Clear vs. Metal (opinions please)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bellita

Clear vs. Metal (opinions please)

#1 Post by Bellita »

I am only able to get 6 ceramics on top, the rest and the bottom would be metal. Can anyone give me their advice or experience with both.

It seems that treatment with metals can be shorter and they are smaller (which is very important to me) I think I rather go for metal since i actually think braces are kind of cute, espcially the metals which are not as bulky. (ive never seen ceramic braces in person)

Are you brace weares happy with your clear or with your metals?
or would you chose something else if you could start all over?

SandraJones

#2 Post by SandraJones »

My orthodontist told me that the metal brackets are lower profile so they'll be more comfortable.

The metal brackets are pretty tiny these days. And I agree, they're kind of cute ! Nerdy cute. :-)

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I had ceramic uppers (6) and the rest were metal.

I was happy.

Sounds like you'd be happier with all metal. A lot of people are!! IT's almost like asking someone else if you should get white or yellow gold jewery, it's a personal preference.

My ceramics didn't really prolong my treatment, there was a little issue with some torquing, but the brackets held up and all was good in the end.

Check out my link below to see what mine looked like....they were Opals. I was only 1 of 2 people on here with them so they're not very widely used and you probably wouldn't get them. Meryaten had ceramics that looked great, check out her story, also. Lots of others on here have them, check out the my braces story page to find more. :thumbsup:

Best wishes to you!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I have six ceramics on the top and rest are metal. Ceramic ones are smoother and do not tear my cheeks as much as metal ones.
If I could choose again, I would take ceramics on the bottom as well.

I dont know about treatment times but I dont think that 6 ceramic brackets on the top will prolong my treatment coinsiderably.

smile2006

#5 Post by smile2006 »

I had full ceramics. I had them removed 3 weeks ago. If I had it to do again, I'd choose metal. The ceramics were large and in my case I had a horrible experience getting them removed. They did not come off easily at all. For some, removal has been uneventful but not for me. It was painful!!!! I didn't feel the ceramics were overly comfortable but they definately were less visible from a distance which was a nice feature. So I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons!

babyduck

#6 Post by babyduck »

Well, I'm brand new (just got my braces on Monday), but I'll give you my opinion so far. My upper teeth are braced with In-Ovation clear, and my bottom teeth are braced with In-Ovation metal. From my understanding, the clear In-Ovation is a brand new option. It's been my experience that adjusting to the lower metal ones has been trickier. They just poke into my lips more severely. I've hardly noticed the upper clear ones at all. Neither one has been too awful except the metal ones chaffe hard when I'm trying to eat.

I don't think I've made enough posts to have a signature, but you can go to the "Our Braces Story" section and see my new story complete with pics. I was a little disappointed in the look of the clear ones just because the ones on the model in the ortho's office that I looked at were obviously not the exact type that I'm wearing. They're not *quite* as discreet as I had hoped for. But so far, so good. My doc really likes the In-Ovation type braces and I'm glad to follow where he leads.

Either way you go, though, your mouth will adjust. I would make the decision based on what look you like the best because pain is subjective, and my opinion having both metal and ceramic in my mouth, it's hardly distinguishable between the two. Like I said, I'm a little more uncomfortable with the metal, but not enough to be a deal-breaker if I wanted metal on upper and lower.

Don't forget to check out my story if you want to see pics of the In-Ovation braces. Hope that helps :).

Stacy

Carolinahigh12

#7 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Well I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Not sure of what type they are, but they are both the same size. I havent had any problems with either so I cant say that one works better than the other. They are both comfortable and descret, but it doesnt help that I chose pink lig for my first colors :). My lips arent poked out like many say when they chose ceramic, and I am pleased with both my upper arch and lower arch choices. My ortho prefers giving adult patients clear uppers with no extra charge. If it would have cost me more, then I would have just gone with all metal.

TTYL
:-1
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

I'm with Smile. The ceramics look good from afar but they're a b**ch to remove. I've had several brackets repositioned during the last 6 months; the metals come off easily, but the ceramics can fracture.

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

KK is right that this topic has been discussed on this list several times.

Currently I have five ceramics on top and metal everywhere else. At my last adjustment two of the ceramics were loose and a third popped off when the archwire was removed. In my case, the ceramics don't want to stay with my teeth's enamel. As I understand it I am not an isolated case, but rather uncommon. The teeth were connected together with a powerchain. I cannot express my frustration. I almost felt like Christmas had been canceled. The night before I was patting myself on the back that I had done well to take care of them and my problems with my loose brackets was finally over. In my first three months I had about six loose brackets; four on one tooth with a root canal that was switched to metal in November (I started in September) and two I knocked off by mental lapses.

At my next adjustment (or sooner if they get a cancellation), they will all be switched over to metal. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the appearance. I am hopeful it will put loose brackets in my history.
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Bellita

#10 Post by Bellita »

thanks so much everyone who has helped.

baby duck
your response was very detailed, thank you for taking the time.

karen,
I did try the search tool but i came up with sooooo many threads and most of them had nothing to do with comparing metal to ceramic. maybe i am not using it correctly but thanks for your advice. By reading I did notice that there are differences in info do to what everyones ortho's are telling them, but what I really want is everyones personal experience with what they chose and how they personally feel about it.

Luckly that is how most of you responded, thanks again to everyone. :thumbsup:
(If it makes any difference its $400 dollars more for the six top ceramic, and its coming out of my pocket)

christy874395

#11 Post by christy874395 »

i have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. :)

Dimples

#12 Post by Dimples »

I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers.

Yes the ceramics are bigger, but they are more comfortable and smoother!

My metals are small self litigating brackets, but they really poked and pinched terribly. after a few days, my mouth has adjusted to the metals, but incredibly(even though they are smaller than the ceramics) they feel bigger....so I have a little more adjusting to do. :wink:

They are also more of pain come eating time.

SandraJones

#13 Post by SandraJones »

(me) My orthodontist told me that the metal brackets are lower profile so they'll be more comfortable.
(KK) ... in most cases this is incorrect. The ceramic brackets will either be the same distance from the teeth or closer and if they're closer, you'll need all ceramic, no mixing. Most are the same ... they have to be, or ortho's wouldn't be able to mix the brackets on arches the way they do. If one was lower than the other, it would pull those teeth up ...
I guess it depends on the types of brackets. My orthodontist showed me the ceramic and metal brackets she uses, and the metal brackets were indeed much smaller, both in footprint and projection (profile, depth, whatever it's called ! :-) ) She did not offer mixing except to offer ceramic on top and metal on bottom. Just for the reasons you mention it might not be possible for her to mix the two types on the upper. That does sound like a good idea though, to use ceramic just in the front uppers, metal everywhere else.

The metal brackets my orthodontist uses are quite tiny. They looked to me like brackets for children ! I will find out the manufacturer and model on the day that they are installed on me (2 weeks from now). I only know that they are not Damon type.

Thathrill

#14 Post by Thathrill »

I was given the choice of ceramics or metal with a cost difference of $400. So I opted for ceramic. While slightly bulkier I don't mind them at all. What I like most is people hardly ever notice them. One time, a person didn't even notice them until several hours later and we were hanging outside in the sun. lol
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

PoliGirl

#15 Post by PoliGirl »

I have ceramic on upper and lower. I had to pay $400 extra but I am happy with my decision. The appearance issue of braces has been hard for me to deal with so I'm glad they are not more shiny and noticeable. The issue of ligs can be more problamatic though.