Should bands be shredding my tongue? Do I have a bad Ortho?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

swizzlefiz

Should bands be shredding my tongue? Do I have a bad Ortho?

#1 Post by swizzlefiz »

I just got my 2nd molar bands put on last wednesday. They are shredding my tongue! I cannot talk, swallow or chew. I've been going through atleast a box of wax a day and it is only a little relief. I've had braces for 6 months now so I'm used to all the pain but this just seems like too much! I called my Ortho and told them how much pain I was in and they said they'd have someone call me back(still waiting) but that the soonest appt would be in 3 days.
I'm starting to think I just have a really bad Orthodontist, but then how would I know?? I've never dealt with any other one. Here is what I can tell you about him and please tell me if its normal: No one in his office EVER tells you what they are doing or what to expect. They only tell you to open your mouth. They do not tell you that something may cause pain or how to help fix it or what is normal. There is NO communication. Of all my appointments I've only had 2 in which they did NOT pull off a bracket. So about 6 of 8 appointments they have pulled brackets off. I'm seriously considering just going in and tell him to take the things off. Thats how fed up I am.
My next question is if he really is that bad, how do I change?!?! I know you can change if you are moving, but can you change just because your orthodontist is awful?! Please help, I'm about to give up! :(
Last edited by swizzlefiz on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

eggraid101

#2 Post by eggraid101 »

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience. :( To address some of your concerns:

1. the bands can irritate your tongue, and it can be very annoying. You should ask the office if there is anything that can be done to make it more comfortable, and hopefully they can see you before your next appointment.

2. It is not uncommon to have brackets removed and replaced from time to time, there is nothing wrong with this. As your teeth move the brackets can be repositioned on the teeth to continue moving them smoothly and effectively.

3. Poor communication is tough to deal with. If I were you I would talk to the orthodontist about this. Just tell him/her 'hey, I feel like I don't know what's going on and I would really like to know more about what is happening at each appointment.' Hopefully that will help imrove things, but as a last resort you can transfer from one orthodontist to another. It tends to make your treatment longer and depending on how much more treatment needs to be done it can be just as expensive as when you first started. I would consider this a last resort.

Good luck resolving these issues!
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

swizzlefiz

#3 Post by swizzlefiz »

to clarify ... they are not repositioning my brackets .... they are pulling them off while taking off my o-rings. It is not done on purpose, the woman is just that rough.

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

Definitely go back and deal with those bands - you shouldn't have that much discomfort. And I agree with what others have said - your brackets shouldn't pop off like that. It's not normal.

At my ortho's office, the staff usually tell me what they're doing. (And it's not just because I am an adult - they talk to the young patients as well). I usually have a very quick chat with my ortho at each appointment, just to talk about progress and what's to be expected. On two occaisions I have booked extra appointments strictly for discussing my treatment. (I was a surgical case, so I had a lot of questions). I think you should bring up the communication issue, and hopefully once the staff are aware that you care about what's going on, they'll start talking to you!

EmmyD

band problem

#5 Post by EmmyD »

The first few days of getting my molar bands were wierd, everytime I'd go to eat something the band bracket would get cought on the side of my toungue. It'll still do it ocassionally, but not as bad as before. Trust me it'll get better the only thing I can say to help is try water rinses or something that'll keep your cheeks from becoming inflamed.

Good luck!!! :-*

ghostmyimag3

#6 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I don't have cleats, i have lingual buttons and yeah they will shred your tongue but mine can't be removed. My only advice to you is keep putting wax on them. It does get better but even now i have a day that my tongue will be irritated because i have pinched my tongue in them. But like i said it goes away. Just hang in there.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

pumpkinpatch

#7 Post by pumpkinpatch »

I hope this isn't a silly question, but what is the purpose of cleats or lingual buttons? These terms are new to me. Thanks!

SandraJones

#8 Post by SandraJones »

I am experiencing these problems right now ... just got my braces put on yesterday morning, upper and lower, with bands on all four 1st molars. The upper bands have attachments for headgear which my orthodontist said I will not be wearing, and I wish I had gotten plain bands because these attachments are killing my cheeks ! Well, they were before I put wax on them. I'm going to see if they can be bent toward my gums a bit.

I'm also experiencing irritation on the sides of my tongue from the lower bands. It's not horrible but I wish it could be smoother. Wax won't stick there. I'm going to see if they can smooth down those areas during my next visit, though I might give up and go in sooner if the irritation gets much worse. My next appointment is 4 weeks away.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion