My Bday was today :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ava

My Bday was today :)

#1 Post by Ava »

Hi everybody
After what already seems like a long journey after 4 extractions i was finally braced today. clear uppers, metal lowers. quick overview of me...i have a severe overbite/overjet and lower crowding (there is more going on as usual but thats the two main issues). I've already been put in elastics (my ortho is getting straight into it!) and I must say I'm feeling sorry for myself with this pain! My poor teeth theyve been yanked and spaced and now braced! :P
Anyway just thought id share my b-day with everyone. Anyone else put in elastics so soon? This feeling in my mouth is so unusual, I really didn't know what to expect before i went in!
:)
Ava

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

Congrats on getting braced. It sounds like you've been through a lot already to get to this point. Your ortho starting elastics so early is going to make the first month more difficult than most. I would suggest you keep your OTC pain reliever handy and don't let the pain get the best of you. I'm sure you'll be able to adjust but you need to pay close attention to warm alt water rinses and trying to chew to keep the blood flowing.

Hopefully you have pictures pre braces. If not, your orthos probably took some. Take pictures with your new braces as soon as you can. When you get disgusted with the process, look at the progress shown in those pictures. Even after a couple of weeks or a month, they’ll give you great encouragement.

Welcome to the journey. Whatever you do in this process try to have fun. Maintaining a positive attitude truly will make this a good experience instead of a treatment to tolerate.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Ava

That sounds like quite an ordeal for one day :( Make sure you rest up at much as you can for a day or two, because it can be a bit of a shock to the system. A soft diet for the first couple of days might be a good idea (and chocolate melted on the tongue works wonders too, it's medicinal). Don't be tempted to baby your teeth too long though, as chewing actually helps.

If you find it all too much then like Mike said, some OTC painkillers such as ibuprofen will help take the edge off the discomfort. Taking some half hour or so before eating will make mealtimes more comfortable for you.

Hang in there!

cwatt1

#4 Post by cwatt1 »

Welcome Ava, and best of luck with your treatment!

I concur with Mike and Lisa that you'll need to keep the painkillers handy for a few days -- also drink plenty of water as that will help your mouth to adjust and enable the lips and cheeks to slide over the new wires and brackets with less abrasion.

I have many of the same issues as you do -- no overjet, but I do have an overbite, class II maloclusion and crossbite. I've been told elastics are in my future, too -- though not until about halfway through my treatment.

Take good care :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

discomom

#5 Post by discomom »

Ouch!! Reading this scares me :shock: !! I know that from reading what the others have said that the pain will go away soon. Your teeth have been run through the mill the past few weeks. Once things settle down, I am sure they will snuggle in quite nicely. Congratulations on your beginnings of beautiful teeth! Take care. Lori

babyduck

#6 Post by babyduck »

I got my elastics on day one, too. That extra pressure is a difficult adjustment, but just wear them as much as possible (I only take mine out for eating and brushing and when I'm on stage because I'm a singer and I can't open my mouth as wide as I need to with them in) and your teeth will adjust to them before you know it. I do find that they chaffe a little worse than the actual braces, so keep water nearby. I found Ibuprofin to be a Godsend, as well!

Poeticbraces

#7 Post by Poeticbraces »

Ava Congratualtions!
We will be able to compare notes, as my B-day is Wednesday. So, you are not alone! However, I must admit that so far, my journey has been less painful than yours. No tooth extraction and ceramic braces will be fitted to top only this week. Bottom and elastics will come in about 6 months' time.

Talk to your teeth. Tell them you are taking good care of them, that you will make them beautiful and that hurting you is no way of thanking you for the efforts you are doing. Thank them for all the efforts they are preparing to make, tell them you are conscious of such efforts and that there is no need to put you through pain to demonstrate these efforts. This is less crazy than it seems...