gap in my front teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trequ

gap in my front teeth

#1 Post by trequ »

yesterday i had a visit to the ortho for an adjustment...
they are now trying to rotate my 2 front teeth out because right now they are pointed inwards or something? im not really sure about how to explain that...

i look in the mirror and to my horror there is a small gap between my 2 front teeth!!!!
im freaking out here.. does anybody know if this is normal? and will my orthodontist fix this gap or leave it there?!

i dont have another appointment for 5 weeks and i dont really want to go back in and ask them if its normal... im too shy for that :oops:

TeresaTX

#2 Post by TeresaTX »

I hope you decide to ask your ortho...it's your mouth and treatment and as I'm learning you should be an active participent!

However, in answer to your question, I believe it is perfectly normal. I've had several gaps open while pulling my teeth into a better arch and they generally get addressed in the next adjustment by use of a powerchain.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

I got a gap between my front teeth two days after getting upper braces.
I think it will be closed. I got a gap there when I had an activator as a kid. I quit the treatment and the gap closed by itself.

trequ

#4 Post by trequ »

well i'll definatly ask next appointment.. i just dont want to go in randomly to ask a silly question
but thanks for the replys!! if i happen to be passing by the place while they're open maybe i'll stop in to ask.. but they arent open very often
hopefully it will be fixed next month

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Oh man, I've got a gap in my lowers that wasn't there before. I trust that my ortho isn't going to let me walk out of there with a gap in the middle of my teeth after investing in treatment. Actually, I've got gaps galore since he started moving teeth around to fill in the extraction gaps. I've learned to just deal with it and keep it clean. :D
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

trequ

#6 Post by trequ »

that makes me feel so much better that this is a normal occurance...

a friend of mine had braces.. and the ortho left a gap in her front teeth.. it was worrying me that this would happen to me too..

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

Wow....I never knew anyone who had braces and took them off with an intentional gap.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix