Weird spring

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalmom

Weird spring

#1 Post by metalmom »

I tried to search to find out what this is and have had no luck.. I checked the links for the newbies.. I tried googling and I'm having no luck. I'm curious to see if anyone can figure out what this is. I've got an expander on the roof of my mouth. Found TONS of info about that. I've got bare brackets on my front tops and bottoms... On my bottom teeth I have a spring that is attached with two brackets.. it also has a wire that is broken in half that goes behind my teeth.. (spring and wire) Does anyone know what the heck that is? And what is it for? I even read some of the orthodontic journals trying to find this thing and I can't figure it out. I'm not sure if this just has to do with when I get my wires on or what. The little wire is pinching/scratching my tongue and I would love to know what it's purpose is.
THANKS!!
M

rkjohnson1969

#2 Post by rkjohnson1969 »

you need to bug your ortho or assistant to explain these things! I'm sure I make mine crazy, but I know every single thing that is going on or will go on (which has been good, because a couple times I've reminded them of things they meant to do at the "next appt"!)

hope it feels better soon!

metalmom

#3 Post by metalmom »

I'm going to do that when I go back in. I was shocked that I got all this at once I thought it was only going to be the expander.. anyone who's had one knows there isn't much talking going on right after that sucker is put in. haha I've got it on my list of things to ask but man it's driving me crazy.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

A pic might help, if you can take one :D

How long is the spring? Is it between just two teeth to push them apart in order to make space for a tooth "behind" the others, or do you mean it spans more teeth than that?

metalmom

#5 Post by metalmom »

I'm at work so I don't have a camera.. but it's a long spring it spans. I think they're on the bottom 1st bicuspids? and then there are springs from there back to the first molar where the brackets are. so it's all the way across those teeth. I'd give anything for a camera right now so someone could tell me what this thing is. I'm wondering if it's like another expander? but for the bottom? is that possible?

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Sometimes people have expanders on the bottom. Does it look anything like this?

http://www.braces4oxford.co.uk/Expanders.htm

A couple of members here had lower expanders, Gennel and bracieb are the ones I can think of. There is a thread here about it. viewtopic.php?p=191936&sid=3472122164b0 ... 605563ae34

If you can manage to get a pic, somebody here might be able to help, or at least guess :lol:

metalmom

#7 Post by metalmom »

LISA You're a genius!!! That's it!!! Except I actually have some springs that are going on the sides too. When I looked at it better to figure out what teeth it was hooked too I realized it really looked like another expander. I can't wait to go back and find out what on earth we're doing in my mouth! lol

metalmom

#8 Post by metalmom »

I googled that and I found it. It's a banded mandibular expander. I even found some posts on Metal Mouth! Woo hoo!!
It helps so much to know what you're searching for.

Thanks again!

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

Glad to help :wink:

breal87

#10 Post by breal87 »

it's just a bottom expander... I had one just like it