Bite Plate has gone! Good thing...or not?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fitchick

Bite Plate has gone! Good thing...or not?

#1 Post by fitchick »

Hi Everyone,

I probably got a good bit of news at my adjustment yesterday. DG said that my bite plate has done its job, my lower teeth are no longer touching my uppers and AT LAST the dreaded bite plate can go. "Oh no"! I told him that he couldn't have it because I couldn't now do without it! After 15mths with the bite plate, I have got so used to talking with it in and now I have to get used to talking without it. DG agreed to file the plate back to enable my uppers room to move back and I have been given a reprieve until my next appointment to wean myself off of it. Am I crazy or what? DG said he thinks I'm a nut case! I am trying to get used to not wearing it evenings while I'm not at work. Can anyone suggest how I can adjust to living without this thing? I know most posts are how to deal with living with them not without them. Up until now I have adjusted to everything, but going back to pre-treatment is hard. How has everyone else adjusted?

I also got elastics yesterday, and although I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been in a fight, this obviously means that they are working. Today things are getting better and I've even forgotten that they are there, untiul I yawn.

Thanks for any replies. And good luck to you all.

Fitchick
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

DG said he thinks I'm a nut case! I am trying to get used to not wearing it evenings while I'm not at work. Can anyone suggest how I can adjust to living without this thing?
I adjusted very easily, after one month of wearing it it was very easy to wear only at nights :) (i was supposed to wear it all the time, but it was so annoying). I dont really miss it.

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

Before I respond, I need to ask why you don't want rid of it?

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

joney

#4 Post by joney »

I agree with KK

The only way to get used to life without it is to go cold turkey. I still remember when I was a teenager having a hawley type appliance and feeling strange without it. In the same way as you had to adjust to having it you'll adjust to not having it so I think you'll have to just go without.

Great that it has done such a good job.

I can understand both yours and your ortho's point of view, in that most people would be delighted to finish with it, but for you, well you've just become very accustomed to it.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

fitchick

#5 Post by fitchick »

Thanks everyone!

Platinum you are lucky that you got your results in such a short time, and nights only? That's cheating!!

KK and Joney you are both so right. I just have to bite the bullet. If I even try to put it back in on monday then I am going to take a hammer to it! I won't have the choice then will I?

iBorg That's a good question. Habit I guess. It doesn't feel right without it. And also I adapted so well to having the bite plate in the first place. My speech adjusted quite quickly. Now, without it, I am back to mis-pronouncing 'sh' and 'ch' and words with 'ss' in. I won't put up a fight when he wants the elastics back though I can tell you.

Thanks again for your support. It really helps to know that its not just me going through all this. :lol:
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

If its a comfort only thing, going cold turkey might be good. One problem will be finding a place for your tongue. When I was told to only sleep in it I adapted in a couple of days before I felt comfortable without it. It was much easier to adapt to not having it and talking than speaking with it in.

If you're a grinder, sleeping with the bite plate will help prevent some of the typical grinding damage and TMJ issues. For myself, my ortho has told me to just plan on keeping it. Note my grinding is fairly severe.

By the way, I think you might be the long term bite plate wearer of the group. I'm at eleven months.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

Thanks iBorg,

As we speak, my bite plate is still out. Speaking and pronounching words are my only sticking point now, so I will have to speak loads and loads today to get used to not wearing it at work tomorrow.

I wear my badge with pride too 'Possibly Longest Bite Plate Wearer on the Boards'! I should have had it for 2 years but its done its job already, perhaps because I have kept it in from day 1. I do hope yours helps your grinding.

Thanks for your support.

The Cold Turkey!
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

dubnobass

#8 Post by dubnobass »

fitchick wrote:Thanks iBorg,
I wear my badge with pride too 'Possibly Longest Bite Plate Wearer on the Boards'! I should have had it for 2 years but its done its job already, perhaps because I have kept it in from day 1. I do hope yours helps your grinding.
I think I may have you beat, though perhaps in a different category: I had molar build-ups rather than a bite plate at the front. I had mine for 23 months before they were finally ground off. 23 months of chewing with only two upper molars and two lumps of molar putty on the lowers was a pain in the rear!!
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

fitchick

#9 Post by fitchick »

Hi dubnobass

No doubt you were glad to get those off after 23 months. It'll all be worth it the end we keep reminding ourselves!
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

neas

#10 Post by neas »

I've been using a bite plate for 1 month now and when i take it out to clean it it feels weird.

I totally understand where your coming from heh.

Was your bite plate used to let your back teeth grow? I'm wearing mine and just wondering if its really doing anything at all heh.

iBorg

#11 Post by iBorg »

It will seem like its doing nothing except being there but they do work. Relatively painless but effective. Mine has done its main job. Now it just serve as protection against further damage.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

fitchick

#12 Post by fitchick »

Ah Neas
you are on the same wave length as me, wait until I tell my ortho! My bite plate was used to lower my bottom teeth. I had it in June06 and didn't ever notice that it was doing anything, until I saw photos that my ortho took in Dec06 and it was amazing to see the difference. My bottom teeth used to bite through the roof of my mouth and they were clearly not visible when I smiled as they were behind my top teeth. Now they are much much lower and exactly where they need to be.

You may not notice any differences now but keep a log of photos or ask to see your ortho's and in a few months you will see it.

I have been without the bite plate now for 3 days and still find it hard adjusting, but I'm not tempted to put it back in, I want those top ones to go as far back now as they can.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

Well done Ju, I knew you could do it :wink:

You go, brace buddy. DG will be proud of you!

iBorg

#14 Post by iBorg »

fitchick:
My bite plate will never end my grinding. It may prevent further damage. When I had my initial consult my ortho said it was hard to measure my overjet due to the amount of damage from my grinding. Basically she said that every tooth showed grinding damage. It didn't surprise me as my former dentist said the same thing.

Hopefully after surgery and a good bite is established my grinding will end.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

fitchick

#15 Post by fitchick »

Thanks Lis, I reckon losing that plate is probably the hardest bit of all. Strange as that should be a real turning point. I think DG was surprised by my reaction as I've taken everything else in my stride. We have to keep him on his toes though don't we?!!

iBorg I do hope that your bite plate leads to a halt for your grinding. It is amazing what these people can do for us. I have everything crossed for you and wish you well.

Fitchick
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on