Ever felt crooked teeth held you back in life (pre-braces)?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jackie100

Ever felt crooked teeth held you back in life (pre-braces)?

#1 Post by jackie100 »

I was wondering if anyone ever felt that your crooked teeth (before braces) held you back in life?

Perhaps you couldn't date the person you wanted or land the job of your dreams because of imperfect teeth? I mean, image is extremely important, and I think teeth in a way could be a good indicator of social and socio-economic class (I hope that doesn't offend anyone).

The reason why I think straight teeth are a good indicator of class is because here's no reason for anyone not to have straight teeth other than money. The reason why I don't have perfect teeth as an adult now is because my family couldn't afford them as a child/teenager, so now that I have my own money, of course I am going to fix my teeth! If you have a good income and kids of course you are going to want them to have straight teeth.

I also feel that not having a perfect smile can EXTREMELY limit a woman in life because a lot of men would not want to date someone with crooked teeth (if the guy is desirable himself, most likely he would not date someone with crooked teeth), teeth are part of the overall package and everyone knows that looks count... And also vice versa for men as well!! Teeth are an important part in attraction, most people are not attracted to crooked smiles or bad teeth.

Do you ever think that your life could have turned out different if you had braces at a young age and had perfect teeth as an adult? That perhaps you would had more opportunities in life, been much more successful, had access to a more desirable dating pool, etc?

In a way I think that having braces and enhancing your teeth could be a life changing experience, on a much bigger scale then people realize or want to recognize, in the way that people perceive you and your overall class. It can change your perceived "social-class", your "socio-economic class", you will have a better dating selection, more job opportunities, perhaps things could happen for you that NEVER would have happen if you were to have crooked teeth.

I think that it's possible that bad teeth can even affect someone's financial net worth and overall wealth. If you have good teeth, you make a better impression on others, and other people are more drawn to you. I think it's more likely for someone with straight teeth to become successful in life vs someone with crooked teeth etc... At least it would be easier for the person with straight teeth, they would have a "hand up" in life in all aspects versus someone with crooked teeth.
Last edited by jackie100 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

Clairey Fairey

#2 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Yep. I was really un-confident and shy which had a big impact on my social life.

I think my life would have been completely different if I'd have had stright teeth and a nice smile because i would have felt good about myself. Instead I never had the guts to go and do what I wanted. I kept thinking people will judge me coz of my teeth :(

Well anyway that all changed a couple of years ago when I met a lovely guy whu gave me loads of compliments and introduced me to a new social group and a new life!! Since then I decided to get my teeth fixed which has improved my confidence even more and I'm now doing everything I always wanted to do....so yey!!

Oh people don't judge u coz of your teeth, it was all in my head that people were staring at me and thinking bad things. Maybe a few really shallow people did but they're not the sort of people I'd associate myself with anyway :D

Whitters

#3 Post by Whitters »

Yes, I believe my crooked teeth held me back. I never smiled with my teeth showing, my lips were always together to hide my pertruding front tooth (formed from thumb-sucking of course). Recently though, for the first time in my life I have no problems giving a full smile (although I have braces). For the first time in my life I'm really smiling!! :D - It's a wonderful feeling.
Also, I'm "model material". Everyone has told me that I should model, I want to myself but I was always ashamed to because of my teeth. Now, next year I'll definately get into it!

And what you said, jackie, about the indicator of class is in a way true. I remember that was the first thing my friend told me when she heard I was getting them. And my other friends was saying, 'but it's expensive though'. I'm just glad that I saved up some extra money while working last year to be able to get it done. I'm proud to say that I'm 21 yrs and didn't need to ask my parents for help (financially).

Also, I have a friend right now, she has an overjet and needs braces. She recently had a job interview and she told me.."If I don't get the job, it's because of my teeth"...So yes, especially in jobs that's high on appearance having straight teeth is DEFINATELY important.
B-day: May 14th 2007

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

From a personal perspective, I've never been very confident so I don't think having crooked teeth made that any worse. I'm not aware though of having missed out on any dating or employment opportunites as a result of my teeth.

I'm in the UK though, and adult orthodontics is still a very small part of the market compared to the US. Even kids do not get orthodontics routinely. I don't think a lot of British adults even realise that braces are an option. I had assumed until around 18 months ago that once you stopped growing then you couldn't have anything done about malocclusions other than to disguise them with veneers or crowns. Dental work is also comparitively more expensive here. It costs on average almost twice as much in real terms as it does in the US. I would imagine that in general, people are reluctant to spend a pretty large chunk of their disposable income on orthodontia. So in general in the UK, it isn't a rare event to see an adult with misaligned teeth. I don't think people generally judge others on the straightness of their smiles. Most people have said to me that they never even noticed I had anything wrong with my teeth and were surprised I'd decided to get braces (and no I don't think they were all just being polite)

