chewing gum, OK?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinum

chewing gum, OK?

#1 Post by platinum »

Just wondering if it OK to chew gum when having braces.
Chewing gum does not stuck to my braces or it has not broke anything.
I read frominternet that with thin wires chewing gum is not recommended.
I have been chewing gum, because it removes little food residues between my teeth.

SnowSara

#2 Post by SnowSara »

I chew sugarless gum all the time! My ortho said it was fine. I agree, I like how it dislodges some "gunk" after eating before I can get to my toothbrush.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Pepper

#3 Post by Pepper »

I chew sugarless gum constantly. I was told not to, but it's yet to be a problem.

Thathrill

#4 Post by Thathrill »

I was terrified to chew gum until someone posted a similar thread and a lot of people hear said they still chew gum. Before being braced, I chewed Extra but I find that Orbit is much better. I don't chew gum a lot like everyday or for long periods. I occaisionally get gum caught on a molar hook but it comes right off. I have ceramics uppers/bottoms and metal brakets on the molars. Also have a power chain on the bottoms
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

wonky mcsnaggletooth

#5 Post by wonky mcsnaggletooth »

I have been chewing gum almost every day since I had my braces put on. Almost like Violet Beauregard. I recommend Trident with Xylitol...apparently the Xylitol is actually good for the teeth? Plus this brand has never stuck to my equipment.

Gum has been a lifesaver for me in lessening the throbbing after adjustments, plus I personally feel it has a hand in moving my teeth faster, since I am constantly putting pressure on my teeth by chewing literally all day. I could be wrong, though--but my biting surfaces seem to align back together comfortably after chewing one piece of gum after an adjustment....

Tin Indian

#6 Post by Tin Indian »

Usually I don't chew gum but the ortho actually told me to chew gum as it stimulates blood flow and encourages saliva all which help in movement and lack of soreness in your teeth. Just make sure it is sugarless. I chew a ton of Orbit gum myself .
T.I.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

chillin-in-grilz

#7 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I find that my jaw now gets tired from chewing gum. It hasnt b4, until i got braces
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

texbrace

#8 Post by texbrace »

My Ortho gave me a sheet of "don't eats", which included gum and about every other non liquid food imaginable :roll:, but i chew gum and have never had any problems with breaking anything so far.

:!: The answer to your questions :!:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/search.php

Salacia

#9 Post by Salacia »

I was told categorically by my ortho that I shouldn't chew gum as it would break my brace :(

goldmetal

gum

#10 Post by goldmetal »

I'm a gum chewer as well. I love Orbit Sweet Mint. I chewed Extra before I got braces. Now it seems to have a metallic taste to me. Plus, it tends to stick. :)
Braces on 12/19/06
Treatment time: 24 months

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

I found that Trident gum stuck quite badly, but Orbit is OK.

Clairey Fairey

#12 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I was told not to, no big loss for me anyway coz I don't really like the stuff.

Heard Orbit is good for teeth though

PARR

#13 Post by PARR »

I chew gum. I quit smoking years ago with the gum, and I like it. Many sugarless, many not sticky, many have cleaning properties. I like Orbit and my ortho said it was fine. YES! (cause I'd be cranky without it.)