Toothbrushes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mmg4eva

Toothbrushes

#1 Post by mmg4eva »

Im not so sure how to brush my teeth with braces on and what kind of tooth brush to get. I get my braces on today. :-}

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Try looking in the dental do-dads section, tons of posts about it there.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I use both a manual soft toothbrush and an electric toothbrush with a rotary head (oral-B). I use the electric one at night and the manual one other times.

I brush as I did before on the insides of my teeth, but on the outsides I do each arch twice. The first time I do the bottom half of the teeth, angling the brush slightly so that the bristles go up under the wire. Then I do the top half of the teeth angling the brush head downward slightly - again to get under the wire. You can get orthodontic V-cut toothbrushes which have shorter bristles in the middle, but personally I didn't get on with it.

Your ortho might give you a goodie bag anyway to get you started, and oral hygiene once braced isn't that difficult. It just takes a bit of getting used to. You'll soon find your own method that works for you.

Good luck today!

SandraJones

#4 Post by SandraJones »

I just use my regular toothbrush. However, my flossing arsenal has expanded greatly:

Reach CleanPaste floss (not recommended because it shreds)
Glide skinny waxed floss
GUM floss threaders
Oral-B threaded floss
tweezers (for picking out shreds)
small pointy scissors (for cutting stuck floss)

I tried using a hemostat but stopped using it when I accidentally clamped my cheek !
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Oh Sandra, I can relate to how my floss tools have taken over the bathroom cabinet as well!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

ldowns99

#6 Post by ldowns99 »

Hi! I use a Sonicare electric toothbrush in the mornings and a manual one at night, but everyone has different preferences. To clean between my teeth and get food out after meals, I use a Water Pik for really messy meals and Gum Go-Betweens (tiny brushes) on a more regular basis to get in between my teeth and clean around the brackets. I love those and they're much easier for me to use than floss (though I do try to floss as much as I can too - it just takes longer). Best of luck to you with your new braces!

Thathrill

#7 Post by Thathrill »

I use a manual oral b brush (regular soft bristles) and the electric crest spin brush. I have received a A+ on my oral hygiene from the dentist and the hygienist. I think using a combo of both really helps.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com