Slightly crowded teeth are such a common sight that in general nobody thinks anything much of it here. It's just an "imperfection" in the same way a bump on the nose or very large/small breasts. Braces tend to be considered more along the lines of a nose job or a boob job - if the person wants it then fine, nobody's going to condemn them for NOT doing it. It's not the same as sniffing somebody's rampant BO, or seeing a mouthful of rotting stumps when they smile, and thinking "how much does a bar of soap or a toothbrush cost for heaven's sake"

I find it quite saddening really that so-called civilised society has "evolved" to the point where minor deviations from perfection can be considered to hold a person back in life. It makes no sense really, because humans are attracted to attractive potential mates because they are likely to produce healthier stronger offspring - yet now that you can get Botox in your lunchbreak and a boob job while on holiday, this obfuscates the truth. When you pick your mate based on their physical attractiveness, how are you going to know how much is genetic and how much of it is thanks to the surgeon's knife???

jackie100

#5 Post by jackie100 »

Yep. I was really un-confident and shy which had a big impact on my social life.

I think my life would have been completely different if I'd have had stright teeth and a nice smile because i would have felt good about myself. Instead I never had the guts to go and do what I wanted.
I feel a bit of the same. I have to admit that I'm also bitter about not having had it done when I was a child, it would have been so much better to have had it done earlier and who knows, perhaps my life could have turned out differently, who knows.

I don't entirely blame my mother, it's not her fault completely, but I do blame her a bit. She never got me braces when I was younger (ok, no money, I understand) but when I was older in my 20's would always tell me to go get them. I feel like it all should have been taken care of when I was younger.

I get bitter when I see young kids at the orthodontist, they are gonna turn out with perfect teeth when they get older.
Last edited by jackie100 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lionfish

Re: Ever felt crooked teeth held you back in life (pre-brace

#6 Post by lionfish »

I was wondering if anyone ever felt that your crooked teeth (before braces) held you back in life?
Nope, I've gone out there, grabbed life by the throat and throttled it.
Perhaps you couldn't date the person you wanted or land the job of your dreams because of imperfect teeth? I mean, image is extremely important, and I think teeth in a way could be a good indicator of social and socio-economic class (I hope that doesn't offend anyone).
Yes it does. I've had a successful business career and married a great guy who cares more about who I am than what my teeth look like. And as for perfect teeth being an indicator of socio-economic status - not where I come from.
The reason why I think straight teeth are a good indicator of class is because here's no reason for anyone not to have straight teeth other than money. The reason why I don't have perfect teeth as an adult now is because my family couldn't afford them as a child/teenager, so now that I have my own money, of course I am going to fix my teeth! If you have a good income and kids of course you are going to want them to have straight teeth.
You are sadly deluded. My parents were well to do, but none of their three children did orthodontics (even though we all needed it). We had plenty of overseas trips, however, and I'll always thank my folks for having given me a wider perspective than I seem to be encountering here.
I also feel that not having a perfect smile can EXTREMELY limit a woman in life because a lot of men would not want to date someone with crooked teeth (if the guy is desirable himself, most likely he would not date someone with crooked teeth), teeth are part of the overall package and everyone knows that looks count... And also vice versa for men as well!! Teeth are an important part in attraction, most people are not attracted to crooked smiles or bad teeth.
What?????? We are only limited by the barriers we set ourselves.
Do you ever think that your life could have turned out different if you had braces at a young age and had perfect teeth as an adult? That perhaps you would had more opportunities in life, been much more successful, had access to a more desirable dating pool, etc?
Never, not for even a nanosecond. It's pointless speculating about things that you can't change. My philosophy is to get on with my life and make the best of it.
In a way I think that having braces and enhancing your teeth could be a life changing experience, on a much bigger scale then people realize or want to recognize, in the way that people perceive you and your overall class. It can change your perceived "social-class", your "socio-economic class", you will have a better dating selection, more job opportunities, perhaps things could happen for you that NEVER would have happen if you were to have crooked teeth.
Straight teeth will not change your socio-economic class, trust me on this. And while I'm happy with my orthodontic treatment, it is certainly not a life changing experience.
I think that it's possible that bad teeth can even affect someone's financial net worth and overall wealth. If you have good teeth, you make a better impression on others, and other people are more drawn to you. I think it's more likely for someone with straight teeth to become successful in life vs someone with crooked teeth etc... At least it would be easier for the person with straight teeth, they would have a "hand up" in life in all aspects versus someone with crooked teeth.
Come to Aussie, dear, you'll find plenty captains of industry (women too) with less than perfect teeth.

jackie100

#7 Post by jackie100 »

You are sadly deluded. My parents were well to do, but none of their three children did orthodontics (even though we all needed it). We had plenty of overseas trips, however, and I'll always thank my folks for having given me a wider perspective than I seem to be encountering here.
Sorry but I have to disagree, if you have money nowadays why not go on overseas trips AND have orthodontics for your children? If someone can afford it, why not do both?

