Need advice (please)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Naranja

Need advice (please)

#1 Post by Naranja »

Hello
I've been reading this board since quite a long time, I feel like you are very comprehensive and supporting so I'll ask for advice to all of you (who reads this thread). I'm really confused now...
Let me tell you my story.

I got braces in March, before that I was in treatmen to correct an awful "click" in my jaw (it sounded very loud when I opened my mouth). Ok, now I've been in braces for almost 5 months. I choose my ortho after 3 consultations, starting to the base my dentist and my occlutionist recomended the same person and I also found really good references; I finnaly choose.

After he first appointmen I told my mother (I went with her, since I'm 21 and she's dealing with the money part) I felt something wrong about him, but after a small talk my fears went away. The thing is... even since I started my treatment I've been having amazing troubles with canker sores, noticing that i get them more frequently with my braces and it's way more painful even if I use lots and lots of wax. I talk to my ortho about this issue, and he said: "Your mouth is doing fine, but I can't work very well with all that ulcers inside your mouth, you'll have to do something" I told him I'm not doing anything special to get them, they only pop into my mouth. Anyway... the thing is... a friend of mine knows "biomagnetism" (I don't know if that's the right word in english, sorry.... but it sounds like that) and she told me that my canker sores came from my ortho's instruments...

Meaning: He doesn't esterilize in a good way.

I'm a little worried because that were my fears at first :(. And aparently it's true. Not because my friend told me that (I'm not 100% sure/according what she said), but it made me think hardly

Now, at my next appointment I plan to try to ask him about the hygiene of his instruments... because to tell the truth... I mean... He doesn't wear gloves, or any other stuff besides the white coat. He does wash his hands all the time.
And my other option is to change ortho definitely.

My mom doesn't say anything about it. So I'm guessing is me the one who has to make this right.

And that's it... I really would like to know your opinions.

By the way.. my ortho is the one who treats me, doing all inside of my mouth. There's no assistant, only a secretary

Thanks for reading

Naranja

#2 Post by Naranja »

I appreaciate your opinion Maryaten. Thanks

I'm from Chile, and I don't know if there's a law or something like that for the use of gloves (although I think they ARE necesary in hygiene issues). My dentist, my occlutionist and my kinesiologist (all different people) used gloves every time they treated me, but since my ortho is an "old man" (not really old... let's say.... he has more than 60 years old) I'm guessing he's old fashioned, and old school and that's why he doesn't use them. I do know other orthos who wear gloves (with more modern offices).

And I definitely had in consideration the ponits you make about getting sores. Maybe I should review them :)

Betty Bat

#3 Post by Betty Bat »

Perhaps you could ask your dentist for an opinion. He/she might be able to give you some advice on the canker sores. As Meryaten pointed out, they might not be directly related to the braces, but might have some other cause.

And, your dentist might be able to tell you if there are any regulations on the use of gloves in Chile.

If your dentist gave you advice when you were looking for recommendations on an orthodontist, then he/she might be able to give you advice in other areas as well.

Good luck.

P.S. The only time I had canker sores with my braces was when I used a particular mouthwash, one with sodium lauryl sulfate (as Meryaten pointed out). Have you changed anything in your eating or drinking habits, toothpaste or mouthwash, etc. since you got your braces?

Naranja

#4 Post by Naranja »

P.S. The only time I had canker sores with my braces was when I used a particular mouthwash, one with sodium lauryl sulfate (as Meryaten pointed out). Have you changed anything in your eating or drinking habits, toothpaste or mouthwash, etc. since you got your braces?
Betty Bat, I haven't changed any of those things above. And I'll ask my dentist about it, I recall once she gave me a medication to heal sores, thanks.

And I was just thinking (or maybe I'm just being paranoid) that I've been having recent stomach problems/infections that I didn't had before (not caused by food or stress) :cry: