Cosemtic Bonding AFTER Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

active

Cosemtic Bonding AFTER Braces

#1 Post by active »

So my ortho has informed me after 2 years in that the two teeth on either side of my two front teeth are too narrow and would because of this a gap has formed after the straighting period.

Instead of closing the gaps with a chain, which he tried for exactly one month, or elastics he suggested just getting cosmetic bonding. Is this normal? I dont want to spend an extra thousand dollars for bonding? If that were the case I would have never gotten braces and just got veneers to begin with. If anyone has had similar suggestions from their ortho please let me know. Thanks.

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi,

You have to remember that you are dealing with the human body. There are no guarantees, only expected results. But I can tell you that with dentistry and orthodontics that things do not always go as you plan or hope. Bonding is a viable recommendation and may be the best solution for you. I would have a talk with your ortho at your next appointment. Find out if the recommendation for bonding is because attempting to close the spaces will result in problems elsewhere. You can almost always move teeth in any direction, but doing so may put the tooth at risk, or create an interference, or negatively effect your new bite. A small space is perfectly healthy as long as you keep it clean. Think of David Letterman or Condi Rice. But, many people find spaces less then ideal and you may be one of those, no problem. Bonding 2 teeth will probably be a few hundred dollars and i'll bet you would be very pleasantly surprised with the results. If you have any doubts, schedule an appointment with your GP for a mock up. Many people will do a "dry run" on any bonding with patients where you sculpt composite in your mouth without properly glueing it down so you get the idea of how it will look. You can even go home with the temporary bonding in place to show a spouse or friend. Without being done properly it will fall off pretty quickly or you can flick it off with an instrument...not a big deal. I wouldn't discount bonding as an alternative, but that is just my opinion.

Good Luck,
Rory

active

#3 Post by active »

well my ortho said that because my the two teeth on either side of my 2 front teeth are narrow it would look unnatural to close the gap that had formed. Ive had consults for bonding and its about $1,200. Im in L.A. So I'm not too sure what to do. I'd rather have him close the gaps but i agree, as well as the other drs I had consults with, that my teeth are a bit narrow and bonding would be good a solution but I'm still unsure if $1200 is worth it.

SecondTimer

#4 Post by SecondTimer »

I have the same situation. My upper arch was expanded with archwires to make room for crowding on the lowers and as a result, spaces have formed around the upper laterals. I was told the best way to deal with the spaces was with bonding, however, I was given the option to power chain them together for a less than ideal result. I scheduled a consult with my general dentist and negotiated a price of $400 for bonding on two teeth. My ortho said near the end of treatment he'll remove the upper brackets so I can get the bonding, then he'll rebracket them and close any remaining gaps.

active

#5 Post by active »

that sounds like a good solution. my ortho just asked my dentist where the teeth should be place and after i get my braces off (later this week) he'll bond them. thanks for your reply, i forgot to mention, but i also had an expander. its comforting to know someone else is in the same situation.

britt27

#6 Post by britt27 »

Hi active,
I have yet to get my braces on, but... I have a tooth next to one of my front 2 teeth that is also narrow. It's called a peg-lateral tooth, it's really skinney! Anyway I wanted to let you know that I am 27 and when I was 18 I had bonding(a composite build-up) put on it by my dentist, to make it look like the other teeth and more natural. I am very happy with it and the way it still looks. It is just like a normal tooth. And it feels like all your other teeth-smooth!! I've also never had a problem with it at all, it's like it has been my natural tooth all along. Your dentist will match the color of the composite material to your teeth and they will shape it up for you to match. My dentist even handed me a mirror and aked if I like the color and shape. I can't remember how much it cost, but I do think it is well worth it! Mine is still in great shape and my Ortho is even able to put my braces on with it (which I am getting in 2 weeks!!!) Anyway, I hope this helps you out. Just remember your Orthodontist & Dentist do have your best interest at heart and they will recommend what is best so I would trust them. Good Luck, I think you will be very happy with your end result!! My results from just one skinney tooth being bonded was a world of a difference! :wink:

SecondTimer

#7 Post by SecondTimer »

Brit27's reply reminded me of the term my ortho used to describe my laterals. He called them 'peg laterals' Just out of curiosity Brit, did the dentist have to numb you're mouth for the bonding? I forgot to ask! I'm going to get the bonding either way though.

rsprouse

#8 Post by rsprouse »

Brit27's reply reminded me of the term my ortho used to describe my laterals. He called them 'peg laterals' Just out of curiosity Brit, did the dentist have to numb you're mouth for the bonding? I forgot to ask! I'm going to get the bonding either way though.
On rare occasions they might. But there is no real need. S/He may roughen up the surface of the tooth a little with a bur, but not enough to warrant anesthesia. Peg laterals are "malformed" in a sense that they are under developed in shape. They are actually fairly common, and plenty of people elect for bonding or veneers as an alternative.

Good Luck,
Rory

britt27

#9 Post by britt27 »

Second Timer-
No my dentist never numbed my mouth, I think like Rory said it only occurs in certain cases. I guess if you have to have the tooth grinded down alot. But I'm not sure. Hope all goes well with your bonding, I think you'll like it!! :D