And I do think that teeth is one of the indicators used to measure class. Most people are very sensitive about social class but fact is that people do judge you based on class, I think some people even do it subconsciously without even realizing it. Good teeth is only a small part of that, just one of the MANY indicators of class.
Straight teeth will not change your socio-economic class, trust me on this. And while I'm happy with my orthodontic treatment, it is certainly not a life changing experience.
Straight teeth could possible greatly affect how people judge you (even subconsciously). If you have two people with identical stellar qualifications and one has a perfect appearance, and the other very messed up teeth, I think the more presentable person will get it.
Yes it does. I've had a successful business career and married a great guy who cares more about who I am than what my teeth look like. And as for perfect teeth being an indicator of socio-economic status - not where I come from.
You met a great guy then, but most guys are NOT that easygoing, some males have told me they would not date someone with very crooked teeth, so by having imperfect teeth one is limiting the pool of people who are willing to date them. Most men are very appearance obsessed and I think imperfect teeth would bother them IMMENSELY. To the point where they would not even consider the person in question. And the same applies to women as well, a lot of women want a guy with a nice smile. It goes both ways. I think women are more forgiving with physical appearance flaws though, but as for men, like I said, a lot of men have told me they would not want to date someone with crooked/bad teeth.

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Sorry but I have to disagree, if you have money nowadays why not go on overseas trips AND have orthodontics for your children? If someone can afford it, why not do both?
My parents are not alive and/or mentally competent to answer that question for you. Suffice to say that orthodontic treatment wasn't common when I was a kid and my parents did not see it as a priority. I bear no ill will towards them for their having made that choice. They gave me a great upbringing and education which enabled me to launch a successful career, marriage and a life. Straight teeth wouldn't have changed any of that.
And I do think that teeth is one of the indicators used to measure class. Most people are very sensitive about social class but fact is that people do judge you based on class, I think some people even do it subconsciously without even realizing it. Good teeth is only a small part of that, just one of the MANY indicators of class.
If you can provide me with a credible reference or source for your assertion that straight teeth are a measure of social class, I may take you seriously. Until then, forget it.
Straight teeth could possible greatly affect how people judge you (even subconsciously). If you have two people with identical stellar qualifications and one has a perfect appearance, and the other very messed up teeth, I think the more presentable person will get it.
Is this some kind of dental affirmative action?

jackie100

#9 Post by jackie100 »

If you can provide me with a credible reference or source for your assertion that straight teeth are a measure of social class, I may take you seriously. Until then, forget it.
It's a sign of higher socio-economic class because it's not something everyone can afford and therefore could possibly be interpreted as a status symbol. There's no reason for anyone to have imperfect teeth except for lack of money.

It's obvious that perfect teeth are a status symbol, just look at Hollywood, everyone has had veneers and laser bleaching and therefore : perfect teeth. Really white teeth used to be more of a status symbol, but not so much nowadays with the new Crest Whitestrips even the "common people" can have white teeth.

If you look at most wealthy people, I think you will notice they all like to send their kids to the best schools and also to the orthodontist... why? Because they can afford to!

It's a sign of being affluent because it's human nature to want to fix something which is not considered attractive, and if you are able to fix it, it means that you have the economic means to do so. Why would someone purposely choose to have crooked teeth if they have a choice?

Anything that is a luxury is considered a status symbol and status symbols are signs of wealth.
Is this some kind of dental affirmative action?

lol, no, not really. I was bored reading through some old posts here in a thread titled "Will braces change your life?" or something similar and many people stated that it would not. I just found that a bit strange because from my observation, it would make all the difference in the world, even to the people who would be willing to date you, or as to how it would affect the way that people would treat you in everyday situations. I think it would make an ENORMOUS difference. As for me personally, I think it would change MY life DRAMATICALLY for the BETTER, from the people who would be interested in me, to just the opportunities in life that I otherwise would not receive...
My parents are not alive and/or mentally competent to answer that question for you. Suffice to say that orthodontic treatment wasn't common when I was a kid and my parents did not see it as a priority. I bear no ill will towards them for their having made that choice. They gave me a great upbringing and education which enabled me to launch a successful career, marriage and a life. Straight teeth wouldn't have changed any of that.
My question wasn't directed towards your parents specifically. I just meant that in today's world, in this day and age, if someone has money, they should definitely put their kids through orthodontic treatment. It makes all the difference in the world. And today, if some kids don't get that chance, I think that the only thing holding them back is finances.

