Change of face shape noticeable or not?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SnowSara

#16 Post by SnowSara »

No, I didn't have any extractions. I don't think a thinner face is a bad thing. People ask what my secret to losing weight is!

I looked at some old photos of myself recently and couldn't believe how "round" my face was just a year ago.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

travelbug

#17 Post by travelbug »

I've had 4 teeth extracted. My cheekbones look more pronounced now and my cheeks are slightly sunken in. It's very subtle, though - I think I am the only one that noticed.

sjsarre

#18 Post by sjsarre »

There's another thread active at the moment on the same subject, can't find it just now..

I have had four extractions and have found my face appears thinner with my cheek bones slightly more pronounced but then again I have lost 10lbs in weight since having my brace on so that could be the reason more so than the extractions.

Blonde_Metal04

#19 Post by Blonde_Metal04 »

Hello Archwired!!
I haven't been on the boards in a LOOONG TIME!... (Family/Health issues that were long-stemming kept me from the internet)... Anyway, my face has changed A LOT since getting braced, and my ortho warned me it would. I like the change. My cheekbones are more pronounced, and my bite has changed my jaw area... My chin is more pronounced now as well.. Don't some people chose orthodontics solely to change their face shape?? I think I have heard of that before... :?:
Spacers: 08/09/2006

songbird0462

#20 Post by songbird0462 »

My face has gotten longer, and ive only been in braces for about 2 months. my cheekbones are sticking out a bit more...i like the new look though.

fitchick

#21 Post by fitchick »

Yes, I have noticed a difference in my face shape. Firstly I noticed that my cheekbones are more prominent, and I can live with that! I have had a few people that have noticed this, and some have said that I look like I've lost weight. The last thing I need is to lose weight, and I haven't, but I think maybe my face is now slightly longer thus giving that impression. Also my upper jaw does not protrude as much. I started with a 13mm overjet and I'm now down to 9mm, so this has made a big difference. All in all, I am happy.

Fitchick
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Denise*

#22 Post by *Denise* »

I went from round face to a more narrower face.

dagwoman

#23 Post by dagwoman »

I have crooked smile (not my actual teeth, but the shape my lips make because of my bite) and my chin tilts a little to one side when I smile, so that'll change. But I doubt anyone will notice but me.

danz23

#24 Post by danz23 »

If anyone does come across the other thread on this topic could you please post the link up here? I am really bad at using the search tool
-always seem to type in the wrong word combinations or something! Thanks :wink:
Treatment by a Cosmetic Dentist:
1/3/07-22/11/07: removable appliances
22/11/07-10/2/09: Innovation C on uppers
8/1?/08-10/2/09: Innovation R on lowers
Ortho:
25/2/09-29/8/11: Clarity brackets

ldowns99

#25 Post by ldowns99 »

My ortho pointed out in initial photos that my face sagged a bit on one side. I hadn't noticed it before, but when he pointed it out I could tell. I have ceramics on the top middle teeth and stainless steel on the bottom and back teeth on the top. I had one bottom tooth in front extracted as I had severe overcrowding of my bottom teeth (especially the canines). I have about 5 or 6 months of the braces to go, and while I can't see a big difference in my face, my husband thinks it's changed (for the better). It is amazing how your bite and jaw can affect your face. Best wishes to you!

QKate

#26 Post by QKate »

I don't have braces on yet but I had 4 wisdom teeth, fully erpupted, removed 18 months ago and now I have sags in my cheeks, I don't like it at all!!! It looks sallow. I am hopping perhaps when I get braces that things will get pulled back somehow and change it a little. Oh well!!