Latex Allergy?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheUnk311

Latex Allergy?

#1 Post by TheUnk311 »

I've had latex elastics for about 2 months, never had any irritation at all from then up until the past week. One day my cheeks and lips started to become really irritated and red and my lower lip actually became swollen. I took the elastics out for a couple days, let my mouth heal, and put the elastics back in. The following morning I was all red and swollen again.

I called my ortho office and they think I probably developed a latex allergy so they'll give me latex free ones at my next appt. Didn't expect that considering I've never had an alergic reaction to anything ever before.

Has this happened to anyone else? Seems odd that I would be fine for 2 months and then have this suddenly happen.

Are latex free ones just as effective? I hate delays and am already bummed that I've gone almost 1.5weeks without my elastics in.

sophielafille

#2 Post by sophielafille »

This happened to me too, almost exactly, it sucked so bad I was in tears. I had to get a cream for my swollen mouth and lips. The non latex elastics worked fine.

-sophie
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

IzzyCharm

#3 Post by IzzyCharm »

I found out I was orally allergic to latex when they put my braces on using latex gloves. I have the non-latex rubber bands and they work fine. Good luck. Latex allergies SUCK!!!!

Sherri

#4 Post by Sherri »

I had a reaction to the elastics as well. Evertime I tried to wear them my tongue and cheeks would swell. They gave me the plastic ones instead. They are not as effective so they told me to double them up. When they get wet they go kind of spongy and they break frequently. Everytime I tried to go back to the latex they seemed so much tighter, but I just couldn't weat them.