I don't think that I want kids, but let's just say if IF I did I have kids, now that I have the money, I would definitely give them orthodontic treatment if they needed it. I would NEVER have them endure what I did due to not having perfect straight teeth and I would want them to have a good start in life without having to worry about their teeth. Unfortunately I did not get the same in life, but better late than never I guess.

jackie100

#10 Post by jackie100 »

Straight teeth are more a sign of a higher "economical class" or "financial class", I guess that's what I meant, because it means that you can afford it.

Financial class is one segment of overall class and therefore affects it directly. The proof that straight teeth is a measure of financial class is that only people that have money can afford it.
who decides what needs fixing ... what is considered attractive or not attractive?
As for this part, I've read articles, which have been backed up with studies/data which listed what the universal traits were that men look for in a woman and vice versa. Certain features are more appealing because they signal health and the ability to bear children, such as a certain proportion between the waist and the hips, a symmetrical face and body, etc This is not something I made up, it's frequently mentioned in many books and shows about beauty or attraction... I would think that straight teeth is a part of that because it falls in line with the symmetry part.

Here is something to back it up http://www.usaweekend.com/03_issues/030 ... metry.html

Studies show that "beautiful" people actually are just "more proportional" people.

and

"And although bilateral (left-right) symmetry might not be a bona fide health certificate these days, it has been a marker of good health and genes throughout human evolution."

Crooked teeth are usually not symmetrical, if the left side or right is off, it's obviously not symmetrical.

And also here http://www.uic.edu/classes/orla/orla312 ... Health.htm
if you scroll down a bit to where the diagrams are of the teeth, it talks about teeth, symmetry, and mathematical proportions.

As to your question as to what is considered attractive or not, it's basically something that is hardwired in our genetic makeup and evolution, and it's also backed up by science.
Last edited by jackie100 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

dubnobass

#11 Post by dubnobass »

Gotta say I agree with lionfish and KK here. I think the OP is defending their own (large) prejudices about looks and money with excuses about class.

I've had bad teeth all my life, and yet somehow some poor soul took pity on me and married me, a succession of people gave me jobs I applied for, I have friends, money, and am happy. But oh, as of a year or so ago, and after all the above events, my teeth got straighter. Hooray for free dental treatment, huh? Do I have to remain as a lower class, worthless bum in your mind, because I didn't pay for my straight teeth?

I think it's far more fundamental than class - I take issue with 'image is extremely important' - I don't think it is. Maybe to some people, but not others. I think if you're blaming your teeth for any failures in your life, you're looking in the wrong place.

I'm sorry if my post sounds a little aggressive, but the OP is frankly offensive.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

jackie100

#12 Post by jackie100 »

Gotta say I agree with lionfish and KK here. I think the OP is defending their own (large) prejudices about looks and money with excuses about class.

I've had bad teeth all my life, and yet somehow some poor soul took pity on me and married me, a succession of people gave me jobs I applied for, I have friends, money, and am happy. But oh, as of a year or so ago, and after all the above events, my teeth got straighter. Hooray for free dental treatment, huh? Do I have to remain as a lower class, worthless bum in your mind, because I didn't pay for my straight teeth?

I think it's far more fundamental than class - I take issue with 'image is extremely important' - I don't think it is. Maybe to some people, but not others. I think if you're blaming your teeth for any failures in your life, you're looking in the wrong place.

I'm sorry if my post sounds a little aggressive, but the OP is frankly offensive.
Well, I certainly didn't mean to offend you. It's DIFFERENT for every person, some people don't care at all and don't find that it affects them at all. That's great.

There ARE a lot of people whom are affected in some way due to not having perfect teeth. I know I am not the only one because other people have mentioned in this topic that it affected their self confidence, affected their ability to get certain jobs, or the way that they felt about themselves, so I know it's just not me.
Last edited by jackie100 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Salacia

Re: Ever felt crooked teeth held you back in life (pre-brace

#13 Post by Salacia »

jackie100 wrote:I also feel that not having a perfect smile can EXTREMELY limit a woman in life because a lot of men would not want to date someone with crooked teeth (if the guy is desirable himself, most likely he would not date someone with crooked teeth), teeth are part of the overall package and everyone knows that looks count... And also vice versa for men as well!! Teeth are an important part in attraction, most people are not attracted to crooked smiles or bad teeth.
That's terribly sad! In my experience, my less than perfect teeth have never held me back from dating desirable men! And to be perfectly honest, if someone was sufficiently shallow to be put off by a slight imperfection then I wouldn't want to date them anyway. Maybe they could try putting a brace on their personality to see if that helped.
Last edited by Salacia on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackie100

#14 Post by jackie100 »

Yes, that is sad Salacia, but that is what some men have told me; that teeth are part of the package for them and they would not want to date someone with crooked teeth.

Salacia

#15 Post by Salacia »

Then I respectfully suggest that those men aren't worth dating.