I am officially a Metal Mouth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

whoaskew

I am officially a Metal Mouth

#1 Post by whoaskew »

After 3 years of reading every post I could find and meeting with seemingly every dentist in the city, I finally got braced yesterday.

I initially was trying to get invisalign, but after the 5th doctor told me that wasn't an option, I finally accepted it. Reading posts on here also helped me to realize that I shouldn't choose the product as I am not the expert on the subject. Instead, I should choose the dentist who makes me feel the most comfortable, and trust him/her to use the product on me that they feel is best and will provide the best result.

This board has been extremely helpful to me, and had let to me getting over my "irrational fears" of having something in my mouth that someone may notice. As a 28 year old Black Male running two businesses, an insurance agency and a real estate investment company, I was initially concerned about the impact my new appearance would have on my clients and prospects.

I spent the last couple months reading other people's experiences on this board and noticed a common theme. Most people that you run into don't care what you have in your mouth. In fact, a good percentage don't even notice because they are so preoccupied with whatever they have going on.

The ortho I chose was very friendly as was every member of his staff. They made me feel comfortable and their location is pretty close to me. The funny thing is, in December 2005 when I finally decided to do this, he also was the first dentist that I consulted. I have met with dozens of dentists since then but eventually came right back to him.

He initially scared me off back then because he told me that I might have to get a tooth removed. My wisdom teeth had just come in, but they didn't come in straight. They lower ones kind of came in diagonally, pointing towards and leaning on the other teeth which caused crowding on my lower arch. He showed me pictures of this, but I still wasn't willing to have a perfectly healthy tooth removed to make room. I seeked several other opinions, some said the same thing, and others didn't. I decided to wait.

It has been a year and a half and I decided to give him another try. He took another x-ray and it showed that my wisdom teeth were no longer at the extreme angle they were previously. They are by no means vertical, but I can at least floss in there now. He said that I might still need a tooth removed eventually, but depending on how the treatment goes, I may only need to do some slenderizing, or I may not need either.

He told me he just received his In-Ovation C's and that I would be a good candidate. He said first I would need four separators on each arch. He put in all rubber ones except for the lower, left, rear one had to be metal. A week and a half later, he changed the metal one to rubber.

Here is some picture with the separators in. (Sorry about the quality, I don't know if it is my camera phone, or the lighting).

He told me to keep them in for another week and a half, then come back to get fitted for braces. I went to the office yesterday and to my surprise he wasn't there. He had another ortho look at me and she told me that their In-Ovation Cs hadn't arrived yet, but still recommended that I get fitted that same day. I got self-ligating metal on the bottom, and standard Ceramic on the top.

While she had the lip spreaders on me, attaching the brackets to the front, she told the assistant, "Yes, he is a perfect candidate for self-ligating, his teeth are NICE AND BIG." I nearly died from laughing, as she caught me totally off guard. When she finished, she pulled out about 30 colors for ties, and based the others' experiences that I read about on the board I knew that I didn't want clear ties due to the staining issues. I decided to go with dark blue. Here are some pictures.

Overall I was pleased. The process was pretty painless. Afterwards, I went to visit my parents. My mom runs a home day care and I was there helping out for an hour before she noticed. My dad eventually came home from work, and I was trying my best to get him to notice. I kept talking to him face to face and after a couple hours I decided to do some "extreme smiling" and he eventually said, "What do you have in your mouth?"

If my family took that long to notice, I am sure that a bunch of strangers either won't care or won't notice either. So far so good. Only 18 months or so to go. If I am lucky, I will have them off around the time I turn 30. If not, I'll have fun with them while I got them.
Last edited by whoaskew on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnowSara

#2 Post by SnowSara »

Awww, I am so happy for you!!!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

ilovemacs

Great job for taking the plunge!

#3 Post by ilovemacs »

I'm not yet a metal mouth but will be on Oct. 11.

Hardest part right now is deciding what colour ligatures to get... :D

Good Luck!
Last edited by ilovemacs on Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whoaskew

Cost

#4 Post by whoaskew »

Some people might be wondering what I am being charged for the treatment.

