be honest, painful or not to have wisdom teeth removed??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

be honest, painful or not to have wisdom teeth removed??

#1 Post by poloaa »

my ortho told me that i need to have 3-4 wisdom teeth removed after the treatment done. I am worried how painful to have them removed?? Some said not painful at all, but just bleeding all day....pls tell me about your experiences, thanks so much.
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

PoliGirl

#2 Post by PoliGirl »

Not to freak you out but I did have quite a bit of trouble with mine, however they were very impacted. I was told ahead that I was a little bit of a difficult case as I have a very small mouth that doesn't open very wide so it's hard to work in there. Anyway - I was swollen for about a week, had numbness and tingling on my lower lip because they hit a nerve, would up getting dry sockets despite carefully following directions, and had related jaw/sinus pain for about a month. As I write this I'm wondering if my oral surgeon was just really bad. Not to worry though, my experience seems to the exception.

Pepper

#3 Post by Pepper »

I had all four of mine removed at once last summer. It was more uncomfortable than anything. Most people had told me that it would suck horribly and be the most painful thing ever and all of that, but it really wasn't all that bad. I was uncomfortable for a few days, but it wasn't unbearable.

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

Are you located in USA? In USA dentists remove wisdom teeth even if there is not really a need for that. My boyfriend is from UK, and his NHS dentist told him not to let American dentists pull his wisdom teeth.

I had very small wisdom teeth and they were removed just like that (inj Finland).
A dentist send me to get them removed although I did not have any pain etc. Later on I lost one molar and one wisdom tooth could have possibly replaced that. But in my case the wisdom teeth were useless. I would have been angry if they had been ok....

Thathrill

#5 Post by Thathrill »

I had all 4 of mine done at once and was put under for the procedure which I highly recommend. Everyone was telling me horror stories but mine was pretty uneventful. I had no pain nor swelling. I didn't need the pain meds at all. I was more annoyed with the absorbable sutures (stitches). But everyone heals differently.
Last edited by Thathrill on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Zondrae

#6 Post by Zondrae »

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed under a general. It wasn't too bad, but I was very swollen & bruised for about a week & needed prescription pain relief for the first 2 days post op.

Why are they waiting until after treatment to remove them I wonder? It seems more the norm to remove them before/during treatment. Maybe ask that question before you progress?

Meloho

#7 Post by Meloho »

The biggest thing I remember about having my four wisdoms removed (all at once) was that I was soooo nervous, I was in tears. Knowing that i would be that way, my ortho prescribed me Valium to take the day before and the day of, but I was still a wreck. The freezing took a little while - he froze all over like normal, but once he started yanking, I could feel it, so he had to freeze again all over and I could still feel it. Finaly, once I was frozen and one tooth was taken out, I was feeling a lot better, the next two came out fine and my nerves had calmed down a lot. The last one broke, so he had to pry the last couple bits of the root out, but it didn't really hurt once the freezing took effect. I dont' remember if there was pain after the fact...maybe I took too many Tylenol 3s after...lol! It was as it always is, way worse when you don't know and are nervous, then you look back on it and think, "it wasn't so bad."

chillin-in-grilz

#8 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I had 3/4 wisdom teeth removed, 2/3 was impacted. It wasnt bad at all, just some soreness and bruising. It wa sunbaerable, I just lived on pudding for 2 weeks :)
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

rafs

#9 Post by rafs »

I would say it depends, I've had all 4 removed 2 at a time 10 years apart, first 2 hurt quite a bit afterwards, i was sore, swollen and couldn't eat properly for a couple of weeks. i also remember an inordinate amount of pushing and pulling to get them out which left me with a very sore jaw after the local anesthesia wore out.

The 2nd pair were much easier, and the pain went away after a couple of days.

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

I've only had one removed, it was a lower tooth, fully erupted and upright. A relatively uncomplicated extraction, in other words. It was pulled by my regular dentist under local and I think the bleeding stopped after about an hour or two. I didn't need painkillers.

jennandtonic

#11 Post by jennandtonic »

I had all four removed at the same time.

HONESTLY, yes, it was painful, however, the worst thing about it was having to curb my eating for about a week because of the swelling.

It wasn't the worst thing about braces, though, I'd say the most painful thing was/is getting the molar bands put on.

chillin-in-grilz

#12 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

But then again, i dont think it really hurt cuz i had 6 teeh removed at one. I didnt have the wisdoms out separtly, so my opinion is not exactly accurate
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

discomom

#13 Post by discomom »

I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 17 which seems like 100 years ago. The thing I remember most was they told my mom to go and get me a milk shake on the way home. I was REALLY groggy and I spilled some cause I feel asleep in the car, and I yelled" OH, F - - K!!! My mom said" you are sooo lucky that you are still groggy or I'd slap your face!! :shock: I didn't really have any trouble though. I mean, it was sore but nothing really bad. When I went to the dentist to have my stitches out though the dentist accidentially stuck scissors right in the hole. OUCH :x But I lived through it. Funny thing, I only had 3 wisdom teeth. Go figure. I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Good luck!! Lori

Tin Indian

#14 Post by Tin Indian »

I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at one time about 20 years ago. It was non braces related . I had two of them which had cracked due to large fillings in them and decided at that time to have them pulled all at once. I went home and ate steak that night and ate the packings that were in the empty sockets. THAT WAS A BIG NO-NO. As I was in severe pain until I went back in to have then repacked and then I had no pain at all. I had introvenous pain killer and that really helped for the pain when they did the surgury.
T.I.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

babyduck

#15 Post by babyduck »

I had two wisdom teeth taken out about 6 years ago (I'm one of the lucky folks who only had two...no bottom wisdom teeth). I was anestaetitized for my procedure, so that itself was no sweat :). I did have killer headaches for the week following, though, which I used my painkillers they had prescribed for. One was partially out and giving me absolute fits and had been for years. It was trying to cut through, but had nowhere to go and it caused severe swelling that would often lead to massive throat and earaches. I put up with that for about 9 years!!! The other was actually impacted. Anyway, other than the headaches, I don't recall any major discomfort. It was FAR more painful to deal with the flare ups the one was giving me. The doc gave me some sort of rinse that I used as directed and I guess that helped me avoid any infections.