post-adjustment pain variations

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

travelbug

post-adjustment pain variations

#1 Post by travelbug »

Hi everyone,

I just got my third adjustment yesterday. My first two adjustments were done by the same ortho assistant, and both were very easy. I had almost no pain or soreness afterwards. But yesterday, a different ortho assistant took care of my third adjustment. And this time I am in a lot of post-adjustment pain! I don't know if the difference was due to the different assistant or if it is due to other factors?

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Doesn't matter which assistant I get, I leave with sore teeth. The newer assistants just take longer.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

tommyfive

#3 Post by tommyfive »

So far I usually leave the ortho's office pain free, but I know which teeth will be bothering me the next day.

Each time it's different, and the last time, the assistant was training someone, which was fantastic for me because she dictated each step of the process - removing the old ligs, and an old wire, replacing it with a new one, putting on the new ligs, installing wire ties on the teeth to be rotated, etc. The doctor also came and looked me over mentioning chains, etc. for next time. So I got a good narrative on what's going on in my mouth.

While she was putting the wire ties on, the assistant told the new person that I would not be happy with her tomorrow, explained why they use wire ties to engage stubborn teeth, etc. and I knew a little more about what to expect. (and it lasted more than a couple of days, by the way...)

To me it makes a difference if you can get them to tell you what they're doing... Sometimes I think they are in the habit of just doing their work and sending you home - not unlike any other job - they know what they do and perhaps they assume you know what they're doing as well...
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)