Corn on the cob

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sherri

Corn on the cob

#1 Post by Sherri »

This sound goofy but I can't wait to eat corn on the cob like everyone else who has straight teeth and has nice even rows when they chew it off. When my teeth were crooked it looked like a rat chewed on it. My husband would always laugh about that. Right now I have to take a knife and cut it off!Can't wait! Can't wait!

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

I eat corn on the cob, I'm just careful when I bite in.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

My mother in law was going to fix corn on the cob for me on my last visit. My wife prevented it. The way I knock brackets off it was a good thing. As for those who have tried it with braces. I'm impressed its worked, Plus clean up for me would take longer than the eating.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

During the 3 years I had braces, I cut the corn off the cob and ate it with a fork. Otherwise....what a mess to clean it all off your braces!

If you have never cut corn off the cob before, it's very easy. You just need a sharp knife.

Stand the corn on its tip (so that it's standing up vertically). Put a plate underneath it to catch the kernels. Position the knife so that it's near the bottom of where the kernels join the cob, and just cut the kernels off so that they fall onto the plate.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

When I eat corn, I use my bottom teeth and I pull the whole kernel off. That's just the way I've always had corn and it seems to work. Pulling the whole kernel off leaves less mess in the front and nothing stuck in my teeth. *shrug* I guess it's something you pick up from years of practice. :wink:
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SnowSara

#6 Post by SnowSara »

I just nosh right in like I always did pre-braces: row after row like a typewriter!
Then I cover my mouth and run to clean up, because it is indeed a big mess, but totally worth it! Besides, if you're eating corn on the cob, it's safe to say you are either at home or in another casual environment, so I allow myself this little disaster ;)

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

gunter8888

#7 Post by gunter8888 »

It seems that part of the fun of eating corn on the cob is the mess. I love the butter dripping down the chin and the kernels popping as they are bitten. However, braces bring a level of mess that I just don't want to deal with. This time of year I miss corn-on-the-cob dearly, but I think I will probably just wait until I am brace-free. Hopefully this time next year I will be enjoying it to the fullest.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

PrincessMelody

#8 Post by PrincessMelody »

I had only had my braces for 5 days before I sank into a big ear of corn cooked on the bbq. It was delicious! And I am probably going to have some tonight. I've pretty much eaten everything I did pre braces, just a lot more carefully.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

smile2006

#9 Post by smile2006 »

You know I could never eat corn on the cob because of my open bite. After jaw sugery I can.....JOY OH JOY. Funny thing is I've had my braces off just over two months and it is only recently my teeth felt ready to bite into something like that!

*Denise*

#10 Post by *Denise* »

That's the first thing I am going to eat when my braces comes off!

I eat anything I want except for corn & the cob and toffee.

Toffee I don't care for!

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

The maize (corn) crop in the UK has just hit the supermarkets, but I've decided to forgo it this year. My overjet is so big at the moment that I'd never be able to bite down onto the cob! :lol:

Like Meryaten said, cutting it off the cob just isn't the same. If I want loose kernels I'll just buy a can of them.

I'm hoping to be able to enjoy fresh corn next year.

*Denise*

#12 Post by *Denise* »

Enjoy! :P

idolfan4

#13 Post by idolfan4 »

I remember having to cut my corn off the cob. I hated it :x . I never wanted to eat corn on the cob at all when I had braces, but my parents insisted I should, but I would have to cut it off the cob. It was complete torture :evil: . Now I don't have braces anymore and I don't have to go through that task. Thank god. :)

HeyTeach

#14 Post by HeyTeach »

My kids came over for the traditional BBQ on Labor day, (grown and out of house). Burgers and corn on the grill, baked beans etc. As we were setting up and serving my daughter asked me if I wanted the corn cut off the cob. My son did a double take. He hadn't noticed my braces. I told them, "It's my turn now!"

Cor1

The only way I have ever eaten corn on the cob is...........

#15 Post by Cor1 »

Hi everyone, well the only way that I can remember eating corn on the cob is with a knife, I always cut it off the cobb before I eat it!!!

It will be a new experience to eat it right off the cobb!!

Cor1