Announcing your decision to your wife/hubby/partner

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SnowSara

#16 Post by SnowSara »

My bf was the one who gave me the encouragement I needed to go through with it in the first place, so he definitely knew I was getting them and was nothing but supportive. Also, kissing is not a problem at all, silly!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

jennielee81

#17 Post by jennielee81 »

Great Topic!!

I started about 4 months before and told my hubby, while viewing an invisalign commercial, that I wanted to get my teeth fixed. he said that was fine, as long as it was what I wanted.

I assured him it was, and (I think) he figured I'd not follow through with any of it....

21 months later I had straight teeth!!

I suggest approacing it from the "I would like to...." perspective. It went well for me. I wish you similar success!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Poeticbraces

#18 Post by Poeticbraces »

I will. Thanks for being so supportive.
I am just waiting for my ortho to confirm that she can do something for me. I will know in two weeks' time... such a short wait... such a long wait!

Iceolated

#19 Post by Iceolated »

Even though my wife was somewhat worred that I wouldn't nibble on her neck quite the same way if my front incisors were straightened she supported my decision fully.

Kissing shouldn't be an issue. I think it's KK (correct me if I'm wrong on this) that is always saying that only the person restricts what they can do during their ortho treatment, braces shouldn't restrict you from any activity eating or otherwise :P .

As for neck nibbling...better than ever so I'm told.

Cheers,

ICE.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

Betty Bat

#20 Post by Betty Bat »

Dear Poeticbraces,
This may come as a shock to you, but I'm sure that your wife already knows what you are doing and what you are contemplating. You don't seem to be the type of person who could keep something like that secret. I'm betting that your wife knows a LOT of things about you that you don't think that she knows.

Sincerely,
A Wife

Way Too Old For This

#21 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Dear Poeticbraces,
This may come as a shock to you, but I'm sure that your wife already knows what you are doing and what you are contemplating. You don't seem to be the type of person who could keep something like that secret. I'm betting that your wife knows a LOT of things about you that you don't think that she knows.

Sincerely,
A Wife
:-* From another wife.....TRU DAT ! :-*
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Sistermadly

#22 Post by Sistermadly »

Wait... no kissing for a month?! Is this (awful) thing true?

joney

#23 Post by joney »

SisterMadly

Don't worry.
Wait... no kissing for a month?! Is this (awful) thing true?
No, it's not true. You can kiss straight away. Braces won't stop you kissing otherwise a lot fewer people would get them. Your teeth may be a bit tender for a few days but your lips are still the same and (most) people kiss with their lips and not their teeth.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Sistermadly

#24 Post by Sistermadly »

Well thank goodness for that. Suddenly my weekend plans look a whole lot brigher. :lol:

PARR

#25 Post by PARR »

My partner came home after a dentist appt and told me dejectedly he was advised to get braces to prevent real issues down the line. We are both late 20s. So I started thinking my smile wasn't perfect and my bite overlapped a bit, and told him maybe we should do this together. He was incredibly relieved, for the acceptance and support. I've had my consult and yes, lots can be done to make a real improvement. We get wired up Aug 16. one extraction and 12-18 months for me, no extractions 24-30 months for him. We're doing full metal for 3 reasons: cost the least, most reliable (least problems), easiest to remove. We're not hiding anything. We're doing this for improved oral health and appearance.

So go ahead, let her know what's up and do it!

Poeticbraces

#26 Post by Poeticbraces »

So, here is what happened.

Betty Bat & Way too Old, you were right... :idea:
My wife was essentially waiting for me to make up my mind...

When I told her I needed braces, she said:
1. that she thought so as the first bill for the otho arrived by post the day before...
2. that I should have done so 30 years ago but since I didn't it was a good idea to do it now.

My son who has got braces on now was delighted with the news (usually boys tend to imitate their dads, but when it is the other way round, it is a real treat).
My daughters hesitated between being amused and complaining about having a 40-something dad who would look like a teenager.

Betty Bat

#27 Post by Betty Bat »

Dear Poeticbraces,
I hope you weren't too disappointed by your wife's reaction. I just had a feeling that she was a smart, loving woman.

Poeticbraces

#28 Post by Poeticbraces »

I was not disappointed at all. I thought it was a great reaction. Very loving, very caring.

discomom

#29 Post by discomom »

I would just tell her that you are unhappy with your appearance and would like braces to improve upon it. Unless you have a totally rotten marriage, I am sure that she will be supportive. My husband is going with me this coming Tuesday to my first consultation. He will be responsible for the payment as much as I will and he wants to be involved from the beginning. Good luck with everything. I know it will be fine. Lori :)

discomom

#30 Post by discomom »

OOOPS! Sorry PoeticBraces, I didn't see your post. I am glad that everything went well. Good luck with your journey!!! :D