$ 4,800.00 Professional Fee for Orthodontic Services
- 1,124.00 Fee Cap Write Off
= $1,877.20 Cost for Treatment
- 1,550.05 Flexible Spending account from work
- 327.15 Paid yesterday to receive paid in full discount

I am on my girlfriend's insurance policy, and I was told that if she quit, got layed off, or lost her coverage at her job, that may have an impact on the cost of my dental treatment. I was told that the fee cap writeoff could be reduced and that I could owe additional money later if one of those things happen.

Is that true?

Is there anything I can do to reduce the chances of that happening?

After all, I paid in full so I wouldn't have to worry about missing payments if something unexpected happens during the next 18 years while I am getting treatment.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Congratulations on taking such a large step for yourself! You're always welcome to the board to talk about anything on your mind!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

HeyTeach

#6 Post by HeyTeach »

Hey, congrats on doing it. re your question on insurance. As insurance companies often have delays in paying medical practitioners, if the gf got laid off before they squared with the ortho, there may be additional charges, but since you've paid in full, once they pay their part, that should do it, unless there are compliance issues, additional treatment time charges etc. Yeh, I'm doing the insurance thing too and all those conditions were brought up.

gunter8888

#7 Post by gunter8888 »

Congrats on going metalic (and ceramic)!

Some insurance companies make periodic installment payments to the orthodontist, rather than paying their portion in one, lump sum. If coverage is terminated before all of the payments are made the insurance company will not make any more payments. In other words, if the insurance company agrees to pay $1500 of your coverage they may break it up into 10 - $150 payments to the ortho's office. If your coverage is terminated after only 8 payments the ortho's office will likely come after you for the remaining $300. At least that is how my insurance was. Fortunately, they have completed their payments to my ortho.

Best of luck with your new hardware!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

whoaskew

Thanks Everyone

#8 Post by whoaskew »

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome.

P.S. My earlier post said I would be in braces for 18 YEARS, that should have said 18 MONTHS.

fx4

#9 Post by fx4 »

Congrats and welcome. I agree this site was very helpful with my decision to get braces also.

ldowns99

#10 Post by ldowns99 »

Congratulations to you and I will hope that all goes well! I found this site helpful, too, in providing advice and information when I first got my braces (Oct. 2006). Best of luck!

bracesafter40

#11 Post by bracesafter40 »

Congrats on taking the plunge; it was a long time coming, but I can certainly understand where you are coming from. Here's to 18 fun months or the next 18 years :-)...

People do notice your braces, they just don't say anything; I had to mention it to my dad and my aunt, and ditto for my mom; my Dad just said, oh, I noticed...good grief; but that is my dad, so there. My colleagues noticed it immediately and some say something others do not. You will be fine; people will just get used to your metal grin.

It's the cell phone why the pictures are not as good as expected as you are taking sever close ups; try a different kind of camera in the future if you want better pics or one with better pixel clarity.

PS: How did you get your girlfriend insurance to have you as a beneficiary? That is a good deal! You are paying much less out of pocket than I, so good deal.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

whoaskew

#12 Post by whoaskew »

bracesafter40 wrote:How did you get your girlfriend insurance to have you as a beneficiary? That is a good deal! You are paying much less out of pocket than I, so good deal.
My girlfriend works for Sprint and they offer "domestic partner" benefits.

whoaskew

#13 Post by whoaskew »

Here are the new pics!

cwatt1

#14 Post by cwatt1 »

Congratulations on taking this step, whoaskew! Great to have you here and I'm glad this site was so helpful to you in making your decision. Sounds like you really put some thought into it and connected with an ortho you like and trust. Good for you!

Take good care :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

cwatt1

#15 Post by cwatt1 »

Congratulations on taking this step, whoaskew! Great to have you here and I'm glad this site was so helpful to you in making your decision. Sounds like you really put some thought into it and connected with an ortho you like and trust. Good for you!

Take good care :!:

Click here to read about my progress.