Band free braces (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oceanblue

Band free braces (pic)

#1 Post by oceanblue »

Does anyone else out there have braces with no bands on the molars at all? I do ... strange? I'm actually pretty happy I didn't have to deal with bands!

Pic - no bands - nothing on those last two back teeth! (click to see larger):

Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

joney

#2 Post by joney »

You're lucky, mine go all the way to my back molars. You must have a good molar relationship.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have porcelain crowns and no molar bands on them. I have bonded molar/buccal tubes. So far, so good.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I have no bands... yet. The brackets seem to do just fine on porcelain crowns (I have 2), but they don't seem to do quite as well on gold crowns. My last bracket on the upper left is on a gold crown. It was fine when I just had braces, but since adding elastics the bracket on the gold crown has popped off twice. My ortho says if it happens again he will band that tooth. :(
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Mmmmuuaa

#5 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

No bands here either. I'm glad that I never needed them. On my wisdom teeth there are no brackets on either.

oceanblue

#6 Post by oceanblue »

Ahh yes Meryaten . . . I was not trying to suggest that I was the only one who did not have molar bands, nor was I saying anything about having no molars included in my treatment. I was just showing a picture of what it looks like to have no bands. That's it.

Would it be possible for you not to comment on my posts in the future? I feel as if you have the attitude of: your opinion is the final and most important opnion and you are an authority on all things on this board. It is misleading, untrue, and also probably confusing to younger readers.

Pixel Witch

#7 Post by Pixel Witch »

edit: nevermind. :shock:

chillin-in-grilz

#8 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I didnt at first, but on my 1st adjustment 2 months later I did.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

oceanblue

#9 Post by oceanblue »

Knock yourself out! I just don't care to hear your opinion on anything I post.

red indian

no molar bands either

#10 Post by red indian »

I have brackets on my molars just like the other teeth. (even on the crowns). I didnt even realise that was uncommon till now.

tommyfive

#11 Post by tommyfive »

I have bonded brackets up & down, 12 & 12, and my right bottom first molar even has a fissure in it (being crowned after the braces are off). They glued the buccal tube right to it. That's an anchor tooth which is not moving the way the others are, and apparently they feel (and the dentist agreed) that real teeth will respond/perform better than crowned ones.

I do have one crowned tooth that's braced as well and they bonded that one as well; no problem.

At my consult I asked about whether they would use spacers and bands on my back teeth, but the consultant told me 'no, we don't use bands here.' not sure if she meant in my case, or in that practice. didn't really matter...

bands or bonded, I think it depends on the case, the practice, the doctor, etc.
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

Tanj

#12 Post by Tanj »

I've had my braces on for only 6 days and was "checking" them out in the mirror the other day and noticed the same! I'm feeling luck (now that the tenderness has gone a little) it gives me two (well four.. two top and two bottom) teeth on each side that i can chew with!. I never thought i would miss bitting down on something so much :)

cwatt1

#13 Post by cwatt1 »

This is an interesting thread. I have the the brackets -- no bands -- but one of my first molars is a porcelain crown. My ortho said he was pretty sure the bonding would work, but if not we'd need to replace with a band. So far, so good though.

Click here to read about my progress.

SecondTimer

#14 Post by SecondTimer »

I have bands on my first molars, but when the ortho decided to band the second molars, I was able to talk him into using the bonded tubes to avoid going through a second round of spacers. This was done with the understanding that if we had problems with the tubes popping off, he'd switch to bands.

It's been six months and none of the tubes have popped off the second molars. I think I'm getting close to the end of treatment, so it looks like it paid off. I really like the bonded tubes vs bands, they have a much lower profile.

jennielee81

#15 Post by jennielee81 »

I too, have only brackets bonded to my molars. I have a bracket on each 2nd molar, but there was only a wire in them for about 2 months.

This is not odd at all, simpley different. :lol:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm