Lymph Nodes swollen

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatK

Lymph Nodes swollen

#1 Post by KatK »

Anyone ever have their cheek beaten up so badly by the "hook" on their braces that their lymph nodes were swollen? (Mine is VERY bad)

I've had the lymph node above my collar bone swollen for quite a while.. i started doing the peroxyl rinses like mad, and it went down A LOT, but it's still there. My regular doc is concerned so I'm seeing a surgeon... but I thought I would ask here if anyone has experienced this... I'm obviously quite nervous about the biopsy!
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

Carolinahigh12

#2 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

I have never heard of any association with braces and swollen lymph glands, but I have heard of a relation of wisdom teeth and swollen lymph nodes. By any chance do you have a cat or new kitten? It is possible that you may have cat scratch fever ( and it is really an illness, not just a song)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_scratch_fever

you may want to see your dentist also to check your wisdom teeth ( that is if you still have them).
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

KatK

#3 Post by KatK »

No cat... and I don't have my wisdom teeth. Oh well, I'm still trying to remain positive!
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!

Carolinahigh12

#4 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Have you tried webmd.com to research your syptoms?
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

mindykatz

#5 Post by mindykatz »

Wow thats so weird - Ive never heard of braces causing sickness either. I hope you let us know what happens!

WebMD is awesome unless you're somewhat of a hypochondriac (like me!). Sometimes I'll go on there to see whats wrong with me and I'll be like, "hmm..I have a headache, nausea, and I yarfed a bit this morning...OMG I HAVE MENINGITIS!", when its just a 24 hour stomach bug..lol!

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

I had a swollen lymph node when I had a big cavity on my molar. The tooth was really rotten. After it was pulled off the swollen lymph node calmed down.

KatK

#7 Post by KatK »

Hey all! Thanks for your responses...

Yeah... I'm definitely a hypochondraic... I hate the internet because I'm always finding my minor symptoms and thinking crazy things too! I've decided that swollen lymph nodes are a hypochondriacs worst nightmare!!!! :-)
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!

Jennine

#8 Post by Jennine »

I actually had swollen glands the whole first 2 weeks of my braces. I had alot of pain at first and inflamation. It felt like strep throat without the strep. I just figured it was sensitivity to the cement and glue, which in my case, it probably was.

KatK

#9 Post by KatK »

hhhmmm... that makes total sense because I had awful throat pain as well after the cement and everything... and then I just had my adjustment where they had to re-do one of the brackets. The cement that flew on my mouth actually burned my skin when I was getting the pendulum off. These are all good things to note. Thanks again everyone :-)
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!

dubnobass

#10 Post by dubnobass »

Yep, I have the same thing if I have a big mouth ulcer. I'm currently enjoying an ulcer on my lower lip centre, because of a surgical hook, and one on my upper left, because of a pokey-out archwire. The lymph gland under my jaw on my left is therefore a bit swollen and tender.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I've been told it's pretty normal for severe mouth ulcers.

loulou123

#11 Post by loulou123 »

Dont know about braces causing swollen glands, but i no from past experiance that an infection in your gum or tooth can cause swollen glands in the neck.

Also i managed to get tonsillitus days after being braced and this causes swollen glands and the sore throat, so may be worth thinking about.

Hope you feel better soon.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

wonky mcsnaggletooth

#12 Post by wonky mcsnaggletooth »

Yeah, I got swollen glands only on one side of my neck a few weeks after I got braces. I felt fine otherwise, but it bothered me. I might have had a canker sore at the same time but I never correlated the two.

KatK

#13 Post by KatK »

Hi All! Just wanted to give an update incase someone may be having the same issue. The surgeon decided NOT to biopsy the lymph node because he thinks it is related to the cuts/canker sores in my mouth. I will go back in 6 weeks, and he will re-evaluate.

That being said... a simple query online for swollen lymph nodes above the collarbone can yield very scary results. Don't panic, but it's always best to have it checked out!

Thanks for everyone's input! :-)
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!

rsprouse

#14 Post by rsprouse »

Hi All! Just wanted to give an update incase someone may be having the same issue. The surgeon decided NOT to biopsy the lymph node because he thinks it is related to the cuts/canker sores in my mouth. I will go back in 6 weeks, and he will re-evaluate.

That being said... a simple query online for swollen lymph nodes above the collarbone can yield very scary results. Don't panic, but it's always best to have it checked out!

Thanks for everyone's input! :-)
Good call on having it checked out. Lymph nodes are basically garbage cans for bacteria. They only fill if your body is naturally fighting something. All lymph from the head drains down towards the neck so it makes sense that they would be swollen. Yes, the downside of swollen lymph's in the head/neck can be very scary sounding. But in those bad cases it doesn't usually happen overnight. Just keep on top of it and you will be fine.

Good Luck,
Rory

gbird

#15 Post by gbird »

I had the same problem! My doctor said that maybe when the brackets scratched your cheek it got irritated and made the gland swell. I would usually have that happen after an adjustment. weird huh!? It's nothing to worry about though. I even have them swell when i'm getting sick so its like a warning sign lol.