Are your brackets "perfectly" positioned?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pumpkinpatch

#16 Post by pumpkinpatch »

Relating to this question, I have also noticed that sometimes brackets are positioned more toward the bottom of the teeth, whereas sometimes they are more toward the top or more in the center. Is there a reason for this, or is it just the way different orthodontists position brackets?

platinum

#17 Post by platinum »

Are you talking about your lateral incisor, the tooth next to your front tooth (central incisor) ? I think it looks good.
I would like to have the teeth straighter and not to overlap the central incissor. For me it looks that it is not correctly positioned.

SandraJones

#18 Post by SandraJones »

platinum, it looks like the bracket on your lateral incisor is correct with respect to the tooth, it is in good position horizontally and vertically. Imagine the tooth completely straight as you want it, will the bracket be nicely straight with respect to horizontal and vertical too ? It looks like it will be. Of course it's kind of hard to tell from just that one photo.

pumpkinpatch, in that bracket positioning document linked to in my earlier post, it appears the goal is to get the bracket on the anterior cusp of the tooth. I suppose on some people that cusp is lower than on others. My upper central incisor brackets seem too low to me, but when I consider the cusp I think they are right on. I'm guessing that's done because the tooth is thickest there so it's the best spot to handle forces.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Koolmama

#19 Post by Koolmama »

Hi Sandra,

Thanks in advance for sharing your photos with me... i am looking forward to seeing them! :D

Btw, it's really difficult to get a good shot of my molars 'cos they're so far inside (and dark) so i'll just put a link here to a photo of my canine exposure which my ortho took for me last week...

Guess you can't really see much... but this is really a picture of my right side and you can see the brackets are placed somewhat in the middle of the 2 molars... On the left side, however (not in the picture) they are much lower down (gingival) thus you can see more of the "tooth" or enamel above the bracket compared to here...

Also, if you take a closer look at the canine (the tooth next to the gap), the bracket seems to be a little slanted to the side? Not sure what the ortho was thinking when he placed this one... sigh... :?

Btw, does anyone know if our lower canines are supposed to be perfectly level with all the other teeth (in the lower jaw) or aesthetically, are they supposed to be slightly 'elevated' above the other teeth?

PS/: Sandra, i will try to take a photo of my uppers next week if i have the chance :wink:
SandraJones wrote: I'm really interested in seeing your brackets on your teeth, would you be willing to post a pic, even just temporarily ? I will update mine this weekend and you can see how mine are placed. I have bends in my wires now but as my teeth straighten out I will have few if any bends.

PoliGirl

#20 Post by PoliGirl »

Platinum,

I have one that looks like yours. My ortho said that while the tooth is aligned in the arch pretty well, it is actually a touch twisted and when it is straightened the bracket will look properly centered.

Jennine

#21 Post by Jennine »

I had 2 canines that were up high and the bracket for one of them fell off after about 1.5 months. When she put it back on, it moved into alignment within a month and now looks perfect. The other one however, is only 80 % down, and looks twisted. I'm thinking he might pop it off and reposotion it so it will come down and untwist like the other one did when i explain to him what has occured.

Mind you Im only on month 4, there is stilll sooo much time before i have to worry about esthetics. I'll tell him about it, but if he doesnt pop it off, im ok with that..... for now. I'll give it another 5-6 more months to correct itself before i start to worry. I trust my ortho, hes great.

Depending on where you are in your treatment, i would choose to adress it or wait a bit