smelling after bands taken off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pilotgurl

smelling after bands taken off

#1 Post by pilotgurl »

Why does it taste so bad and smell when they take your molar bands off? Is it because you didn't brush well enough right before they got put on? did yours smell? lol

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

It wouldn't be down to not brushing properly beforehand. Bacteria wouldn't survive under bands for months and months if they were properly sealed off from the outside world!

Chances are that there was a small chink between band and tooth which wasn't properly filled in with glue when the bands were put on, or some stuff might have got under the gumline and not been flossed out effectively.

SandraJones

#3 Post by SandraJones »

It could also be the cement. It probably reacts a bit to all of the food and toothpaste it comes in contact with. I know this isn't a perfect analogy, but if you've ever renovated an old house and drilled into plaster you know that it STINKS !!!! I'm sure it doesn't stink that bad when it's first put up, and nothing is really wrong with it, it just develops this horrific stink after a while. :-)
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

SandraJones

#4 Post by SandraJones »

Does it go away ???? :-)
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

flipib05

#5 Post by flipib05 »

Yeah mine really were stinky too. It was gross. I almost threw up. lol. But it soon went away.