I can't eat! (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peaceandhope

I can't eat! (pic)

#1 Post by peaceandhope »

I got my lowers braced yesterday. The ortho asst. said it was like performing surgery.

Well, now my molars don't touch. They don't even come close. I can't chew anything. I had a hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and navy bean soup for lunch today. That is the only thing I have eaten and I could barely get the meat down. My teeth don't hurt persee, but I don't see how I am going to eat!!!!

and 3 votes for glow-in-the-dark alastics!!! They look so much whiter than anything I have seen. She put them over my ligs too. Happy she talked me into them!

Tanj

#2 Post by Tanj »

Let me know how those glow in the dark ones go (re staining). I'm avoiding the curry for the next few months but really want to try the glow in the dark.. (the braces bring out the kid in me!).

peaceandhope

g-in-t-d alastics

#3 Post by peaceandhope »

I have had them on my uppers for two + weeks and have had NO staining. Glow-in-the-dark rocks! you can barely see my uppers in that picture but, they "match" the new lower alastics.

My molars don't touch because the brackets are in the way. I have an overbite (30%) and I guess it just doesnt all work out!

Tanj

#4 Post by Tanj »

Thanks for the tip!
I'll most certainly look into Glow in the Dark for my next appointment. I wonder how freaked out my fiance will be when i smile at night *heheheh*.

jf74

#5 Post by jf74 »

Your ortho can probably do a molar buildup. I had the same problem ( some of my top teeth were hitting the lower brackets ). Now I no longer hit the brackets, just my molar are touching and the other teeth barely touch but after a few days of practice I can eat anything.

cally

#6 Post by cally »

If you could get down a hot turkey sandwich, mashed potatoes and navy bean soup, I don't think you're in much danger of starving. Yes, it's more difficult and very different than before the brackets were placed, but with a little time and effort, you will be able to eat enough to sustain you. The teeth will start moving immediately and things will get easier and easier.

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

Congrats on being braced!

I tested out one lig to check out the stain resistance of glow in the dark ligs and decided against it once I saw how yellow it turned in 3 weeks. I have a picture of it in my braces story. You can check out the www link in my signature.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

peaceandhope

#8 Post by peaceandhope »

I tested out one lig to check out the stain resistance of glow in the dark ligs and decided against it once I saw how yellow it turned in 3 weeks.
Wow, your alastic did stain! GITD must only be non-staining for certain brands. Mine have definitley have not stained and it has been over 2 weeks now. I had pretty good luck with the clear ones too though until the last round so I may be avoiding staining with my diet.

Now, you have me worried about my comfort tubing. I have huge stretch of it.

:roll:
Ceramic Uppers 2-15-07
Stainless Lowers 7-26-07

Overbite 30%
Overjet 4mm
Elastics in my future.
Recently lost two teeth from misaligned jaws.

peaceandhope

!

#9 Post by peaceandhope »

well that didnt last long...I knocked off a bracket. I thought I chipped my upper tooth when it happened. My mouth was barely closed.

Anyhow, I still can't bite down, but it feels better when I try to eat. Worst part is my Ortho is only open on Fridays.
Ceramic Uppers 2-15-07
Stainless Lowers 7-26-07

Overbite 30%
Overjet 4mm
Elastics in my future.

LaaLaa

#10 Post by LaaLaa »

The Ortho assistant does the tying of ligs and so far, she's only chosen the clear for the ceramic uppers and dark silver (almost identical to the color of the metal brackets) and was thinking of trying different colors starting next month, so thanks for the heads up on the glow-in-the-dark, MissSmiley!! With me being a staining food and especially drink addict, I have to be really careful with my choice of color. :P One time, I went out to eat for Japanese noodles and boy my ligs and the clear brackets bumpers I had on my bottom front teeth at the time turned neon green in an instant. :shock: It practically seemed like I was signaling to the space station every time I opened my mouth, those things were glowing so much! :lol:

peaceandhope, congrats on getting fully braced!! I had so much trouble eating at first because my molars just wouldn't touch each other but just know that it will get better and you will start to eat semi-normally soon!! I was even having a little trouble after my latest adjustment but it does get easier and easier each day.:wink: I know what you mean about your Ortho not being open every day during the week. My Ortho's only opened full days twice a week and half days twice (usually only for phone calls though) so if something happens after Thurs. then I'll usually have to wait until Mon. unless it's an emergency. I'm in my third month now and lucky me, another bracket popped off a few days ago. :?

dubnobass

Re: !

#11 Post by dubnobass »

peaceandhope wrote:well that didnt last long...I knocked off a bracket. I thought I chipped my upper tooth when it happened. My mouth was barely closed.

Anyhow, I still can't bite down, but it feels better when I try to eat. Worst part is my Ortho is only open on Fridays.
Oh dear. I had braces 20 years ago with no molar build-ups and a deep overbite and knocked the brackets off time and time again until my mum got fed up of taking me back to the orthodontist and the treatment was stopped altogether.

Now, second time around, I had molar build-ups for the majority of my treatment time (20 months or so) and haven't knocked off any brackets. By the sound of it, you definitely need it. It's pretty common with deep bites.

peaceandhope

#12 Post by peaceandhope »

I will ask about molar buildups when I go in on Friday. I think I might go for some silver alastics too. Those do look nice on the stainless brackets. I think the whiteish colors make my teeth look like I have some bread stuck in my teeth.

I am already tired of this! I hope this eventually gets to where I forget I have braces like it did when I just had them on top. :)
Ceramic Uppers 2-15-07
Stainless Lowers 7-26-07

Overbite 30%
Overjet 4mm
Elastics in my future.

raninhas

#13 Post by raninhas »

I can't chew normally either! :soremouth:

I got my bottom braces yesterday (have had the upper ones since February) and on my left side, the band´s hook on my bottom molar is hitting my upper banded molar, so it's the only side that touches (up and down, I mean).

But I'm sure that, with time, I'll find a way to chew, a new way.

After all, human beings are of habits, right? :dance:

No worries, no worries... :thumbsup:

Lorien

#14 Post by Lorien »

I was braced in late June of this year.

EVERY time I have had an adjustment, but particularly when I was first braced, my molars have ceased to touch. A week and a half after getting braced, my molars magically made contact again. After my adjustments (3 so far) it takes about 2 days or so in order for things to feel closer.

I have no clue why this is - my molar bite was perfect prior to the procedures. {shrug}

SandraJones

#15 Post by SandraJones »

peaceandhope, hang in there ! You are going through the worst part. It won't be long before your alignment and bite are improved and you don't have the issues that you are having now, or at least they won't be as severe. It sucks now but it WILL get better.

And I will take my own advice getting braces on again 2 weeks ! Round 2. Round 1 was 30 years ago ! I have separators in place now and I am having trouble eating even the softest foods. When I had my orthognathic surgery many years ago and had my jaws wired, I became a blender expert. :-) EVERYTHING got blended. I swear, you can blend up a whole dinner ! I think I'm going to start doing that again. No sense in being any more miserable than I already am. :-)

Btw, I would just like to say that I have perfected the art of sucking a Power Bar (Triple Threat caramel peanut fusion) instead of chewing it. I cut it into tiny slices. Takes me like an hour to eat it.