I'm still braced, and..... NOW I'M ENGAGED!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaynage

I'm still braced, and..... NOW I'M ENGAGED!

#1 Post by jaynage »

I've been visiting this forum since I was braced early last year, and although I haven't been a regular contributor (more of a reader than a writer :P) I just wanted to share some happy news with some fellow brace'ees!

I had the braces put on in Feb 2006, at which point I had been with my partner for just over a year. We had been discussing marriage since late last year, but for some reason I had some hang-up about being engaged and in braces, like it would ruin the moment or something. I also never thought he'd propose to me whilst I was still braced, yuk!

But.... I was wrong!! We are now engaged, and planning our wedding for November 2008! I'm scheduled to get the bands off in late October this year, so we've decided to hold off on the engagement party celebrations until I have my new smile :D So now I have two things to look forward to!

So there you go, it CAN happen, no matter how ugly your mouth feels! And becoming engaged with braces on wasn't a big deal at all, even though I thought it would detract from the experience. And honestly, braces are the last thing you're thinking of when it happens! So if any of you are discussing marriage or thinking of proposing (I'm including guys and girls here!), but concerned about the braces factor, don't let braces get in the way, and go for it!

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

I dated my now husband for one week before I got braces. A year later we were engaged and I still had braces, this past May I was married with braces. If you meet the right person braces shouldn't matter at all :lol: My braces are now off but I can say that cermaics are virtually invisible in my wedding photos. Good luck to you.

cwatt1

#3 Post by cwatt1 »

I'm so happy for you, jaynage!

It just goes to show you that braces don't change who you are, and those who love you could care less that you have them! I hope readers of this forum who are reluctant to pursue orthodontics because of how it will make them look will read this and realize how insignificant braces are in terms of WHO you are!

I wish you and your partner every happiness.

Click here to read about my progress.

jaynage

#4 Post by jaynage »

cwatt1 wrote:I'm so happy for you, jaynage!

It just goes to show you that braces don't change who you are, and those who love you could care less that you have them! I hope readers of this forum who are reluctant to pursue orthodontics because of how it will make them look will read this and realize how insignificant braces are in terms of WHO you are!

I wish you and your partner every happiness.
Thanks cwatt1, and another really good point that you brought up there as well!

If there are people out there who are considering braces, but are reluctant to get them because they think that a) it would make their partners less attracted to them, or b) it would hurt their chances of finding a partner, then please keep in mind that if someone really loves you, then braces wouldn't even be a factor. And if they DID become a factor, would you really want to spend your life with someone who was that shallow?

Good luck to everyone out there in this position, and remember that you really will be thankful in the end for taking the journey!

Mmmmuuaa

#5 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Congratulations!

Tin Indian

#6 Post by Tin Indian »

:D YES! jaynage- A hearty CONGRATULATIONS are in order :D Your story would be a great " I told you so" to everyone in braces who needs a confidence booster.
T.I.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

Living proof that life goes on even with wires!

Congrats and may the best be yet to come.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Naranja

#8 Post by Naranja »

Congrats jaynage!!! :rose:

I feel very happy for you, even if I don't know you, always make me happy people who have enough courage to commit themselves to something like marriage (it's a very important step in life, no matter if you are wearing braces or not)

I really wish you good luck,

love the love, love your braces :wink:

Milk n Cereal

#9 Post by Milk n Cereal »

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm so happy to hear that, jaynage! Way to be great inspiration for everyone. :) Best wishes for the future!

:-88

alliphd

#10 Post by alliphd »

Congratulations! I also recently got engaged, braces and all. We took a couple of pictures, but I'm definitely waiting until the braces come off for official ones! My braces should come off by June 08, and at the earliest we'll get married August 08. Congrats again, and enjoy it!

(Click WWW link for the details!)

Pixel Witch

#11 Post by Pixel Witch »

Congrats!

:banana: :dance: :banana:

samantha_lou

#12 Post by samantha_lou »

Congratulations!

renocivik

congrats

#13 Post by renocivik »

congrats on getting engaged.. me and my wife have been married for 3 months now.. and im just starting the process of having a nice smile... starting with top and bottom expanders.. and 3 weeks into it.. i am just now starting to be able to talk! haha.. im beginning to really respect the process of having a nice smile... where are you located? need a dj? haha.. i own my own mobile dj business based out of Idaho.. but i like traveling.. (hey.. its an excuse for a vacation)..

Joel
http://www.BoiseMobileDjs.com

jaynage

Re: congrats

#14 Post by jaynage »

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and well wishes! I certainly don't think I'm an inspiration (lol I didn't really do anything!), but I hope my story makes people feel a lot better about having braces in general :D
renocivik wrote:congrats on getting engaged.. me and my wife have been married for 3 months now.. and im just starting the process of having a nice smile... starting with top and bottom expanders.. and 3 weeks into it.. i am just now starting to be able to talk! haha.. im beginning to really respect the process of having a nice smile... where are you located? need a dj? haha.. i own my own mobile dj business based out of Idaho.. but i like traveling.. (hey.. its an excuse for a vacation)..

Joel
http://www.BoiseMobileDjs.com
Thanks for the offer renocivik! I think we're actually going for a band, but if we did decide on a DJ, we're actually in Australia, so it would probably be a very costly little working vacation for you!! :shock: