Is it normal???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hopeful_4_2day

Is it normal???

#1 Post by hopeful_4_2day »

Is it normal for your ortho with whom I only met twice he has a big staff that does most of the work to only put brackets on and not the wires?

TeresaTX

#2 Post by TeresaTX »

Yes...sounds normal in my experience, the wires are put on by the assistants in my ortho's office.

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

The beginning was the ortho because I had some really crooked teeth and a wayward that he wanted wired.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SnowSara

#4 Post by SnowSara »

Mine didn't even put my brackets on - well he sort of did beforehand, on his computer (brackets placed by the assistant with the orthoCAD tray system). He oversees all the assistants at once and always comes to check their work and talk to me about my progress and all that at each adjustment, but he has never actually done any of the "work" himself.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

MissDiana

#5 Post by MissDiana »

An assistant put my brackets on, then the ortho came and checked her work and tweaked the placement of a few of them, then she sealed them with the light and put in the wire. Also, an assistant does my adjustments, then he comes and checks the work and we talk about what we'll do next time.
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

JoviFan

#6 Post by JoviFan »

MissDiana wrote:An assistant put my brackets on, then the ortho came and checked her work and tweaked the placement of a few of them, then she sealed them with the light and put in the wire. Also, an assistant does my adjustments, then he comes and checks the work and we talk about what we'll do next time.
Same here -- the assistant does most of the work...they usually take off the ligs and the wire then he'll come in and say what the next wire should be or whatever changes need to be done. The assistant put my brackets on also, he did a quick check b4 she sealed them with the light - I hope when I get the lowers on that assistant does as good a job!!!!! Almost 7 months and none have come off!!! :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

Clairey Fairey

#7 Post by Clairey Fairey »

My ortho does all the work and the assistant just passes the stuff to her

Zondrae

#8 Post by Zondrae »

my ortho does all the work too. The assistant just passes things & fetches stuff for him.

Rainy

#9 Post by Rainy »

What Meryaten says is very much true. The scope of practice allowed by assitants can be very different state by state here in the US, as well as other countries. My ortho only came over and tweaked a few brackets, his assistant did everything else, including dropping a few on the floor and spilling the bottle of cement. :)

Rainy

chillin-in-grilz

#10 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

The assistnats do most of he work. The ortho just tells tem wat to do. The only thing he does is check to see how things are going. But he didput o the brackets and stuff, and the orto assisted with the assistants in the bonding and stuff.

It seems to me that the seond level of any proffession does the most work and less pay lol

Like a doctor: The nurses i find do all the work. They just prescribe stuff.
Orthos: Some do it all, some just assist, some not at all.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

LuvBug26

#11 Post by LuvBug26 »

At my orotho's office the assistant does most of the work. The ortho actually put my brackets on but when that was done the asst. came and finished the rest up. And at each adj. the ortho replaces my wire, checks my bite and teeth and talks about my progress and stuff but the asst. puts my ligs on.

"To error is human, to forgive is divine."

SnowSara

#12 Post by SnowSara »

I don't even consider my ortho's office to be a very large one and he still oversees the assistants instead of doing the work himself. I do not feel short changed in the slightest, my ortho is very attentive, he just doesn't need to do the hands-on work himself when he hires such wonderful, capable, smart assistants. At every appointment we discuss my treatment and have plenty of time for chit chat and any questions I may have.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.