Power Chains - how often to they change yours?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gunter8888

Power Chains - how often to they change yours?

#1 Post by gunter8888 »

I have had power chains on my lower, front 6 teeth for about 4 weeks now. They seem to be doing a good job. My ortho has me coming back every 2 weeks to have just the power chains changed. Its not a big deal because I am always in an out in less than 15 minutes, but I am wondering if anyone else has their power chains changed every 2 weeks?
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Close enough, my appointments are every 3 weeks.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

my appointments are at 6 weeks. I had to go back in 1 week after my last adjustments to get my wires clipped and he wanted to change the chains lol
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

travelbug

#4 Post by travelbug »

So far I've only had them changed every 4 or 5 weeks. But one time I went in after two weeks to get my wires trimmed, and while I was there my ortho changed them because they had turned yellow from food I'd eaten. I was surprised and asked about it, and he said that changing them was okay at that point because "it had been two weeks."

sjsarre

#5 Post by sjsarre »

I've got power chains on to finish my tops off but I only have tiny gaps so i'm not having them changed before my debanding day in just over 5 WEEKS!!!

TeresaTX

#6 Post by TeresaTX »

I've never had a special appointment to change a powerchain...so every 4 or 6 weeks for me.

mariahfromchicago

why every 4 weeks?????

#7 Post by mariahfromchicago »

my ortho office is stuck in the dark ages (o.k. maybe not the computers). But he makes me go EVERY 4 WEEKS! My friends go to a different ortho and go every 6-8 weeks!!! can I just have appointments less often?

I don't think I should go because he is really mean to me. He put me in a headlock and brushed my teeth. I have to speak in a different accent for him to be nicer to me and he's not nice to me at all.

I hate my ortho and want to go there less often.

What happens if I miss an appointment?

- mariah

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

Maybe Mariah is a youngin who is just being a child. Has anyone read any other posts from Mariah?
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

mariahfromchicago

Miss Smiley LOOK :) KK (Reply) Meryaten (look)

#9 Post by mariahfromchicago »

KK wrote:Mariah I can't tell from your post what age you are, but if your ortho is mean to you, can you ask an adult for help ... like a parent? Some ortho's still like the four weekly intervals between appointments and since your's is one of those people, then this is what you need to do.

Missing appointments ... I suspect your ortho would be unhappy about that ... if fact I'd expect him to be unhappy about that, as it could affect your treatment and also affect his routine.
He put me in a headlock and brushed my teeth.
... what do you mean by a headlock and why did your ortho brush your teeth for you? Was anyone else present when this happened? My ortho doesn't brush teeth, that's not what he's there for. I'm sure he tells people if they're not doing a great job, but if any help with flossing or brushing is needed, he has a staff member demonstrate and then the patient does the work on their own teeth. My idea of what a headlock is, would mean that not only is your ortho unprofessional, but in many countries I suspect he'd be breaking the law.

I recommend you get an adult to go to your appointments with you and hopefully it won't be many more months before your treatment is over. Good luck! :banana:

Thanks for caring! :)
He held my head still and grabbed a toothbrush and brushed my teeth. My mom does go with me to appointments.

I live in Texas, United States. In the office, everyone there has southern accents (y'all, fixing to do something) <-- To me that is a bad word. I am from Chicago, Illinois, U.S. I am not used to people saying things like that yet.
A little about me:
I am 13 years old.
Honor Roll Student.
Loves: Theatre, music, real estate, money
ortho. treatment: 2 years braces! :(

Miss Smiley, I am 13 years old. He really does do that. Young person being a child?! Ummm... sorry if this is offending you but, you are pointing out the obvious. My mom saw that herself. My orthodontist, I think, is racist against me and hates me because I am from Chicago. I imitate a Canadian accent to try to cover up where I am really from. My cousins have braces. My cousin, Hilary had braces for about a year and got them off because she didn't brush or floss. She got them tightened every 2-3 months. My cousin, Mariana, has braces (traditional), gets them tightened every 6 months! <-- Lucky...

Meraten - I am not exaggerating. I did tell the truth. I did not tape anything.
I will not lie. I don't know about him being a racist or hating people from Chicago. But a friend of my mom's referred me to this "orthodontist". He pretended to be the nicest person ever and turned out to be the exact opposite. I think that he should not practice anymore. He likes anyone who is a blond(e). I am so offended when he treats someone good and I am crying. I have black hair and he doesn't like it at all, usually, people think that my hair is beautiful.

- mariah
hates her orthodontist!

mariahfromchicago

#10 Post by mariahfromchicago »

will do. :)