Self Ligating In-Ovation C brackets or reg ceramic brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tk1608

Self Ligating In-Ovation C brackets or reg ceramic brackets

#1 Post by tk1608 »

Okay I have another question.. My ortho gave me the option of the clear self ligating brackets or regular ceramic brackets.. Said he didn't have a preference on which I should use only said the self ligating ones I would not have to worry with the staining of the ligs..

Can you guys shed some light on this as the pros & cons of each ?
Is one bigger/bulkier than the other does one look better cosmetically ect.

Any info you could give would be GREATLY appreciated !

Thanks

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

Okay, I have another answer for you - USE SEARCH!

It seems like you have been asking questions where there is already a lot of information available. Have you tried searching on In-Ovation? You can find a lot of information on them, and a lot of personal experience from people who have them.

P.S. And, you didn't answer the question that I asked you in your Spacers thread. Why did you think that you needed spacers? Was it something that you had heard or was there another reason?

tk1608

#3 Post by tk1608 »

I have one word for you ...RUDE !!! :roll:

I have tried using the search & as I have said before I am new to this site so maybe I am a little unfamilar as to how to pull up the info I am looking for !

Everyone so far has been VERY nice as to answering my questions other than one exception !! As for not answering your question on my Spacers thread I did not address you formally but I did say that I was new & somewhat dumb to the whole braces thing & I guess I just always assumed that you needed spacers for the molar bands.. I had no clue they had the buccal tubes !!

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

Dear tk 1608,
I did not mean to be rude or disrespectful. But, I know that there are a lot of board members who are no longer active participants who may have some of the information that you are looking for.

tk1608

#5 Post by tk1608 »

I apologize as well, I will definately try spending a little more time searching the site.. With a 22 month old & full time job I don't have a whole lot of down time to search & search.. Though I have been reading ALOT & have found lots of things very helpful from the site..I didn't realize I would offend anyone by posting my own thread asking the questions I have asked !!

Thanks again for all the help ...

To answer your question jt2lang I am not sure what the other brand was other than the In-Ovation C. I just know when he explained the 2 options.. With the in-ovation C he said I did not have to worry about the ligs discoloring because of course no ligs are required but I would have a little more metal showing as seriously has spoke of. ...
With the ceramic he said not as much metal but of course you had the lig discolouring to worry about !

Meryaten I will definatley ask about the removal on both the In-ovation C & the other ceramics..

Again I just wanted to try to get other views & advice to help me decide as to what bracket I will go with.. It was also a good suggestion to see of the 2 brackets what bracket will match closest to my tooth color !!

I would like them to be as discreet as possible therefore I don't believe I will be wearing colored ligs.. on another side note I do not drink alot of caffeine at all though I know tht is not the only thing that will stain the ligs !

tk1608

#6 Post by tk1608 »

Thanks for all the advice.. I appreciate all the input !!

tk1608

#7 Post by tk1608 »

All VERY Good advice... I am getting SO EXCITED .. I can't wait to get them on.. Reading everyones stories is so inspiring..

As of now I think my determining factors will be which brackets seems to be easier to get off & which matches my tooth color the best.

Meryaten, you seem VERY Knowledgeable & after reading some of your posts you have stated that had the In-Ovation C's been available when you were getting your brackets on those would have been your choice over the ceramic .

Do you still feel this way & would you mind telling me your personal reasoning behind those statements..

Thanks so much

Lorien

#8 Post by Lorien »

I have the Inspire clear brackets which do require ligatures.

Ligs are a pain for me - I'm not thrilled by the colored ligs, although many people do love them! The stain factor is very frustrating. I've tried clear and white. Clear took a week to turn yellow, and white turned yellow the very first night when I had a sandwich with mustard. I'm going to have to try colors this week due to the staining issue.

If I could have gone with the self-ligating, I would have done so!

Lorien

#9 Post by Lorien »

Ah, and in regards to how big of an issue staining is...

My white ligs went from white to yellow to orange. Even with brightening toothpaste, hydrogen peroxide, and water swishing. I've not had any comments about my braces until my ligs stained... "How did they turn yellow?!" and so on.

tk1608

#10 Post by tk1608 »

Lorien wrote: If I could have gone with the self-ligating, I would have done so!
I think as of right now I am leaning more towards these brackets !!

Miss Smiley

#11 Post by Miss Smiley »

I thought I really wanted SL brackets and now that I look back, doesn't really matter to me. The staining isn't so bad that people ask me what I've done to them. It's more of myself wondering how I'm going to undo the havok of fluro-yellow/green curry ligs. After a couple days I get over it and tend to hold off on eating crazy staining foods for the day before adjustments.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix