laughing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cwatt1

#16 Post by cwatt1 »

I never cover my mouth. I'm proud of 'em :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

jf74

#17 Post by jf74 »

I covered them the first few days, not anymore, let them see the braces ;)

Anyway I realized most people don't even notice them ( got ceramics ) or simply don't care.

When I eat .... ouch, that's another story, I cover my mouth until I am done eating and I had at least the chance to rinse off and remove most of the food.

fangface

#18 Post by fangface »

When I had my "flipper" in (a retainer type thing with a fake tooth on it..) I would cover my mouth when I laughed. It looked really bad and I had it for almost 1 year. UGH.

Now with my braces on, I am no longer wearing the flipper to cover the hole where a tooth once was.

I thought I would look *extra* bad, but the braces themselves distract folks from looking at alla that.

I'm proud of my braces in that I think they are a direct- yet "indirect" way to say I give a crap about me and I'm doing something nice for myself.

Yeah.

:-V

Ava

#19 Post by Ava »

I agree GinaLime
I had 4 extractions about a few weeks ago and i always cover my mouth when i smile wide because im a 20 year old girl and I feel self conscious that there are gaps at the side of my mouth. Did you happen to have your bicuspids (1st premolars) removed- which are the 2 behind the eye teeth. Because you cant notice them smiling front on but you can from the side. I was very distressed when i first looked in the mirror after the extractions. Now im ok with it and looking forward to starting treatment to actually get a wriggle on with the process but I still find myself covering my mouth. I will probably stay in this habit for a little while with braces too before i get used to it
:)

katmc_tx

#20 Post by katmc_tx »

When I first had my braces placed I was covering my mouth but now that I"ve had them on about a year and a half I just let things happen. Except when I'm eatting, I still cover cause there is no telling whats showing.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Milk n Cereal

#21 Post by Milk n Cereal »

I'm getting braced tomorrow and I'm pretty confident that I will still go on smiling and laughing like normal, showing all of my teeth. :D However I'm predicting that like katmc_tx, I'll cover my mouth when eating so I don't have to show the world half of my meal stuck around my brackets!

Click on WWW below for my story!

Sistermadly

#22 Post by Sistermadly »

I show my teeth more now than I ever have in my entire life. I've spent so many years smiling with closed lips and hanging my head down when I laugh that I'm having to learn how to laugh and smile all over again.

married2abuckeye

#23 Post by married2abuckeye »

For some reason, I find that I am much less self conscious about my teeth now that I am braced. When I smile/laugh big, my lips get "stuck" over my braces, so it's like I get stuck in a big smile. But I don't mind, I guess because I feel that now people will be admiring my metal mouth, instead of just noticing my crooked teeth. I even tell people not to be jealous of the "bling" in my mouth ;)

:-#)

Follow my metal-mouthed journey here

platinum

#24 Post by platinum »

I do sometimes cover my mouth. I am not anymore smiling that much.
I am getting rid of my smile wrinkles :D

Pepper

#25 Post by Pepper »

I cover my mouth when I laugh sometimes...but only if I'm trying to be quiet or if I'm eating or something.

I'll usually just let it all out and laugh, though.

Clairey Fairey

#26 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I covered my mouth more before I had braces than I do now!!

I cover my mouth when eating in public sometimes when my teeth hurt, coz then I end up eating with my mouth half open!!

PARR

#27 Post by PARR »

no cover ups here...my partner and I got wired up together, this morning. I saw him try to talk without moving his lips, and besides hurting himself, he looked and sounded addled. He opened up, and looked like a guy in his early (rather than late) 20s getting his teeth straightened...kinda cute actually (real cute actually) Me, I'm not inhibited; being a phys therapist I gotta tell it like it is for my patient's well being and improvement whether they're 13 and recovereing from a broken wrist or 60 and recovering from hip replacemnt.

So I say open up and look natural...if you're comfortable, everybody else will be .

Salacia

#28 Post by Salacia »

I do feel a bit self-conscious if I have been eating, but other than that I'm very proud of my braces :D

Traceymay

#29 Post by Traceymay »

Definately smile, big grinning ones - Its costing a lot to put my teeth straight so i'm definately not covering up!!. :D Though I do agree after eating food. I'm always checking and cleaning.