answer was simply to respond to Kathy's original question; namely differences between Damon brackets (or any self-ligating bracket system, for that matter) and traditional brackets. I hope that no one perceived this as favoring one bracketing system over another.

Click here to read about my progress.

KathyC

#9 Post by KathyC »

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. My Orthodonist came highly recommended and I went to see him last year and really liked him. He uses self-ligating as well as traditional braces. I am going to talk with him about all kinds and take his recommendation as to what is best for me.

dawnm

#10 Post by dawnm »

You're absolutely right about the skill of the assistants, Meryaten.

I have Damon's and I've had minor door sticking issues. However, I 100% think it has to do with the skill of the assistant who is trying to open them. One assistant can't ever get them open, so another comes along and pops them open in seconds.

Incidentally, I knew nothing about self-ligating braces before my consult. The ortho recommended them based on my treatment needs.

Nancy51

#11 Post by Nancy51 »

Hi,

I have Damon 3's, so that I don't have to take off work so often for visits to the ortho. Also, he felt that I would be more physically comfortable with wearing them. Another factor was the success he's had with using the continuous, small movement brackets (self-ligating) on older patients (no longer 39, the user name tells you the rest. :roll: )

Not sure if any of these factors apply to your circumstances, though.

Nancy