Whitening after braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheUnk311

Whitening after braces

#1 Post by TheUnk311 »

I think I am really close to getting a debanding date, my last visit I was told I will probably get a "final date" at my next visit.

I want to use some whitening strips or something along those lines afterwards. One my my upper fronts is a shade darker than the rest, my dentist thinks it was mild trauma that caused it. My question is, if I use whitestrips, will this become more noticeable since it is not caused so much from staining?

Kat

#2 Post by Kat »

I would spend the extra many and have my teeth cleaned and professionally whitened by the dentist. That way you come away with a great job and you can enjoy your new smile now. Make you appointment now once you find out your debanding appointment. Go from one to the other, you'll the the results!

SandraJones

#3 Post by SandraJones »

Not to conradict Kat, but I would actually use the white strips first to see whether or not the dark tooth will lighten at all, before you spend $600 on an in-office procedure. I read that some discolored teeth simply cannot be whitened. If you do show success with the white strips, THEN you will probably want to do the in-office procedure.

SnowSara

#4 Post by SnowSara »

My dentist & I are already planning to do whitening once my braces come off, so yes, de-banding and whitening back to back!

My ortho also told me that my essix retainers can be used as whitening trays which is a bonus.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Sherri

#5 Post by Sherri »

Thats true. When my son got his braces off and had the essex retainers made up I put some left over zoom whitening gel into his retainers. I used the zoom before I had braces put on and I found it very painful. It felt like electric jolts hitting my teeth. When my son used it he had really intense pains as well, so I discontinued using it with him.

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

There is nothing wrong with trying the "cheaper" approach first. I can guarantee you that you can get a better result from a professional or in office system. But, the at home route may be enough whitening for your tastes. Everyone's expectations are different, the 2 weeks and $2X for the at home kit is a good start. If it isn't enough whitening, then you are out < $30, but the upside is you can save a lot of money if you are happy with the results. If you do opt for an in office product (Zoom/Bright Smile/etc) then I recommend that you use a sensitivity toothpaste (Sensodyne/Crest Sensitivity/etc) for at least 2 weeks prior to the procedure. Then an hour before the procedure take 2 ibuprofen (assuming you don't have any allergies or contraindications to it). This will minimize the procedural or post op sensitivity. If you are the type of person that is sensitive to whitening procedures (like me, but it has been 15 months so maybe I am over it?) then realize that if you stop whitening the sensitivity will diminish and disappear over the course of a couple days. But by "pre-brushing" for a couple weeks I would expect you to have a much more comfortable experience.

Good Luck in the decision, and if you do it at home make sure you take before/after pics. Any office should do it for you if you choose that route.

Best,
Rory

smile2006

#7 Post by smile2006 »

Just sharing my experiences. I had my braces removed 3 weeks ago and I am dying to whiten my teeth (sort of bring things to a closure). I am choosing to have whitening trays made (essentially essix retainers) by my ortho. They have a nice deal for trays and gel for patients (I only have hawley retainers). My ortho said no whitening for a month after my braces were removed. Two reasons for this (1) the gums are repairing themselves and will shrink back slightly and if you whiten too soon its possible the gums are still a bit swollen over the teeth and (2) your teeth will continue to settle so its best to wait a bit to get the trays made. So he won't make the trays until braces have been off for a month! I definately have seen my gums quickly return to a nice state so in my case he is right in that regard. This is just what I was told :lol: So I continue to wait for my final step but it is getting close!

I also wonder what happens if you whiten and you have a bit of the bonding material here and there. I just tried to make an appointment with my hygenist and she is on vacation for 2 weeks. I have a couple teeth where I can feel a little bonding material near the gums.

raninhas

#8 Post by raninhas »

Linda21, that is one of my concerns. I want to whiten my teeth once I get naked teeth, but I do have some fillings. I think I'll just have to whiten the teeth and then replace the fillings.
~
Bummer :roll:

sjsarre

#9 Post by sjsarre »

Hi Linda

Did the whitening product work?